I spent 2 hours in Shikara & I still feel I could have got some more of it. One needs to negotiate for shikara ride. I got it for 800 for 2 hours. Don't book based on points. If you book hour wise they will anyway cover all possible points.
Try to take shikaras from ghat 14 to 23.
Some famous points are:
1. Char chinar - 4 chinar trees in the mid of Dal lake.
2. Kabootarkhana - bungalow of a maharaja, who once ruled this place.
3. Water lilies - adjacent to the Kabootarkhana. They only bloom before sunrise & then droop.
4. Floating market - lots of vendors come in boats during the shikara ride, also there is an area where different vendors (food stalls, salwar shops, pharmacy, etc) are tied to lake side.
5. Nehru park - near to ghat 14. It is a well maintained park created on a small island inside the lake. More