“Probably the best option in Patna”
Review of Hotel Chanakya

Hotel Chanakya
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Patna
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
“Probably the best option in Patna”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have stayed at the Chanakya twice. The first time for almost 3 weeks. The second time for almost 6 weeks. This hotel is much cheaper than the Maurya and I was able to negotiate a better rate due to the length of stay. The rate is still very high but there is really no other choice. The rate was less than the Ashoka Paliputra down the street even though the Paluputra seems to be in desperate need of updating when I toured the rooms. I choose the delux room at the Chanakya and asked for the same room for the second trip.

The hotel is very clean. I found the hotel staff very accommodating. Room service was fairly quick. The breakfast buffet is extensive. The tea kettle and tea/coffee supplied in my room was great to have. They let me remove everything from my minibar fridge and use it for fresh fruits and vegetables that I bought at the market and washed before putting in the fridge.

The first time I stayed people kept knocking on my door, sometimes twice a day to see if I needed anything which became quick invasive. I complained to the management and for my second trip no one bothered me. My only complaint is the limited hours one can use the fitness centre and some of the equipment in the gym could use some maintenance..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Logical7
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Among the few hotels available in Patna. The reception was courteous.
Had to hop from one building to the other through what seemed a maze of doors and corridors. There's an easier way if one just went out of the reception area to the building and went in.
The room was spacious. Maintained satisfactorily. The coffee maker appeared unused, and so did not dare to venture. The TV was nice and big, and the picture was amazingly clear.
The bed linen was satisfactory.
Toiletries okay.
Dinner was good - tried a mutton dish with a laccha parantha, and an alu stuffed parantha - yes, I was famished.
The fan and AC did their jobs well, and gave me a good night's rest.
Its located fairly close to the airport and the city, and I guess overall its convenient.

Room Tip: The new building
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ninan123
Bangalore, India
Reviewed 28 July 2011

After having some really disgusting reviews on Patna hotels, it is with great trepidation that I entered Hotel Chanakya. The reception area was spacious, the Check-in was done fast and my room was in a different wing. It had these interesting elevators where you enter from one side and exit from the other. I entered the room with apprehensions as to how would it be. But contrary to what I expected, the room was spacious, tastefully done up, clean and well appointed. To my relief I found the bathroom very clean and all my fears about Patna hotels evaporated. The food though slightly over priced was delicious. Overall my stay at Chanakya, Patna was very comfortable one.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank chitra75
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 17 June 2011

The only option in the city if you have the money. Hygienic and comfortable with clean and polite staff (a rarity in this city!). Not a 5 star but phenomenally expensive rooms. Food is good but be ready to dish out 5 star rates for it.
Not for personal trips.
Internet is charged.
Overall, in this cleanliness and hospitality deprived city, a decent place...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AMMira
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed 5 nights on business and, in general, it was fine. Food was indeed good but service level varied: housekeepers were great...front desk was disinterested. Biggest areas of improvement are internet (wireless is only accessible if you have an Indian mobile number...not so helpful for foreign guests like myself) and the hotel is unable to place international phone calls. So Skype is no-go and you'll have to rely solely on your mobile. A few tweaks and they'll be ready for more international business guests.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business