“Terrible Staff and no maintaince”

Tipu Sultan Fort and Palace - Bangalore KR Market
Ranked #33 of 321 things to do in Bengaluru
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: One of Bangalore’s busiest markets, the KR market, hides this surprise: an elegant palace built by Tipu Sultan, with teak pillars and frescoes. Though incomparable to the more famous Tipu Sultan’s palace at Mysore, this is one of the relatively unknown monuments of Bangalore. Visit this palace along with the ruins of the fort nearby. Also nearby are a temple and a mosque.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Terrible Staff and no maintaince”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I visited Tipu Sultan Fort and Palace on my way back from Coorg to Bangalore. The management is absolutely stupid and pathetic. While purchasing the entry tickets I showed my PAN card as an identification, the man behind the counter threw it back to me saying is not a valid INDIAN id and even foreign nationals had PAN cards and I need to show my voter's id only. Me, my husband & my friends blasted him on this pathetic behavior, I mean we nowhere looked like foreigners and if my PAN card does not show I am Indian national then what else will prove. It seemed that he wanted us to pay more. Nevertheless we went inside after purchasing on Indian national rates The building and artifacts were not at all maintained and nobody seemed to bother about. The painting were falling off, some of them did not even have the glass to cover the paintings.

There were bunch of school children also visiting at the same time and were creating ruckus. Even the foreign nationals who were visiting the place left because of all the noise. The teaches accompanying the children were least bothered and were enjoying their own moments. Some of the children were also littering and playing loud music. We also left in few minutes. Instead of feeling the history all I could feel was complete disappointment. If something is not done soon, our history and the proof of it will be really lost forever.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Prachi_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Interesting but not as good as the one in Srirangapatna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was one of Tipu Sultan's Palace, albeit nothing compared to the one in Srirangapatna closer to Mysore. Unlike that palace here you are, however, allowed to take pictures. You can explore both floors of the palace, the lower of which contains an exhibit on Tipu Sultan's life and hatred of the British.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank edgreen807
London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“An interesting way to spend an hour or so.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Tipu was a very interesting character and it was interesting to see his summer palace in Bangalore and to imagine it as it must have been in Tipu's time.

There is an interesting exhibition in one of the ground floor rooms giving an amusing perspective on Tipu's battles with his British enemies, and the gardens are quite attractive.

Tip: Don't pick up a rickshaw outside the palace when you leave as the drivers only want to take you to a bazaar or market where they get commission. 2 drivers were very rude to me when I insisted that I didn't want to be taken to their bazaar and refused to take me to my chosen destination. Walk around the corner and pick up a rickshaw there.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank Anthony F
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What do I see?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

There is nothing to see.. I mean really it just walls and few small rooms with hardly any Royal carving or anything!!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Chhaya A
Bengaluru, India
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great work of art”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I was surprised to realise that modern hitech machines were of no match on this monuments perfection in art! Not worth missing

Visited March 2012