“Horror House” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Candolim
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“Horror House”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

If I were a white skined European, I might have solicited a better response from this hotel. But unfortunately, desi skin could only turn darker in Goa. The hotel room was nothing to go by, furnished with some broken pieces of wood for bed. The linen not changed even after request, towels bore dark stains, whether you turned the knob for hot or for cold water, the temperature of the water remained same i.e. cold and I had a room mate in the form of a juicey 3 inch large cockroach.

The place promised us breakfast which turned out to be nothing other than 2 white bread toasts and tea / coffee. The table service was poor and the waiters were downright rude to us Indians - or maybe I missed reading a board saying "Indians and Dogs not allowed".

The upkeep and maintaince of the place was beyond my imagination bad with a pile of garbage as my view from my room.

It would be ideal to get a refund on the cost as the place was close to my nightmere coming true.

Room Tip: Insist on rooms with Poolside Balcony else avoid taking a room in this hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank piyali30
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my family (wife and 3 yr old daughter) from 26-28 Jan 2012.

Researched about this hotel a lot before finally booking my stay. The reviews were mostly positive but it did have some negative ones as well. I willfully ignored the negative reviews and finally had to pay for my ignorance.

Here is my experience with Valentine's Retreat in detail.

First the good part (had to think hard to come up with some to make this a balanced review):

Good location. North Goa. Close to the famous Calangute beach.

An in-house vendor for bikes and taxi. Good guy. Fixed rates.

The hotel did allow me to check-in half an hour early.

Now the not-so-good part:

On arrival, the receptionist pushed me to upgrade my stay by paying extra. I refused.

Got in to the room to find red-ants and cockroaches all around. I gave them specific instructions to clean up the pests or change my room. To which they agreed to clean up. We left for sight seeing. Returned at night to find that nothing was done. The staff had changed and the night shift staff was on duty. I asked them to find that they did not know anything. After a lot of shouting, they sent someone with insecticide spray. The spray did not have any effect on the pests but we had a hard time breathing.

Couldn't take a bath at night (up to 9 am in the morning) as they only have a solar heater. Their electric heater stopped working more than a year ago and they've done nothing about it!!

The fan and bathroom lights which were working in the morning when we checked in, were not working at night! Called in an electrician who toiled for an hour before fixing it. He had to disconnect from Power Backup to make them work. Allowing him to do that proved costly as power went off at night and seems is a normal thing in Goa.

They advertise complimentary breakfast but all they offer is bread-butter and jam. Besides, the pantry refused to deliver food to the room.

Room service was unhelpful and pretty much non-existent. You have to carry all your baggage yourself.

Finally on the day I was supposed to check out, they requested me to check out 3 hours early. My plan was to indulge in some water sports at Calangute, return to hotel, freshen up and then checkout. They told me they'll arrange a room for my family to freshen up when I return and they'll safeguard my baggage in the mean while. They had allowed me to check-in early so I also accepted their request. However, when I returned to hotel from the beach, they said they had no room free for me. Instead they directed me to check out their servant quarters and use them If I like!!! This really upset me.

Final comments:

The hotel is definitely not expensive but is it value for money? I have my doubts.

Would I recommend it? No way

Room Tip: If you still want to stay at this hotel despite my review, would suggest upgrade when they ask you t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Neerav P

Travellers are raving about these Candolim hotels

milton keynes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

we went not expecting much but werent prepared for what we got it was a good location away from the noise of the road the room was cleaned daily but plaster was falling od the ceiling walls were stained and filthy balcony oer looked the rubbish dump and building site but the biggest disapointment was the dinning room it was like one of the local food stalls we were served breakfast on plastic plates chipped cups and the plastic cover on the tables were filthy and didnt look as if they has seen a damp clth for months. the management were surly rude and totaly unhelpfull and uninterested the only time they wanted to chat was when we left and they thought they were going to get a tip. although the beds and towels were changed daily they were grey and stained i think this is a more acurate review than i read befor we went.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suzanne p
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

just got from goa third visit hotel dirty room with view to rubbish filled car park and building site very dusty could not use balconey manger unhelpfulwould not listen when we asked to move rooms boys friendly but do not clean ganga in bar very nice only good we can say booked with jewel in the crown only see rep first day will not use them again advice do not stay here

Room Tip: pool view room
Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank john b
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

nice hotel, friendly staff, nice food. a good budget hotel

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Kaustubh S