“A great space to start my Indian holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Garden

Secret Garden
Ranked #4 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Brighton
“A great space to start my Indian holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Just loved this place. I arrived in Cochin after a long, hassled flight. The hotel arranged a pick up from the airport and when I arrived tired, hot and grumpy at 10am Dheeraj sat me down, fed me breakfast, fresh juice and coffee and told me everything I needed to know about Cochin. My room was lovely - simply furnished with a comfortable bed. I spent most of the time there on my verandah overlooking the pool - just perfect. Breakfast is fab and although I didn't take part in the morning yoga it looked great. Other guests were very friendly and I think the overall ambience of the place contributed to this - it's very laid back. Thora, Faisal and Dheeraj all make you feel really at home.

It's tucked away in a backstreet so at first it felt a bit disorientating about how to get into Cochin but I soon got the hang of it. Be prepared for a shock if you're not used to India - the streets felt dirty and dusty at first but after a day I realised it was just in a normal area and it's very safe to walk around in, even at night.

Had a bit of a hitch with my booking. It was for 3 nights but Thora had made a mistake and double booked my room. She was completely honest about this and offered to move me to a comparable hotel for the last night at her expense. I agreed even though I loved staying here as I was on the move anyway and she was clearly in a bit of a pickle. The new hotel was great - see my review of The Arches in Cochin. It was all handled very well and even though I loved The Arches too I would return to the Secret Garden if I came back to Cochin as I liked the atmosphere so much. But you might want to double check your booking!

Room Tip: I had room 4 and loved it
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Carol16
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This really is a Secret Garden; a lovely, tranquil hotel to either start or finish your trip to Kerala or maybe just stay for a week! Even though this is a hotel, it has a very chic but homely feel. The rooms, all located around a really lovely pool are furnished with impeccable taste by Thora the Icelandic owner. The elegant style is a fusion between very traditional Kerala and the best of the west (a welcome change in India!) such as good linen, lights and showers that work, free wi-fi, reliable drinking water, homemade bread, superb coffee, bikes to use whenever and great local staff who really understand the needs of guests whether it be a pick up from the airport at 3.00 in the morning or a nice cup of tea in the middle of the day; the kitchen is open for guests to help themselves. The staff have access to loads of useful local information and Dheeraj's pineapple and water melon juice is to die for! For guests wishing to wind down and relax the two hour morning yoga session in the garden is perfect.
This is the ideal location from which to explore Cochin, we've just booked again for next year :)

Room Tip: Check on the web site and phone to ask about specific rooms as they are all different. http://secre...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
West Sussex U K
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We felt we were staying in rooms with no service. We were not told the House Rules so did not know that we could go into the kitchen to make drinks, much of the time there did not appear to be any staff there.Rooms did not have chairs. Breakfast was good, but only served when the cook was ready at 8.45.A lovely pool and setting but we could have been better cared for

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We had a lovely few days at the Secret Garden. It's in a beautiful secluded spot, about 10 mins walk to the main town center. The rooms are beautiful, especially those in the new block, including the suite. We would really recommend the morning 2 hour yoga - a beautiful way to start the day in a fabulous setting.

Room Tip: Stay in the new block of 3 rooms if possible
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We arrived in Kochi on a very early flight after spending the night at Mumbai airport. The taxi was there waiting for us, as previously arranged by Thora. We were welcomed with a big smile by Dheeraj who immediately helped us with our big suitcase, offered us a healthy western breakfast and made all the arrangements for an early check-in. We spent the day relaxing (and sleeping!) by the pool and drinking Dheeraj's famous pineapple juices! It was without a doubt the best way to start our 2 week holiday in India!

Our room was big and comfortable but a little dark (it is an old colonial house after all!). We had a lovely sitting area just outside our room. Thora, the owner, has such an impeccable taste: both furniture and decoration are high quality and very elegant.The staff was also very helpful and kind enough to share some tips about restaurants: Shala and Dal Roti and about shops: Fabindia and Anokhi.