“Value for Money”

Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Mangalore
Kluang, Malaysia
“Value for Money”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

It wasn't that much to say, but even if I try to deny the fact is Moti Mahal Hotel is great at having all the services together. It has its own swimming pool, great masseur and spa facilities, newly furbished rooms on 4th floor, 3 restaurants and a happening discobar in town. The hotel also connected to a huge Marriage hall, and their own banquet hall is not bad at all.

Don't expect professional treat anyways.. if you expect too much you'll be disappointed though. The management people are nice, and I do hope those traits may also be shared with the other staffs as well. Efficiency of services shall be improved.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I have visited my partner's place on April 2011 and his aunt had booked us in Moti Mahal as she's a regular client and she knows the hotel owner. We worked in a five star hotel as well in the Middle east and we are used to excellent and high standard service. We anticipate the same as we thought they will give 5star service as well. However on arrival, from the reception itself gives a bad impression. Receptions are unwelcoming and doesnt act like in a hospitality industry. No Welcome to the hotel, no greetings and looks like they think twice to smile. We have to offer them first our smile and greetings. Upon check in they were unable to locate our booking and we need to contact the owner about the booking. After the owner called to do the booking, we went up straight to the room. from the lift, oh my we think twice to go in. The lift was open in the middle and we think it was out of order. on the floor lobbly there was no AC. We were given a pool view room and we were fine. The climate outside was so hot so we decided to take shower. And to our surprise, the water was so dirty. they are providing a transparent water bucket in the shower and when you fill in the bucket the color of the water is like a urine. They are providing a room key with a huge key holder displaying Moti Mahal with 5 proud stars. But everytime we try to get in the room its not working. We have to call housekeeping to open with their master keys. We brought up the same complain many times and they end up giving us a master card. From the whole duration of stay we only asked for 1 wake up call as we really need to get up early on the 14th on April but the reception failed to give. their excuse was we didnt give the room number. This hotel should have proper training and standard. They should practice repititions and clarifications on each guest request. Like ''let me repeat maam, you need a wake up call tomorrow at 08:00hrs and your room number is 123''. wake up calls are important. what if the guest has to catch a flight and they fail to give wake up call? I mean they are proudly putting 5star logo outside the hotel but the service is not 5star. We went once in Night Flight and it took 20-30 minutes for a single ice tea to be served. My partner wants 2ice cubes only and the waiter took more than 15min and still didnt come back. It was like 10-15 customers only at that night. My partner has to call a manager and raise a voice to complain. Staff has low product knowledge. We asked each staff how many stars is the hotel. One guy from sales department said 3stars, the staff in the breakfast area said no star, the manager said 4 star. Good that the owner gave us discount in the end coz the service was not worth paying. Only few staffs are friendly. the room was good and the cleaner cleans the room very well.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbears2118
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 16 April 2011

nic ehotel to stay. gud amenities u have and management is also gud . i stayeed for 2 days and u made it RIGHTY THANKS>>>

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

This hotel has been closed for refurbishment and now has quite smart rooms and bathrooms. But at $75 dollars a night it is very poor value. For that price in this location I would expect 4 or 5 star quality - Motihahal is 3 star in terms of service and amenities. The staff are friendly but clueless. Everything takes forever and you need to keep repeating yourself to get anything done. I moved eventually to the new Ocean Pearl which for the same price or cheaper gives real value for money. It's brand new, owned by a local guy and has efficient, friendly staff, good room service and excellent food. Avoid the Motimahal until they get their act together and start pricing realistically.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank shylocktubal

Travellers are raving about these Mangalore hotels

Mumbai, India
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I had very high expectations from this hotel while looking at the reviews on tripadvisor.com . Based on the newly built lobby and newly repainted exteriors , I was also given an impression by the reception i that the entire hotel had been renovated

Based on that belief I had booked rooms for myself and several of my friends in the hotel paying what I feel now were exorbitant rates for the kind of rooms,service and non co-operation that I got from this hotel.

The trouble started on the first night itself , one of my friends had to change his room thrice during the course of the night , reasons ranging from non functioning of air conditioning to uncleaned rooms .I was lucky for the night but the trouble started when I wanted to go out in the morning for the breakfast.My door room wouldn't lock , the phones were not working , so had to deal with the passing staff who had no knowledge of English or Hindi.

No other option left but to send one of my friends to the reception from the 5th floor.Even then there was no sight of any help coming.We were all non Tulu and non Kannada speaking people in the group so whichever room service fellow or cleaner who were passing by ,we found it very hard to communicate to them what problems we were facing.

Finally after more than one hour of waiting for some help to come by from the reception and after sending my friend 3 times to the reception, out of frustration I went down to the reception and blasted the reception for their insensitivity to the issue , then in the next 15 mins , I escorted their hardware guy to the room to have the lock issues sorted out in another 15 mins to finally resolve the issue.

By then we had missed our timing for our complimentary breakfast and only after the intervention from the reception we were given to order our breakfast.Almost all my friends faced issues at this hotel

While we were staying there we observed that only one floor and the lobby was looking renovated and the rest of the hotel/rooms were not renovated , so we requested to be
transferred to the newly done up rooms , where was promptly denied.

We decided to check out from there and instead go to Ocean's Pearl in hampankatta , Mangalore , where we got fantastic service levels from all quarters from that hotel.

From what I understand Moti Mahal is considered to one of the good hotels in Mangalore by locals,but I beg to differ and unflinchingly opt for Ocean's Pearl for my future visits .
The tariff difference between the two I felt were nominal.

Have a pleasant stay in Mangalore

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple