“Craving chinese? I bet you find me a better place.”
Review of Mainland China

Mainland China
Ranked #127 of 11,585 Restaurants in Bengaluru
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: MG Road
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Owing to the fact that they have a rating of 4+, I was expecting the food to be much better.
I used to live in Kolkata and I can tell that this was almost as good as the outlet there be it a Haka or a Mainland China.
I chose to go for the Weekday non veg buffet for Rs 415 AI where I was served a chicken coriander soup followed by chicken dumplings, seafood sui mai(fish and prawn), chicken lollipops, fish in hunan sauce, lemon chilly potatoes, oriental stir fried veg and veg wantons.

Chicken dumplings - 5/5 because I am a huge fan of these anyway and they met my expectations.

Seafood dumplings - 3/5, there was something terribly wrong with the seasoning!

Chicken lollipops - 3/5 Would've been better if they were more crispy than soggy on the crust.

Fish in hunan sauce - 4/5, seasoning could certainly be worked upon!

Lemon chilli potatoes - 2/5, I could barely taste the tanginess of the lemon juice! It only tasted of chillies.

Oriental stir fried veg - 4/5, perfectly seasoned! Only got a little soggy.

Veg wantons - 1/5, oily, terribly underseasoned and surprisingly raw insides.

Coming to buffets, you either expect the main course to be great or the starters!
Quite obviously, I wasn't expecting the main course to be GOOD and not to my surprise, it turned out to be so!
I was very excited to see lamb meatballs in schezuan sauce - Disappointing, texture and taste both!
The fish in oyester and brocolli sauce was my favourite!
Shrimp was decent, but not good.
Noodles, was uniformly cooked and well seasoned.

Thankfully, the waiters are extremely hospitable and somewhat catered to the needs of my taste buds. The manager that day, Mr Ratnesh replaced the portion of lamb meatballs for me with a brilliant lamb preparation in black bean sauce that was amazing.

Coming to desserts, the strawberry pastries were one of the best I'd had in a long time. Same for the caramel custard and the chocolate wantons. Only the kiwi mousse was a little below expectations.

I never leave ice creams in a buffet, no matter how fill I am. Hence I undoubtedly tried the softies out of sheer excitement.
However, they were not of the right temperature. By the time I got it to my table from the softie machine, it had melted to where it started from and along with it took my all my excitement down.
However, I'll undoubtedly come back here and the next time will hopefully be better!

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

The restaurant ambitions is good .. food is average only service also average. They are not much attentive ...

Reviewed 6 August 2018

If you have not been in Church Street in past few months, the street itself will offer you a surprise. I was upset with the roadwork that was going on for ages. No I would say it is worth waiting for. The moment you enter the road, you feel good about being there.
Parking was no hassle. The restaurant offers valet parking
We were hosting our friend whom I met after 28 good years. We were a bit hesitant about what we order. We were recommended to go for buffet. It was great.
Good food, good drinks, great ambiance. We could not ask for anything more.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

I visited with my daughter on a wed afternokn for lunch. The staff kept insisting on going for buffet though we wanted ala carte. We ordeeed a large bowl of Japanese noodles. Though we ordered large, the quantity was noodles was very very less. Between two of us we got few spoonfuls. I wonder what will be the qty for regular bowl? Absolutely no value for money..will never visit this place again

1  Thank abtb2004
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Located in Church Street, Mainland China is a great place for lunch. For one, there is Valet parking. We opted for the buffet. The starters were superb. Veg, Non Veg, et all. I had filled up my stomach with very little space for the main course. And rightfully so. The main course was a bit of a let down as the options were limited. Maybe designed to be so. The desert was standard stuff but good. Value for money alright.