“Decent Stay”

Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Candolim
India
“Decent Stay”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Had stay at the hotel for 3 nights in late September 2011 during our trip to Goa. We got lucky with an early check in as the hotel was fully booked due to some corporate training for 2 days. The check in process was swift.

We got upgraded to a suite which consisted of a large bed, storage, wardrobe, minibar, LCD, spacious bathroom & a small balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Really liked the central console on the bedside which controlled lighting of the entire room.

The hotel is located about 5 mins from the main road. I think a walk to the beach would take around 10 -15 mins. They have a separate car parking area which is helpful especially if you have driven down or hired a car in Goa.

The breakfast buffet was good with a nice spread & variety on all days. The staff was extremely helpful & we got good service inspite of a packed weekend. Room service is also good.

One point that I would take away from the hotel is that its too small & the view around is ordinary.

We didnt try the Spa or the Gym so will not be able to comment on the same.

Overall we had a comfortable stay & wouldn't mind staying again if we get a good deal, but not during the monsoon season as during this period its basically the hotel property that you can enjoy as most of the places close by are shut.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a poolside view as there isn't much around
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SiddAV
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 21 January 2012

While holidaying in Goa over the New Years we stayed at the Fortune Hotel in Candolim for a week starting the 31 December . The hotel is very well located in North Goa and amidst all the happening places which are in easy reach . Great rooms , a very hospitable staff and awesome food to complete the fare .What was most impressive are the activities that are constructed every evening by the poolside to make the evening livelier and memorable . Having travelled far and wide I still cant recollect any other hotel wherein the staff names have become so familiar . Kudos to Ashim , Miguel , Gagan , Hari, Suresh and the rest for being the best and accomodating our group of 30 people in the way they did . Looking forward to being with them again .

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms with the Balcony
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SandySharma_12
Essex
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I don’t quite know where to begin. I had read all the reviews for this hotel before we booked and again before we departed but we left with an open mind and hoped for the best. I will begin with the positives.

We liked the location, it is true that it takes ten minutes to walk to the beach but we liked being away from the main drag and the general noisiness associated with the roads leading to the beach. We booked a suite overlooking the pool, although it’s not really what I would call a suite by UK standards. All the suites are on the 4th/top floor although there’s not much of a view. We had a large comfy bed, wardrobe/storage space, wall mounted television with world service and other English Channels. The bathroom is spacious with a shower over the bath, large sink and toilet. The room was extremely clean, serviced every day with the option to have bed linen and towels changed every day.

The swimming pool is very nice. It’s a good size, they seem to get the balance of chemicals right and there is a swim up pool bar, which has a member of staff on duty for most of the day. I counted 23 loungers around the pool although one side of the pool was in shade from 1pm onwards. The landscaped area around the pool was a mistake, it is now almost entirely mud and when wet gets messy and doesn’t look good, which is a shame. When I asked for a drink at the pool bar I was met with a puzzled expression, the fridge was empty and this is just one example of the hotel not making the best of what they have to offer. Instead the bar is used to store pool towels.

I used the gym which has a running machine, cross trainer, bike, rowing machine, free weights and medicine ball. It was perfectly adequate for me to keep up my marathon training but could do with being air conditioned. We didn't have any treatments in the Spa so I can't comment, although the girls were very friendly.

We booked an All Inclusive break, this was our first trip to Goa and we were in search of complete relaxation and this seemed like a good option for us. This brings me on to the food. Breakfast is adequate, the hotel is catering for the Indian, British and Russian markets and there are dishes aimed at all three. Although I was keen to sample local cuisine I can’t quite manage spicy food at breakfast time and I was happy with the fresh melon, papaya and pineapple, toast, fresh coffee and melon juice. There were inconsistencies, some days were far better than others and yet all the staff seemed to be the same. Our first evening meal was very nice; there was a great selection of Indian dishes in the buffet style dining room. We had high hopes for the rest of our holiday until lunch the following day when all but one of the dishes was identical to the previous evening, and then dinner was exactly the same. This made me slightly nervous of the reheating that must have been taking place. Also, the sausages and bacon from breakfast are rehashed in a salad for lunch. We ate three meals in the dining room during our eight-day stay because we didn’t want to eat the same food day in, day out.

There is no doubt that the hotel is courting the Russian market with gusto. There were three fish evenings during our stay with the menu displayed only in Russian. These events are obviously advertised outside of the hotel and attract a huge crowd. This popularity means that the space surrounding the swimming pool has to be commandeered to accommodate the people booked in for dinner meaning that the loungers around the pool are removed at 3pm twice a week to prepare the tables for the evening. At the end of the fish night the fishy ice used to store the fish is poured down the drains next to the pathway running alongside the pool, leading to the rooms/lifts. This results in a pungent stench hanging around for two days afterwards, which is extremely unpleasant. I had to hold my breath in the lift as the smell made me feel nauseous.

The hotel has an abundance of staff including two security staff on 24-hour duty. There are too many waiting staff in my opinion and you can often see them falling over one another. The same is true at reception where there is little point talking to anyone but the cashier who appears to be the only person who knows what is going on. I’m sure that they could halve their staff numbers if they had some kind of training scheme for the staff who often seem flustered and out of their depth. This is not what I expect when staying in a five star hotel. I must also mention that the standard of entertainment is laughable.

The evening entertainment consists of a man and woman singing Western songs extremely badly and I for one would have been much more interested in seeing local dancers and hearing local music at least once a week. My advice would be to play a CD instead of bringing in singers who cannot do the playlist justice.

I think I’ve written enough to give an indication of what you can expect. I did note that many of the negative comments made previously have been answered, I ordered eggs and they arrived, the coffee was hot, there are towels for the pool. I think this hotel is a good option but ideally on a room only basis, or perhaps bed and breakfast. I hope you have found this review helpful. My husband and I have travelled extensively and this is the first time I have taken the time to write a review. I felt compelled to do this as a duty to our fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a pool facing room otherwise you'll be facing the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Andrea G
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2012

stayed at the regina select candolim goa over new years 2011 - 4th Jan 2012.
Great rooms with balcony overlooking pool, efficient , polite n helpful staff. The entertainment provided in the hotel - seafood night etc were par excellence . Loved nostradamus - their bar n disco - infact our friends even booked it for a private party v had one night - n the hotel was very obliging.
We have just relocated from USA, Ireland , England after 20 years , and after years of travelling and living all over the world , I definitely concede that this hotel was par excellence in their overall experience department .
I would like to thank Mr Aseem Varma , Gen Manager of the hotel , and all his staff for a job well done . We look foward to returning here for yet another amazing stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank savita_nambiar
Tonsberg, Norway
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Booked this hotel for my Christmas vacation for a week. We had warm welcome from the hotel staff as well as welcome drink. People and the staffs were friendly and helpful.

Rooms were clean and fresh always. Food was good but we expected lot for gao cuisine in the buffet but it turned out to be muglai and tandoori/ north india cuisine. Goa is Known for its Goa cuisine, Fortune hotel didnt reflect it on there buffet menu, me and my wife were bit disappointed apart from that overall experience was good. Beach is near by and hotel has shuttle service to the condolim beach instead we had hired Honda activa for a week and was good and convenient way to go around the goa.

Thank you to both staffs at Front desk and F&B

Chand and Hasna

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chandameen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candolim
0.7 km away
10.8 km away
Grand Hyatt Goa
Grand Hyatt Goa
#1 of 3 in Bambolim

Been to Fortune Acron Regina? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK