Hotel Katra's offering is well suited to the needs of a Vaishno Devi pilgrim. I would also recommend it for families (basically if women / children are travelling). My wife and I stayed here in August 2012.
1. Rooms are basic, but nice. Most of a pilgrim's time will be spent trekking / on a horse to the Vaishno Devi shrine. Your hotel is Katra will largely be used to rest and have a hot water bath. Hotel Varun is good for both
2. Services offered are tuned to requirements of pilgrims. They had a massage which was at a good price point (around INR 200)
3. Complimentary pick-up-and-drop service to and from Banganga (the starting point of the Vaishno Devi trek)
4. 24 hrs hot water, plus the hotel has a generator in case the power fails
5. Value for money pricing
6. A cheerful manager enhanced our experience
7. The hotel makes small adjustments. We had a room booked for two days starting the day we completed the Vaishno Devi trek. We did not have any booking for the day we arrived (we needed a room only for an hour to take a bath and change). The manager offered us a room for 1 hour without charge. The hotel also held our luggage as we departed on a trek, to come back and stay with them for the next 2 days
8. They have a lift (which will be thanked by legs worn out from the Vaishno Devi trek)
1. There were lots of baby cockroaches in the room, and especially the bathroom. They were really tiny, so we got by
2. The food was average, at best
All in all, I would recommend this hotel, and will stay there if I ever visit Katra again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MakeMyTrip, TravelGuru, Agoda, ClearTrip and Yatra so you can book your Hotel Varun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Varun Katra, Jammu