“Dull affair!”

Ranked #18 of 157 Hotels in Ahmedabad
Mumbai
“Dull affair!”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed at Ginger, Ahmedabad between 13 Nov'11 and 25 Nov'11. Even though it is a budget hotel, I was kinda confident because I have stayed at the Nasik one twice. But this experience was different!

Good things first. The best part is the location - behind Himalaya Mall, which makes it easy to travel back to. This did not add a lot of eating options though - just a Papa Johns, McDonald's and a CCD. The water cooler on the floor is very useful since you can have drinking water anytime you want.

For me, the hotel itself was dull dud. As expected, the room was basic minimum, menu just about sufficient. But the staff was just not upto the mark. No one smiles or greets guests. The room service is only till 11pm. I ordered a club sandwich at 10.30pm only to be told that it can't be grilled since the machine wasn't working. I still ordered one without the grill. It arrived only at 11.20pm!! A sandwich takes 50 min to arrive!!! Good service? I don't think so!

There was no 'DND' tag in my room when I checked in. I went to the reception and got one. But the next day when I came back from my training, the tag was gone. I had to ask for one more. I spilt a large drop of tea on the floor and that little stain was there for 2 days despite my room being cleaned everyday. Even though just one stroke with a wet mop was enough to get it out when I actually called the housekeeping to do it. Cleanliness standards? I don't think so!

The iron table on the floor is useful but the table was shaky and wouldn't take rigorous movements. The iron was a last century specimen which had brown stains on it because someone must have burnt their clothes with it. Also, the bedsheet on the table was also stained brown with burnt marks. I wasn't too sure if the iron wouldn't leave its stains on my shirts! Usable basics? I don't think so!

I had booked the last 2 days separately since their site did not let me book all 12 days in one go, probably due to price difference. Despite pointing them out to them on one occasion, I got a call on the 23rd to find out when I would be checking out even though I wasn't supposed to till the 25th. I also got a call on 22nd saying I would have to pay the rest of my balance if I wanted to stay on. I cleared the payment for the rest of my stay the same evening.

Though what happened at check out takes the cake. I had made 2 payments online and one payment on request and this pretty much left a very small amount to be paid at check out. But the girl at the counter again forgot to account for the payment I had already made online for the last two days. While I was still pointing it out to her, she swiped my credit card for the amount she thought was due. Had I not paid attention I would have ended up paying 4k more! And now they owe me a refund of about 3k. And this confusion took me longer to check out than if they had been efficient. Efficient service? I don't think so.

The staff also weren't courteous. I asked the housekeeping fellow, who was cleaning the opposite room, to clean mine next. He refused outright and said he will do the departure rooms first!

I am sceptical about the budget-but-good status of Ginger after this experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rovingeyes
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 26 November 2011

If anyone's been to any Ginger anywhere in the country, this would be a very similar experience. And i mean it in a good way. Decent service, clean do-able rooms, good food and most importantly, quite affordable. If its a business trip, this is probably the most practical hotel to stay in, considering its location.

One pleasant surprise was wifi in the hotel :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Danshaw
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The location is convenient,though around 15 kms away both from the railway station as well as the airport. Lies just behind the Himalaya Mall in drive-in road & all sorts of facilities can be availed nearby.

Booking was hassle free through internet booking. The room tariffs for a double are around 4000 but you can avail corporate discounts,weekend offers etc., that makes the tariff more attractive.Morning breakfast is included in the price.You can easily get a room during most of the year,but book it in advance to avoid any bad luck.

All the visiting places can be accessed easily from here and the hotel staff is also very friendly. Rooms are tidy,neat & clean and well maintained as well. Nearby hangout places are the Himalaya mall,the drive in cinema,the vastrapur lake etc,which are at a walkable distance from the hotel.

Overall,a very good place to stay at in one of the busiest places in the city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dpkcoolguy
Gurgaon
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Something like the Vadodra experience though i guess this was bigger and bissier. There was apparently a lot of activity going on and was living up to its repuation of being a budget hotel. The general hygeiene was good though the fanatical obsession with cleanliness was not there. Grub was good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ashish36
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Ginger...a budget hotel from Taj....very good

Rooms are clean and tidy,standardised and there are no hanky pankies involved

bathrooms are clean,sheets are clean and check in and out are easy

getting there is also very easy

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business