“Food and building a delight, shame about the staff”
Review of Agashiye

Agashiye
Ranked #10 of 3,751 Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Agashiye' in Gujarati means on the terrace. This beautiful restaurant is spread over two huge terraces are inter-connected by a smaller one that houses a small wooden cottage. At Agashiye, the food is freshly prepared, a lot of it in the terrace kitchen where you can see it. Our attempt is to retain the distinct flavours of the ingredients and we use both spices and oil sparingly. The menu at Agashiye changes daily and varies seasonally too, so an item that you particularly liked during a previous visit may not be there on the menu. Though we hope you'd find another favourite!The staff at Agashiye comprises mostly of men from neighboring villages. During dinner, they will guide you to the waiting area where you will be served juice and starters. You will be informed when your table is ready. During lunch, you are seated at your table right away.The food is served in a kansa thali immediately on being seated at the table. The meal starts with a choice of Indian breads and ends with rice. Servings are unlimited. The staff has been instructed not to constantly hover around you and yet be attentive. In case you have a specific requirement, a supervisor will be there to assist you.Please don't be surprised if you are served a non-Gujarati dish or hear non-Indian music at Agashiye. It is neither an ethnic nor a theme restaurant. It is meant to be a dining experience in a contemporary Gujarati home.Agashiye can be booked for parties of up to 400 people with a buffet setting.
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Positives first- although this was far and away the most expensive thali we had in India, I still thought it was worth it. The food was excellent quality and there were a few things that marked it out as special.

The building is amazing and it is right in the heart of the city.

Unfortunately the staff let the place down. The waiters were OK but not particularly friendly. The man at the front desk downstairs (you pay before you come up) was a disgrace. Barely looking up at us, unable to give us a straight answer, rude- really let the place down. I wasn't far from walking away but was pleased I persevered.

1  Thank AlexSwallow
Bhrahma, General Manager at Agashiye, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear AlexSwallow,

Thank you for taking your time to review us. We do appreciate your comments.

On behalf of my staff I am very sorry that we across to you as rude and unfriendly. We will share the comments with the staff and keep training them.

Once again I am glad you enjoyed the food & ambience and very sorry that the service was a letdown. We do hope we get a chance to serve you again.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Service is awful, Staff snobby and over prized. Upon complaining they just vanished. We were force to buy expensive version of menu and didn't even serve everything. In the name of chocolate platter we got 2 cube of sub standard chocolate wrapped in gift wrap. Waste of money. The visit just embarassed me in front of visiting family member for a poor choice for dining.

Dear Prerna G,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. Ma'am no one can force you to buy the expensive version of the Thali, anyone who has come here can vouch for that, the billing is done before you eat, and the choice is always with the guest, we have put the comparative of what goes in our Heritage Grand in Silver Thali.

We have prepared version of velvety chocolate pudding that comes with the ice cream in the end. The chocolate pieces come as a part of the mukhwas platter with cold meetha paan.

If you have felt that the staff did not look after you and was snobby, then on behalf of my team, I do apologise.I do hope that you do visit us again.

Please do contact me at the hotel number.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Agashiye, a Gujarati term that translates to ‘at the roof’. The interiors of the restaurant emanate all the vibes of near independence era with large size Charkha, bell metal artefacts, jute chairs, fountains with floating banana leaves.

I placed an order for a Kansa Thali. the food is served in Bell metal (Kansa) utensils. There are 22 items included in the Thali; the best ones to have are-
•Bataka Vada
•Panodi
•Rajasthani Bataka
•Fangavela Kathol
•Gujarati Dal
•Khichdi with ghee
•Makai Chat
•Desi Chana, Tameta, Keri
•Mugdal Siro (sweet dish)
•Kesar pista ice cream

The experience doesn’t end here. What followed to complete the lunch was a Pan peti comprising Pan leaves, and six quadrants in a box containing cloves, coconut and other items that would make a pan. To conclude the visit, at the table itself they brought a pitcher and bowl made of bell metal for washing hands.

HouseOfMG, General Manager at Agashiye, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear GB W,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and had a good time at Agashiye.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

The entire experience from being handed over a Desi rose with fragrance so delightful to having your hands washed in a bowl was about pampering. The brass thali with many katooris came first. Seeing that in itself was some what over whelming. The fresh pineapple juice with a glass of chass was served first.The food just kept rolling one dish after another giving you the chance to relish different flavours. The aam ras was so delicious and I really wished I had fasted the previous day to be able to have a second helping. I was able to finish every thing that was served once. The quantity was too much and I refrained from asking for more helpings. The staff in spotless white linen Kurta and pyjama had a cooling effect on the eyes after seeing so many colours of food. They were extremely polite and urged us to have more helpings. The natural Anjeer ice cream served as dessert was hand churned adding it's own sort of flavour. Lastly after having your hands washed, came the silver peacock paan daan which was at least over 50 years old. It took my breath away. I had to photograph this besides photograping the thaali with all the katooris full of different dishes.
It was really a taste of Royalty in every sense of the word. I recommend one visit for a great dining experience with authentic Gujarati food.

Dear Sonia,

Reviewed 8 May 2018

I visited Agashiye with family. The setting of the Restaurant is just mind blowing and magical with the lights and mist of water coming through fans is just awesome and sparkling. The food was nearly as good - a wide variety of delicious vegetarian dishes. My one piece of advice is to come hungry as the food just keeps coming. Staff is really well trained and good hospitality. Talking about Ambience and Aura its just out of the blue. A happening place in the middle of the city

Dear Drsushantsud,