“Overrated”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Daman
Pune, India
“Overrated”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Hotel Miramar is a Ok Ok property, but the best in Daman sadly. Rooms are nice, however room delivery boys are very crude and dont know any protocol when they speak to their guests.
The receptionists (males) are a bunch of rabid dogs and any query from a guest is replied with long barking, and the guest ends up insulting himself. Stay at Miramar, however dont talk much to the receptionist or else you may else up having Rabies :)

Room Tip: North facing rooms on the balcony side suffer from a continues sound coming out of the Air Condition...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bluntishou
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed 2 nights, the rooms are tired and the bathroom walls had not been cleaned for some time. There was no hot water and air con is intermitent. I asked for the bathroom to be cleaned - request ignored!

The breakfast room was not good - plastic table cloths had burn holes in them and selection of food not brilliant.

The only reason that the hotel is not marked terible is the food in the outside resturant was very good.

Don't be taken in by the photographes of the hotel - and the beach is rocks going out for several 100m

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms. I stayed in a "Super Executive" !
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TJB00

Travellers are raving about these Daman hotels

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had to stay for a day in Daman due to my business trip in that area (Valsad/vapi/navsari); the hotel is around 30 mins from the highway, but it's great to spend an evening there. The restaurant is good with nice food and you may enjoy some drinks with the beacj view; breakfast was good and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Room with a view to beach would be better but costlier
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Some may argue, having read the previous reviews, but we found this to be the case. May be it was the time of the year - Christmas/New year break.

Anyway, the hotel is situated on Devka beach itself, with several other hotels near by. Hotel is of a fair size with a massive outdoor restaurant at the back with a vast choice but a bit pricey. It has a swimming pool and a steam room. There is also an indoor restaurant on the first floor (Solmar) where the breakfast is served every morning for the residents.

Our experience:
The old adage "Too many cooks spoil the broth" seem to apply perfectly to the hotel. Too many chiefs and not enough workers! Had a couple of mishaps which left me reeling with anger when it came to service and taking ownership.
The first experience we had was on the day we arrived. Went to the restaurant in the afternoon for some snacks, ordered some water, and ordered it again, and again - 3 times and 25minutes later), the water arrived only after I got angry at the waiter, who blamed the captain for not tearing a chit? The waiters would not bring anything unless he was given a chit by the captain! - first time I put it down to a simple error.

Second day, we went for an evening meal. A busy evening as it was Christmas day. Ordered and had our meal, after which I ordered a cup of tea. It took 40 minutes before the tea arrived! straight away I requested the bill, as I was absolutely frustrated by the service. Waited 20minutes and the bill still hadn't arrived. We got up spoke to a person in a suit who looked like a manager and told him to put the bill on my room account and told him about what had happened.

We went to reception to collect our rooms keys and when asked by the receptionist about our evening we told him what had happened and he told me to speak to the General Manager and said he was in the restaurant and I should go and meet him. He took me to see him, and to my amazement it was the same person I had asked to put the bill on my room charges. He told me they were busy and apologized. Again I put the matter behind us.

The hotel had organised a New Year's bash and anyone staying at the hotel 30th and 31st were on a Compulsory package, which included B/F, Lunch and Dinner. Since we had gone for a week, we were on this package, but no details were given to us.

On the 29th while working at reception (the only place where wi-fi is available in the hotel), I asked the receptionist what the package included and asked him for all the info he had. He told me he would get that to me in the room.

On the 30th morning while going for a walk, I was handed the coupons for two days for B/F, Lunch and Dinner - no explanation, nothing in writing.

After a long walk came into the hotel through the back from the beach and on passing the restaurant I asked one of the captains, as to why the restaurant was not busy and that I expected a buffet for the guests - his comments were "no sir it is a-la-carte, why don't you come in and take a table?" After another five minutes we went to the restaurant, ordered some snacks as we were not really that hungry. On completion of the meal, I asked the waiter to bring the bill (as I knew we had to pay for the drinks). I handed the waiter the coupons only to be told that the coupons could not be used there and that guests on package had to go to Solmar restaurant. I then argued with the captain, as to why we were not informed when we asked before also that the receptionist had not mentioned this the previous day or had not supplied any info. This third mistake as unforgivable and I stood my ground. The captain called the GM and I explained to him that despite asking for the info I was not given any info or even when handing me the coupons, the receptionist had not mention this. A true GM would have resolved the situation there and then, BUT, not the case here. To prove his point he asked me to accompany him to the receptionist - and there he stood on one side while me and the receptionist talked about what happened and how. By this time I had lost my patience and told the receptionist to prepare my bill as I was checking out. The GM just literally walked away without a word. The receptions pleaded with us not to check out as it was their fault and give them another chance. If it wasn't for the receptionist I would have walked out of there.

Anyway, the hotel had a live band playing every evening till 1.00 to 1.30am, so not much sleep. This happens every weekend from what the waiters told me.
The availability of the drinks and the music attracts a lot of visitors from the neighbouring state of Gujarat where the alcohol is banned. Most of these are single males in their 20's-30's.
They tend to come to Daman for booze, music and women (and before anyone says anything else - we had seen this ourselves and it is not on hear say).

The hotel does not employ any guards at the restaurant in the evening - which we felt is a necessity since we saw at least two drunkards dancing who were carrying guns. A worrying sign when there is free flowing booze and these guys carrying guns!.
Talking about dancing, the dance floor was full of men dancing and not a single woman on the floor. In fact you wouldn't even think of taking a woman on the floor with these boozed up men behaving the way they were.

Overall:
Good points: Good location, some very good staff who were willing to help.
Bad points: Restaurant a bit pricey, as they say one rotten apple destroys the whole apple cart and in this case the GM with his leadership destroys the name of this hotel.

I would definitely say, this is not a hotel for families or couples with the rowdy behaviour of some of the clientele in the evening not something I would want my children to watch.

Room Tip: Do not book the super executive rooms (described as sea facing), as the roof of the restaurant block...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank kukione
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Worst Behavior Of Managers - Mr Sunil, Mr Zubair, Mr Vardaan, Mr Rudesh....even after accepting full payment in advance and a written confirmation for a Sea Facing Room, I was allocated a back side pool facing room. I was committed by GM Mr Vardaan that I will get a sea facing room at the time of booking through Ms Sai Holidays Mumbai. When questioned they demanded more money with such a rude behavior. In front of me Mr Zubair used abusive language to my travel agent when the agent was trying to defend me. Have never seen such a worst front desk of any hotel. Me Being a Senior Citizen was so embarrassed at the time of check in. Very Sad New Year's Eve.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family