“Your home away from home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Green Woods-Bethlehem
Ranked #20 of 214 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Green woods Bethlehem is hands down the best home-stay I have ever come across in my travel around India. Both Ashley & Sheeba and their manager were the perfect hosts, warm (with BIG hugs & smiles), very attentive to your needs, helpful.
You feel like you are part of the family the moment you walk in through those gates. A double storeyed structure with rooms on the ground and first floor, the place is surrounded by a beautiful tropical foliage. There's a fantastic roof where breakfast is served and is a perfect spot to just laze around, read and be lulled into a noon nap.
I stayed with my parents and they were very sweet to offer the room with an extra bed at no extra cost, Sheeba befriended both my parents with a hug, a smile and HUGE cups of coffee. While Ashley, helped us plan our trip around Kochi and book cabs/autos.
Rooms are simple but clean, with clean sheets and towels, and prettily decorated with young coconut saplings and wooden furniture.
Would definitely recommend it to fellow travellers. It's a great deal!

Room Tip: Definitely upstairs
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

In line with all good comments. everything was just excelent, sublime breakfast and amazing owners

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I fully agree Sheeba and Ashley are genuine, warm and friendly hosts but I suspect guests giving them 5 stars are more in need of psychologists than looking for value for money accommodation.

I checked in the morning and was given the choice between the upstairs and downstairs room.

I opted for the downstairs room but when I went to sleep I noticed the fan was half broken and the bathroom has a nest of killer ants marching in and out of a large hole in the wall.
To make things worst the bed was not made and there was only one sheet for me to sleep with (no extra sheet to cover) as well as 3 pillows that were (to say mildly) not as fresh as a daisy.

I notified Sheeba that the fan was not cooling at all and I would like to move upstairs and she said fine (as there were two empty rooms upstairs anyway) after some convincing (I would rather sleep in a prison cell than in a stuffy room with 90% humidity at 30c+).

The room upstairs was clean and had ample sheets and a working fan. The next day I asked to stay in the upstairs room and I was "given a discounted rate" for a 30 night stay that happened to be more expensive than the "non discounted rate" that the girls staying there for only 2 nights were getting (!). Annoyed by this I decided to call it quits and move out.

The garden is very nice but you have bare in mind that this is a jungle setting and that there are more mosquitoes, insects and even snakes (especially during monsoon) than urban areas so stack up on powerful anti insect creams and buy some natural garlic cloves (seriously) that acts as a natural snake repellent especially if you opt to stay in the downstairs room.

To cut a long stroy short - stay away from the downstairs room. The window in the WC/Shower is half open and provides zero privacy (i.e: neighbors see you fully naked unless you switch off the lights at night and shower in the dark).

The rooftop is nice but there are traces of the overly relaxed attitude of the hosts there too. After pouring some of the freely provided black tea I opened the sugar jar to find it infested with insects (lice) that kind of made the cake Sheeba made seem not as delicious as it was only a few minutes earlier. This is probably the result of the guests not realizing how important it is to put the lid on the jar but also smacks of negligence as there is an employee in charge of the rooftop who obviously sees no problem with it. The same is true for the table cloths that are infested with lice - a problem that could be solved by washing them more often.

Tempted as I am to give Green Woods 3 stars, I find myself unable to do so and give them 4 instead simply because they are such a warm family and in hope that they get their act together and treat guests more equally in the future.

Room Tip: Don't even consider to stay in the downstairs room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Not Your B
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Sheba and Ash arranged our transfer from Kochi airport over a terrible phone line. When we a rived, we weren't sure what to expect. But they looked after us, helping to arrange our excursions, dining out and onward travel. The breakfasts were good. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. Kochi is definitely worth a couple of night and this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Sheba &Ashley were the most delightful and friendly people you can imagine.
A thoroughj knowledge of the local area and attractions and some great suggestions which we were glad we took.
A nice variety of Indian / western items in the included small buffet style breakfast made this place extremely good value at the price. Rooms basic comfortable and cleaned daily. Beds were firm in a typical Indian style! Greenwoods is set in a beautiful garden Oasis, hidden away amongst the houses. We walked into the centre most days about 10mins or a.very cheap ricshaw ride when feeling lazy!
Would go back there again

• Stayed: March 2012