“True to the definition of a "HOMEstay"!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lazar Residency Homestay

Lazar Residency Homestay
Ranked #25 of 408 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“True to the definition of a "HOMEstay"!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We are a European couple, living in Hong Kong and we stayed at Joy and Jaicy's place for four nights in January 2012.
The place is really clean, simple and beautiful, with a nice terrace, it's in a very good location of Fort Cochin, extremely close to the very touristic Princess Street, all old churches, temples, Fort Cochin beach and the Chinese fishing nets, palaces and tourist spots, restaurants etc., very near to the Post Office (you can buy and send postcards home from there), walking distance from the ferry (jetty) to Ernakulam, Vypin Island and all other important places in the area.
Now the hosts are really friendly, nice and warm people. Joy's parents, Lazar and Margaret are a really beautiful couple, and Anju and David - their kids are a total joy!:) Everyone really makes you feel welcome, at home, they are easy-going, and they truly go out of their way to help you. Before we left Hong Kong, we needed to book some bus and train tickets in advance, since our whole itinerary was more complex, and we got lost in the maze of the Indian booking system, so Jaicy did everything for us. We paid for the tickets and everything else after having arrived in Kochi. They are honest, giving, generous people and they are an extraordinarily beautiful family. After our trip in Kochi, at a certain point we also reached Trivandrum and we spent a few days in a homestay, as well, and, as nice as it really was, it lacked the warmth and personalised service that Lazar Homestay offers.
Every day in the morning they make breakfast for you and they are so sweet in that they adjust it to your needs, you can have it at any time you are ready. This was also an important aspect for us because, at times, we were really tired and wanted to wake up late or, some other times, we had to wake up early in order to explore some new places or reach a destination we might have had in mind. Coming back to breakfast:), it is authentic Keralite food, homemade and so tasty...: dosa (South Indian pancake), poori bhaji (puffed bread with vegetables), puttu and kadala curry (a rice flour roll with chickpeas cooked in Kerala style), fruit, tea or South Indian coffee, roti/chapatti and vegetables etc. Joy and Jaicy always help with whatever advice you need while in Kochi.
To us, they were the perfect hosts and we did feel a part of their family!

We truly recommend their homestay to anyone who wants to spend some time in Kochi.

Room Tip: You might be interested in the room that has a balcony or another one that has access to the terrace...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bobby_g_6600
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

me and my husband,we stay at lazar residence and we spend a lovelly time there.the rooms are big and perfectly clean,and the mr.joy and all the familly are warm and very kind.the place is very quite and near of interesting places to visit.s.t cruz church,museam gulbenkian,chinese nets,fort cochim,etc.we felt at home.we wish all the best to lazaar familly.and we hope one day return there.

Room Tip: we try 2 diferents rooms both excellent
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Well having spent five weeks with Joy, Jaicy and Family I feel I am in good position to give an honest and concise review of the home stay.
Firstly, I wish I had stayed longer, had it not been for family commitments I would have. Initially I chose Lazar because of the friendly manner in which they replied to my questions and emails. Other well known homestays I had contact with in Fort Cochin lacked a personal touch and seemed not bothered whether I stayed or not.
I started my research and contact with Joy and Jaicy a few months before departure and I am very glad that I had found them.
They arranged transfers for me and were there for my every need, they also gave me very good advice on places to visit and places to eat. They didn't try to push packages on me and activly encouraged my desire to get off the beaten track and away from popular tourist trips.
There are plenty of places to eat around the Fort, but honestly Jaicys cooking is up there with the best places I visited (beef roast was formidable).
Knowing that I was missing my daughter, the whole family made me feel one of the gang and I admit I had a smile on my face every day.

Lazar is a wonderful place to stay, my only regret is that I have to share it with you! as when I next visit, due to how many good reviews Lazars get, I can see that they become a first choice without need to research further. Meaning I will be sleeping on the roof.

I had a wonderful time here and Lazars is a fantastic place to use as a base to stop whilst you explore the rest of Kerala and I can't wait to see them again.

Mark Weyman, Gloucestershire.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
xx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Very friendly hosts. Rooms are good, location- excelent.
The food for breakfact, made by Jessy and Joy is great.
We came back after trip, as our prfered choice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Lazar has the best location! Its not on the main road and Jaicy and Joy are one of the most helpful couples.
Joy asked us about our plans and informed us of the most economical and cheapest ways to get around. the bathroom was exceptionally clean, basic amentites were provided.
The breakfast was included too and it was really tasty. Maps are easily available, Wi-Fi is available too!
All the sightseeing places are pretty cluttered around the homestay and you can easily get around on your own.
Highly recommended!