“beauty of kashmir leh and ladakh”
Review of Leh

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
delhi
“beauty of kashmir leh and ladakh”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

i have traveled to leh and laddak via manali and i have experienced the extra ordinary view of Himalayan range i have visited all over India and more then six times in Kashmir via jammu but the hills views of Kashmir snow every where beauty of kashmir is on that road me and my friend start our tour from delhi to kashmir via manali national highway 1d after manali we all experienced amazing beauty of nature in place called "bara lancha" which named after 12 mountains fully surrounded by snow for whole year where ice never melt and ice level is more then 30 feet there is a lake which is totally freezed and where ever u look only snow is found there and after that the beauty of Laddak vally and beauty if leh city where worlds highest airport and highest highway just amazing the roads are much better then out country capital road and the kargil city amazing i have only heard about India and Pakistan fight on that place and saw the mountains only in television but the kargil city is as beautiful as the heaven river flowing in the center of the city and houses and shops are all over the river side beautiful site seeing and nice music of water and soothing wind just amazing and tiger hill is beautiful i am proud of our army for re capturing that area from the hand of evil pakistani army hats of to our every soldier who fought and lay down there lives for our country, we saw a memorial of soldier harka bahadur , and after that the beauty of sonmarg galaciar and beauty of dull lake at shrinagar we will definitely go again to see the beauty of our countries kashmir.

Vancouver, Canada
52 helpful votes
“Witness TIBETAN BUDDHISM at a CULTURAL CROSS ROADS”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I visited in October 2007 just towards the end of the tourist season when the roads are still passable. Road travel over the high mountains is closed from October to May. We took a 9 person shared 4x2 diesel jeep from Srinagar (20 hours, 2550Rupees=$60USD) via Kargil through the Kashmir mountains near the Pakistan border. This is a disputed area and there was a heavy Indian military presence with several army road checks and foreigners need to register their presence. I would recommend splitting the trip into two legs and staying overnight in Kargil (hotel rooms for $250Rs/$6USD) though so you don't miss the magnificent Himalayan mountain scenery from Kargil to Leh. I swear the Indian Jeep driver was suicidal: He drove a narrow winding dirt road very fast at night (after sunset) **without headlights** and we almost had a head-on collision with a big truck coming the other way! An all to frequent road accident delayed us several hours so we arrived late to find the power was out all over Leh when we arrived around 1 AM in the cold dark night. The Jeep driver helped us find the Tso-Moriri Hotel was located (800Rupees) and luckily somebody answered the door when we knocked on the door at 1AM. We tipped the Jeep driver 100 Rupees and I think he slept in his Jeep that night. I will mention the Tso-Moriri Hotel is not the cheapest hotel in Leh but it is one of the better ones and they provided nice heavy blanks and large pop bottles with hot water to help warm the bed...the hotel rooms are not heated! I had heard there was cheaper accomodation in town (around 200Rupees) but it was pretty ratty. Next day we hired a Jeep with some European tourists (1200 Rupees/$30USD total and drove the four of us around on an amazing Tibetan monastery tour south of Leh. The most remarkable was the Hemis Gonpa monastery where the Yellow Hat Sect Buddhist monks did not mind tourists freely wandering in their midst while they chanted and played their ceremonial horns. Also the Thiksey Monastery with it's 3 storey high Buddha inside. The food was "local" and I ate a lot of road side kebabs as well as Indian dishes. We took another arduous shard Jeep ride (462km / 22 hours / 2500 INR=$55USD) to get out of Leh to Manali which travelled the amazing "Highest Motorable Road in the World" with 5 mountain passes the highest being 18,400 feet.

1 Thank AnthonyMaw
bhawanipatna
1 helpful vote
“MY BEST EXPERIENCE PLACE IN INDIA, IT'S HEAVEN IN THE EARTH”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

If you are a fun of hight, then must visit leh-ladakh, specially pengong lake,, one of the excellent lake in world having 7 colours of water with a crystal clear. & khardung-la the higheat motorable road of the world. amazing no word to explain.

1 Thank sudhirjain
Mumbai, India
7 helpful votes
“The Chosen Place”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The scenic beauty is beyond words…it seems like the almighty chose this place to have it all … rocky crags, snow clad mountains, rivers, hot springs, desert, sand dunes, glaciers, camels, yak, wild ass, marmots, flora and fauna…

….ancient monasteries perched precariously on rocky cliffs, hidden amongst towering mountains, with every square inch of wall and ceiling painted exquisitely with miniatures

… a land of peace loving people and living “buddhas” – reincarnated Lamas (we had the opportunity to see one such tiny – baby Lamaji – 4 years old .. peacefully asleep at one monastery)

… a place with everchanging landscape and mysterious locations – ‘Moonscape’ at one place and a Magnetic hill at another ( here the car climbs the upslope without engine turned on…!)

