We stayed at Sunset Beach for 3 weeks in January, and found it mostly great. The beds are fantastic, especially compared to other places in India, and the solar system ensures there's always enough hot water. The staff are friendly, if occasionally a little 'creative' when adding service charges to bills. As others have said, there's no consistency. But that's not the reason for not giving SB 5 stars. Some small niggles made it less than perfect:
1. We requested a balcony or terrace when we booked, and got one - but as we were on the top floor it was much smaller than the ones lower down. Possibly we could have sat out on it, having negotiated our way around the door, which had to be closed behind you to use the balcony at all, but the plastic chairs provided looked like the 2 faded, pigeon-splattered ones that live behind your shed. This wouldn't have been as annoying if we didn't have to pass the ground floor balconies every day, which had wicker chairs with lovely soft cushions. We asked for cushions for ours several times, but they never turned up. Presumably they didn't want to get them dirty...
2. Although the pool area and grounds were clean and tidy (one poor gardener spent the entire 3 weeks we were there scraping weeds out from between the floor tiles with the smallest scraper you've ever seen), the same can't be said of the less visible public areas, such as the stairs and landings and their handrails leading to the rooms. A scrub now and again would improve the overall experience. A bit of daily bird-poo is acceptable considering the number and variety in the trees around the hotel, but it was never cleaned off. Also, plates, bottles and ashtrays left outside other rooms lurked for days before the cleaners deigned to move them. A case of 'not my job' perhaps?
3. We couldn't get into the room on the night we arrived (at 3am), as the key wouldn't work and the reception guy couldn't find one that did. He put us in another room but then rang us at 7.30am to move. Clearly he didn't want anyone to know he'd messed up - turns out he was trying to open the door with the safe key. So we missed a night in our room and had a very disturbed sleep due to having to get up ridiculously early. But was this taken into account when it came to paying £10 to keep our room for a few more hours due to our late flight home? Of course not.
Having said the above, we would go back if we couldn't get into our preferred hotel. It's just a pity that some easily fixed problems spoil the overall experience at Sunset Beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We specialize in tailor-made package tours for group and individual travelers, offering a range of specially designed package tours - cultural tours, wildlife safaris, guaranteed departure, royal Rajasthan tours, golden triangle tours, airport pickup and transfer, car/coach rental services and many more..... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, ClearTrip and OYO Rooms so you can book your Sunset Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Beach Candolim
- Hotel Sunset Beach
- Sunset Beach Hotel Goa/Candolim