“Candle Light Dinner On Valentine's day !”

The President Hotel
Ranked #125 of 657 Hotels in Bengaluru
Bangalore
“Candle Light Dinner On Valentine's day !”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Gufha (President Hotel),

We went there for a dinner on Valentine's day 2009. The entire place is done up like a dark cavern, with waterfalls, quaint stautes, creepers and snakes adorning the walls.

Food is expensive Starters cost around Rs.225 for veg and Rs.300 for non-veg. The domestic drinks start at Rs.150 for 30 ml. Vegetarians may not find varieties.

An outstanding place and outstanding food can be expected at this restaurant in addition to the outstanding service. The staff was polite, attentive. The presentation of the food is also very good.

We must think that we are paying for sitting in that place than paying for the food. Over all, it was a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gufha
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Missouri
Reviewed 26 April 2008

In terms of location ( for my needs), cleanliness, and price, this is a very good hotel.

Price is Rs. 3500 / USD95 to Rs. 6000/ USD175 per night, which includes a good buffet style breakfast in the Isys restaurant on the hotel's first floor. For Bangalore, these are outstanding prices.

Location: It's 15 minutes away from the big software offices (Accenture, Oracle, etc.) and the Forum Mall on Bannerghatta Rd near Hosur Rd in Jayanagar. Additionally, there is a market with many shops just around the corner from the hotel. Everything you could want or need (except good coffee) is available there. I think it's 4th Main St.

The hotel sits right on a mid-sized road, so there is traffic noise here. If you are looking for a quiet, secluded hotel, this is not the place.

The hotel is small, with only 5 floors and 10 or 12 rooms per floor. Interior is very tasteful and modern, and most importantly, it is absolutely immaculately maintained. (The lobby is just a little shabby, but don't let that put you off - it gets a lot of traffic with the Guhfa restaurant upstairs.)

My room had a sitting room with a loveseat and armchair, a coffee table, TV, and small refrigerator with cold drinks to buy. And tea service. Bedroom had a king-size bed, built in wood dresser and wardrobe, desk, and two more armchairs by the window. Also a balcony looking out on Diagonal Rd. Bathroom was very modern with a glass-walled shower, granite counters, very nice fixtures, and no issues in terms of maintenance or cleanliness. No problems with water supply or water temperature, either. The bathroom was immaculate and attractive.

Hotel staff was attentive, courteous and responsive to every request. (e.g. My balcony had an overhead light which made me feel like I was on a lighted stage after dark. I called the front desk to ask how to turn it off, and in five minutes two employees showed up with a ladder and removed the bulb.)

Hotel also arranged transportation to/from the airport, and daily drivers to get me back and forth to work. The prices I paid for these drivers were usually about 1/2 of what I paid when I arranged for the taxi myself, or through the Transportation Desk at my office. (Rs. 350 one-way vs. Rs. 700-1100 when I got them myself.)

Room service is offered 24 x 7, although after 11pm there is a limited menu. The bar shuts down at that time also, so there are no drinks other than the basics available after 11. The food by room service was very good quality: extensive Thai, Indian, and Chinese offerings were avaiilable. I had Indian, and would say it was solid mid- to slightly higher-quality fare. Prices for entrees ranged from Rs. 175 (vegetarian) to Rs. 415 (fish/prawns).

There is a restaurant called Gufha ("The Cave") occupying the entire 5th floor. Ambience there was very cool (it's a simulated cave complete with fake snakes coming down the walls), service was extremely good if maybe just a bit overdone, and the food was about an 8/10 compared to the top restaurants in Bangalore (in my experience). So in other words, very good.

Complaints:

- night operators had trouble putting through my international calls - they seemed to struggle with how to dial them correctly. (But then, so do I sometimes.)

- the code to access outside lines kept not working, so I kept having to ask the operator to dial for me. (see above.)

- I'm not sure what they use to clean with, but it smells like mothballs. The room was saturated with it, and I didn't like it. I did not like the odors in the room in general, even though it was so clean. (I did not have this experience at the other hotel I stayed at on this trip --- the ITC Maurya Sheraton in Delhi.)

- no swimming pool or exercise facilities, although hotel can get you access to a health club just a few doors away.

- It took me a few nights to get used to the traffic noise. There was just a simple wooden door to my balcony, and I was on the second floor; the traffic was just 40 feet away. Constant traffic and honking of horns is something you live with in Bangalore, but it's my review so I'm putting this down as a complaint. I would prefer a nice big lawn, a courtyard, and a wall around the hotel, but then I don't want to spend 400USD per night.

• Liked — The price, the cleanliness, the service, free wifi
  • Disliked — The odor in the room, the traffic noise, no swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank 2Mill_Miles