“Rude, Money-Hungry Owner, Dirty Rooms, Overpriced. Stay Away!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swan Group of Houseboats

Swan Group of Houseboats
Ranked #16 of 558 Speciality Lodging in Srinagar
Monroe, Connecticut
“Rude, Money-Hungry Owner, Dirty Rooms, Overpriced. Stay Away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My first time in Srinagar, I was really looking forward to having a relaxing experience at the Swan Group of Houseboats. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed my time in the city and exploring around beautiful Dal lake, my stay at Swan was the worst part.

Let me say first of all that the location is fine, not far from Ghat 10, and the Shikara man, Bablu, is a fantastic person. Unfortunately, he was the only one. He is the only good thing about Swan.

As soon as I arrived, very exhausted after my journey, I was taken into the reception for registration. There I was completely hassled by the rude, pompous owner and I had to ask him repeatedly to stop hassling me. Rudely, he kept pushing his package tours of the city, his overpriced meal plan, etc. I was very annoyed by his attitude and therefore right from the start my impression was a very bad one. He wouldn't even tell me the price of one meal until after I pressed him and told him I would not take the meal package. In fact he charges 400 rupees for lunch/dinner, and 200 rupees for breakfast. While it is fresh cooked food, this is really food you would find at a simple street-side dhabba, nothing special, there is no menu or choice, and really this type of food should not cost more than 100 rupees.

Because of this, I had to sneak on sandwiches and fruit from off the boat. I put some stuff in the fridge, but after one night my carry bag I had put the food in was missing. Again, not good.

Next was the room. While the common area of the boat are very nice, and everything is ornate, my room and boat could use a good scrubbing and dusting:
There was garbage under the bed from previous guests, unidentifiable goo on my night-stand that my mobile phone got stuck in, brown and pink stains on the bathroom walls, the tub/shower has taped-over leaks, there is a long line of black-mold around the tub (a serious health hazard), spider webs in the corners etc.

Another serious problem I had was that while the room had curtains over the outside windows, the top of the room along the hallway side does not. Every night, even after telling the staff to try and watch out for me, I was woken up as the bright hallway lights shone directly into my room, makiing it far too bright to sleep. My final night I even had to get up 5 times over three awful hours of trying to get to sleep to turn off these lights. Very, very annoying!

Besides all of this, some of the other staff were rude about sending the Shikara to pick me up. Even after pre-arranging with the boat-man to come back late (he said it was no problem), I was told when I called that it was too late and they could not come to get me (it was 11pm).Another night he hung up on me before I was finished talking with him. I yelled at the guy afterwards and the next day he apologized, but this was still unacceptable.

This behaviour, combined with the rude owner who treats his staff badly and acts like a maharajah, was awful.

All of these things are combined to make me have to unfortunately write this negative review, my first. Visit Srinagar, but stay away from Swan!!

Room Tip: View more than one room before choosing one as they vary in quality significantly. Check out the cle...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pjsalt
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

i came back from srinagar having stayed at the swan houseboat for 6 nights. i was given the junior wing of the houseboat called the gate of heaven. the food is expensive there but not bad. the experience was nice. shikara ride was pleasant. i found two people very helpful and kindly, namely, the director Mr. Abu and the waiter Mr. Ghulam Hassan. they managed the sight seeing tour very well. the waiters and the driver did not ask for any tips as is generally assumed to be. on the whole it was a nice experience.

Room Tip: stay for a night or a two at the houseboat for the maximum. it is not worth staying on the houseboat...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank rahulgautam
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Houseboat is well lit. Neat and clean. Rooms are spacious. Has a nice ambiance. Toiletries can be better. Dinner is of fixed menu without any option. Breakfast is not upto the mark. Staff are smiling. But never hire shikara ride from them. Took Rs. 1200 for a 2 hour ride which as per scheduled rate Rs. 300 per hour.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank bharatjp
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I am staying in Swan Boathouses for three nights, I have been treated very nicely and they have provided me with everything I need, including the internet access!
The food is really good, homemade and fresh. The rooms are clean and the shower and bathroom work well.
The boat is located in a very optimal place, not too far from shore, but far enough to be away from the traffic noise.
The owner is a very nice and friendly person and arranges everything very efficiently. I truly recommend this experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Raha A
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

last year we stayed on Nageen lake and found it to far from the city
and to much traffic and noise.
we decided to take Swan Houseboats and immediately we were welcomed
as familie members .
GULAM served us the best food and was always at our disposal .
This made us feel in heaven

we had the best service of all our holidays ,
THe staff was always ther to serve us any time we wanted.
Rooms were cleaned every day and the tv room and dinner was very comfortable.
We promised ourselves to come back next year to stay longer and make trekking with them while we become friends for live.
SHUKRIYA ,THANK YOU