“BADLY MAINTAINED.. BEWARE OF DOGS...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chikkamagalur
Silent Valley Resort
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Chikkamagalur
Mumbai, India
“BADLY MAINTAINED.. BEWARE OF DOGS...”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

1) First of all i would like to start from the mangalore station where i was picked up along with my family and friends, we were totally 6 adults and a kid.. this guy who was sent by the resort to pick us up dint know the address of the resort so we did an extra of 120 kms before we reached the silent valley resort. the distance from the resort to the station is 100 kms and its done in 3 hrs.. but we travelled 220 kms and it took us 6 hrs.. by the time we reached all my friends my kid and me we re dead tired and absolutely frustrated thinking of cancelling the holiday...
2) As soon as we reached we were received by a dull looking reception and the people looking even duller...
3) There are no house phones.. in case of emergency you have to go all the way to the reception and tell them your grievances...
4) The resort is badly maintained,its absolutely broken everywhere and you can get hurt if you are not careful cos of unattended broken stones and wires hanging overhead...
5) The swimming pool is dirty dont try to venture into it otherwise you will come out with skin rashes..
6) Another problem are the dogs.. too many dogs inside the resort.. one night all the dogs sat outside our room and wont let us sleep.. all the dogs are ferocious.. and the people working there dont care bout it and let it roam free there..
7) The only SAVING grace is the food.. it was good and unlimited food for us...
8) To Sum it up the management needs to look into this very quickly otherwise its going to be forced to shut shop.. and it has to be done in the immediate future...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank yuthdhur
greenplanetresorts, Manager at Silent Valley Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
First of all we would like to clrify that, we just gave the guest contact number of travel arrangers and the guest themself made all the arrangements and we were no where in picture. Hence they cannot blame us for the extra miles they had to cross. We normally mention the route direction from both Bangalore and Mangalore in all the confirmation voucher we mail to our guests. But if they didn't read it out properly, its not our mistake.

This is not a hotel having all the rooms within a building. All over cottages are spead over acres of property and hence we do not encourage room service. Of course, management is now taking steps to put intercoms. As we have 6 acres property had 3 dogs and it never disturbs the guests. But as some of the guest pampers them and offer food they sometimes follows them. However, we have already taken steps to solve this problem permanently.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chennai, India
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We as a team of 30 members visited the silent valley resort.We didn`t have pleasent day in the resort.Every day there is a problem from the resort management.The management motivation is to get money by arranging sight seeing.We as a team stayed in 10 rooms.Every room has each unique problem.Ex:hot water not coming,lock not working,like that so on...On the whole the total team is not satisfied with the resort.We could say it is not the place for silent.it is the place voilent.

Room Tip: We could suggest not to select this resort.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Team30
, Manager at Silent Valley Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
If the guest whom we treat as 'God' behave indecently with our female staff, don't expect us to be silent. Its really a shame on you to give this kind of feed back hiding all the facts. After the visit of your team we came to know the real meaning of the word "TERRIBLE".

Travellers are raving about these Chikkamagalur hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I am absolutely confused about where to start my review – sticky door mats? unclean toilets? non-working aircon? filthy swimming pool? no connectivity? smelly cupboard? discourteous staff? soiled blanket? damp pillows? dirty cutlery? bugs infested refrigerator? or about those stray dogs waiting to pounce on your food at lunch? I would strongly suggest that they rename this resort to something like “Death by Dirt“.

In my several years of holidaying/traveling, I have never come across such a disgustingly sub-standard property managed by people having no trace of humane elements.

I booked a cottage at silent valley resorts through a travel agency. I really wish I had done my bit of research than going with what the agent had to say. I later realized that there was enough warnings posted against this property by many travelers/trusted reviewers in tripadvisor.in and the likes.

I can’t think of any good thing about this resort except is its proximity to Kudremukh and the scenic drive. I would suggest you rather stay in any local “Manjunatha Lodge” at Kalasa … drive up your way to Kudremukh/Horenadu. Save your money, that otherwise these cheaters would hog, and give it off to charity. Trust me, you feel dignified.

Welcome to HORROR VALLEY!: Here is the resort entrance…. You may find stray dogs.. no problem.. carry on.. you will soon realize that they are much better than the people who manage this resort. You park your vehicle, walk up to a place what they call as ‘lobby’ that connects to dining and kitchen. Don’t be surprised if you don’t find anyone. You keep tapping the desk for sometime, you may see somebody popping out out of kitchen or elsewhere with a cold stare which more or less translates to “who the hell are you to disturb my sleep“.

I would like to give you a snapshot on what to expect if you still want to go ahead and do the booking. However, if you like to read about the experiences first, skip this section. I would NOT recommend this resort to any level headed person on earth because an hour of stay here could take you off the balance.

My Experience at Silent Valley Resorts

In my several years of holidaying / traveling, I have never come across such a disgustingly mediocre property managed by people having no trace of humane elements. I wouldn’t have turned this furious if we were not treated like thrash for questioning about things that were promised and later denied.

First of all, you are totally unplugged inside this property. No mobile network, no intercom, no other communication mode is setup. If you need any assistance, you will have to walk half a kilometer up to that dingy room (the so called reception). When I requested assistance, I was told that a person will be sent.. then I waited in my cottage for half-an-hour, no one turned up. I then had to go all the way up again, raise my voice for a response. Finally one guy, with lot of hesitation, dragged himself to my cottage after an hour. Having failed to fix the aircon, he was murmuring to himself , “crap“, “nonsense” and what not.. He then told me “Saar, a/c is not required saaar.. it may rain saar… cold saar.. this one will not work“.