… crystal clear, icy cold waters of Pangong Tso – a 140 kms long lake nestled between the peaks at 16,000 ft above sea level; the lake is part in Tibet (sweet water) and part in India (brackish water)… a blue like you have never seen before!

Simply awesome… and our Armed forces do a stunning job of maintaining peace on Indian soil in such hard terrain and the BRO has built and maintains roads better than the capital’s highways… and the magnificent landscape overwhelms you to tears…

You will want to come back for more … again and again…

2 Thank Kirti66
New York City
12 helpful votes
“Leh, Ladakh - the ultimate experience without breaking the bank!”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I have traveled extensively in India over the last 15 years, and have always wanted to visit Ladakh (located in Jammu & Kashmir state). Finally, this past April, I had the opportunity to make the trip and it was everything I expected and more!

I got the name of a local contact in Leh through a friend of mine who is the director of the SIT Tibetan Studies university semester program in India, and this made a huge difference in my experience. Ladakh is a vast area bordering Tibet and Pakistan and it can be overwhelming trying to narrow down the options for your visit. Rinchen Namgial, who has a company called Yama Adventures, was extremely helpful in answering all my questions via email and putting together an itinerary for my 10 day visit. I highly recommend that you get in touch with him. It was really important to me to be immersed quickly in Ladakhi culture, because this is an area of interest for me, and Namgial arranged several homestays and a guide who had good knowledge of Buddhism and Ladakhi history. He also arranged a trek and multiple excursions via Land Cruiser to outlying areas to see historic temples, monasteries and even a high altitude salt water lake on the Tibetan border called Pangong-Tso.

If you are reading this review, then you probably already know something about Ladakh, or have at least seen photos. It's one of the most breathtaking places on earth. But there are a couple noteworthy things that i hadn't known about before, but learned on this trip. Ladakh is one of the cleanest places in India! No offense to Indians from other areas, but Ladakh takes the gold medal for cleanliness! Because Ladakh is so remote, there is a sense of not wasting anything or discarding anything haphazardly. Ladakhis are naturally conservation-minded people. Everything gets re-used, and therefore there is very little garbage and litter on the streets. By the same token, Ladakhis are very ecologically aware. Water is a precious commodity in the high altitude desert, and rivers and water sources are well cared for. In other parts of India, rivers and streams become a dumping ground for waste, but in Ladakh it is quite the opposite. I was very impressed that Leh has a water bottle filling station geared toward tourists that allows you to fill your bottle with boiled UV treated water for only 7 Rps. This is half the price of a bottle of mineral water, and it doesn't lead to another empty plastic bottle being discarded on the streets. Furthermore, in some of the villages we saw public trash sorting bins (separated plastics, paper, metal, glass, compost, trash) that were set up by local high school students and were being used by everyone in the village. I've never seen this anywhere else in India. In fact, it's surprising how hard it can be to find a trash can in India.

There is a public bus system in Ladakh, so if you are on a tight budget you can get around that way. If you have two or more people traveling together, it probably makes more sense to hire a car and driver. The important site-seeing locations are very spread out and a 2 hour car ride might be more like 6 hours on the bus. Three places I recommend visiting outside of the greater Leh area are Lamayuru Gompa, Alchi and Lake Pangong-Tso. Lamayuru has some very unique geological features surrounding it and it also has an amazing 11th Century Naropa meditation cave. Alchi has some of the best Buddhist wall paintings I've ever seen and some of them are remarkably well preserved. Finally, Pangong-Tso is very difficult to get to -- 12 hours in the car roundtrip -- but you get to drive over a 17,586 ft. (5,360 m.) pass, which is one of the highest motorable roads in the world, and the pay-off when you get to the Lake is worth it. It's an incredible journey to the Chang Tang region and the turquoise blue color of the lake changes hues minute by minute. You can see into Tibet on the other side of the Lake.

In Leh, we stayed at a place called Kidar Guest House. The rooms had attached baths and were incredibly clean, large and filled with natural light. The family that owns the house can prepare all your meals and they have a beautiful Ladakhi family style living room (with satellite TV). I would absolutely recommend that you stay there.

One final note: I usually travel on a tight budget and many times I choose not to hire a local guide. In Ladakh I found it to be incredibly useful to have one. It's not very expensive and really can enrich the experience. Tourism is the heart of Ladakh's economy, so it's also a great way to give something back to a people who are so generous themselves.

You do decide to visit Ladakh, do yourself a favor and get in touch with this gentleman:
Rinchen Namgial
namgial@gmail.com
www.yamatreks.com
tel: 01982-250833, 250836
cell: 09419178763, 09906987782

12 Thank freedomfigher

Been to Leh? Share your experiences!