I took this and other cleanliness issues with the resort manager (Mr. Williams), who downplayed it by arguing that it is not his mistake. He gave me two options – either stay or leave without any refunds. When he realized that I am not gonna give up he started changing colors and tone. I continued my arguments and when the people started gathering, he climbed down a bit and told me that he can cut down the price. I then told him to refund full amount except for the lunch we ate, he refused and added the company policy doesn’t allow him to do that. I was wondering what the [--] policy was he talking about. He gave me a strange number when asked about price for non-a/c cottage.. knowing that he tripped, I asked him to repeat the number, he said 5000… I then asked him to show the tariff card, he tells me they don’t have any. When I asked for a voucher (as documentary evidence) indicating the refund amount which I can claim from the travel agent, he refused that as well. He then argued that he cannot give receipt because the actual price was 5100 where as I paid 5600 to the agent (quoted price was 6000 with 400 discount). I even spoke to Mr. John D’Souza, who claims to be the owner, but no avail. It was very obvious that they don’t expect repeat business.. but they make the most out of the first timers (bakras). My strong recommendation will be to stay away from this place.

One good thing Mr. Williams did was that he showed me the booking accounts in which the amount credited against the cottage I stayed was 5100/- while I was charged 5600/-. At the end of the day the travel agent and resort management had their cake…… and I ended my trip with a feeling of being cheated and dejected. I just cannot pretend everything was alright.

Note: They refunded 1000/-INR for the non working aircon through the agent. However that doesn’t make up for the trauma that I had to go through during my stay there. To me, that cottage is worth less than 500/- INR.

WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU BOOK A COTTAGE HERE

1. YOU ASK FOR SOMETHING YOU GET SOMETHING ELSE: You book an a/c cottage, it is highly likely that you get a non-a/c or something else.
2. SHABBY RECEPTION WITH NO ONE AROUNd: You will know there is a reception because there is a signage.. else you would mistake it for a warehouse.
3. LOT OF STRAY DOGS ROAMING AROUND INSIDE THE PROPERTY – beware if you are letting your kids free (Don’t be surprised if you find a dog or two near your table during lunch / dinner waiting for a lick of the food you eat.)
4. UNHYGIENIC: The toilet stink can burn your olfactory nerves.
5. OUT OF COVERAGE:No intercom facility and no mobile network – that means you will have to walk half a kilometer to hunt for someone if you require anything.
6. AVERAGE FOOD: Nothing much to crow about. You can eat that for your survival. I was told the dinner time is 0830 PM – but when it was served at 0945 PM. You feel like waiting for your food in central jail. The attitude of the staff is deplorable.
7. MANAGEMENT: The manager shows his funny face at any complaint/request you make – do not expect any actions/solutions. To borrow his own words – “Everything is done from Mangalore saaar… I cannot help.. that’s it”- he is there just to execute the orders of his boss who sits in Mangalore
8. DO NOT SWIM: Better keep off that swimming pool unless you want to get skin rashes. I guess it is heavily chlorinated like other guests were mentioning. You can meet frogs and tadpoles here.
9. UNDERSTAFFED: One or two resources to attend a pack of 50 plus people.
10. FREQUENT POWER CUTS: This is something that the resort management has no control over. Ideally they should set up an alternate power source since they are charging an earth for that dingy place.
11. NO HOT WATER: At least I didn’t get when I required. Complain about it only to hear a thousand stupid reasons for not having it.
12. BADLY LIT: Should be extremely careful venturing out in the night without a flash light (when you walk up that half kilometer to dining area.)
13. POOR DESIGN: Badly designed cottages. Vents are not secured or covered – no exhaust fan. Its very easy if som

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Krishna80
bangalore
Reviewed 31 March 2012

this place s really nyc... v were 11 n v all njyd... :)
suaper worth fa d money v paid,.. awesome food.. soomny varieties...
rooms r good... neatness s tooo gud...
place s too gud... playgrnd s also nyc....
facilities were also gud...
it's really worth fa wat yu pay so gooo fa it.... n cheap too... :)
i wud lyk 2 visit dis resort again.. :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Some of the reviews for this place were horrifying, but I decided to take a chance on this. Turned out to be a quiet place with very cosy service. The staff were helpful and friendly. There are ample facilities if you don't want to go out for sightseeing and spend a day in here as they have a decent swimming pool, volleyball court, bonfire arrangements and an open dining area with a shed right in front of the pool. The cottages also look quite asthetically built from outside, can't say the same when it comes to inside though. The view from the resort is also natural and green but surely don't expect Tea or coffee gardens around...

We stayed in a cottage and I would consider them to be slightly overpriced if you are going in less numbers. They told us that the villas were new and fitted with A/C so I imagine that they should be better. All the meals of the day were complimentary and although the spread wasn't much, the quality was good. As mentioned by other reviewers, there is no mobile signal available at any part of this resort. They said Idea and BSNL works but nothing else did for sure. The place is around 4 Kms from Kalasa where you have a decent market place. So I would say a place to unwind where you can unknowingly avoid your boss and all others.

Chikmaglur however, turned out to be a pleasant surprise as the short journeys were much better than the several destination spots. The tea and coffee plantations were breath taking and thanks to the Silent valley manager who suggested us the spots. The weather at this time added to the beauty and I suggest everyone to atleast travel from Hassan to here or vice versa by a car as the drive is quite good.

Room Tip: Take a Villa and not a cottage if you are too particular on cleanliness. Always ask for the new room...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple