“Great hotel but staff appear money minded”

The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace
Ranked #14 of 317 Hotels in Hyderabad
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the hotel. The feeling of calm, peace, and elegance enchanted me. The check in process however, took very long and the representative appeared a little confused.

The elevators are operated by the room key card (a great safety feature in most new hotels). The hotel rooms are built around its periphery which means you can look down into the atrium from any floor. Not a good view for those scared of heights.

The room was well appointed and very spacious. It has every possible amenity one could actually desire. The beds were very comfortable and would want you to just lay down and drift away. There was ample lighting and a cosy sofa too to relax.There was a separate bath and shower area. The wash basin had a high pressure tap which resulted in a wet basin everytime and water splashing on my clothes everytime.

The service express touch button was convenient as a one number system for all requests.

The food quality in room service was very good but lacked consistency. A simple pasta ordered from the kids menu for my child was thoughtlessly prepared by the chef and upon providing feedback he actually came to my room to check what I was saying was true or not. A little odd I thought.

The hotel however appears money minded. When I ordered for a pack of diapers, instead of complying to my request, the representative was quick to inform me, " but it will be charged and is not free." It made me wonder what gave him the impression that I was asking for free diapers??? I was quite disappointed and told them of course I would pay for it.

The breakfast spread was lavish but simple basics were lacking. The omelette station has veggies and ham being cooked next to each other. Pieces of ham were falling into the 'vegetarian omelette' and the chef Bhavani was not bothered. This is a strict violation of religious and dietary preferences that people may have. I was aghast seeing this happen.

Inspite being at the breakfast area by 9.30am, it took me long to finsih feeding my daughter. By that time it was about 1015 am or 1020am. Without information the restaurant server started winding up the buffet at a lightening speed which was to end around that time. I explained my plight about single handedly taking care of a child. He ignored my request despite me asking him to slow down so I could pick up some food. So, I had to settle for a few pieces of buns and tea because the hotel staff were more interested in setting up the next meal instead of catering to the needs of the guests staying at the hotel. A cousin of mine (10 years old) who was unwell, only requested for a vanilla milkshake. Instead of complying, the first reaction was, "Oh but its chargeable!" Can you imagine a hotel like the Westin, full well knowing that we had availed of our breakfast for only 1/3 nights, travelling with a toddler was so money minded. Instead of bringing the requested beverage, they told a 10 yo, "You have to pay for it." I brought this matter to the attention of the front desk manager Mr. Ram and also to the restaurant manager who apologized for what happened.

The laundry / press service burnt one of my outfits. Unfortunately, it was very late by the time I realized but I did inform the check out staff about this and did not put any claim on the hotel.

Overall, I still rate the hotel as good because of its ambience and amenities. I only wish the hotel would improve their staff attitude and make it more customer friendly instead of counting the pennies.

Room Tip: I chose a kingsized bed room which comes with a sofa. The twon bed rooms only have a chair and appea...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Westin123, General Manager at The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very disappointed to note your comments regarding the level of service you received during your recent stay and I want to apologize that we were unable to meet you expectations.

We are grateful for your support and would like to thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention. Hope you give us another opportunity to regain your confidence on The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace.

THE WESTIN HYDERABAD MINDSPACE

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed for 5 days on a business trip and thought the hotel excellent in every way. Bedrooms are very modern with very comfortable beds, useful desk area and very pleasant bathrooms with separate walk in shower.

Used the gym, spa and outdoor pool area - all very good. Spa treatment was very good and for a top rated, chain hotel very reasonably priced.

Ate in the main lobby level restaurant at breakfast and once at lunch and once at dinner. It is buffet every time, but a very, very large selction of food to choose from and all excellent quality. Also, ate in the restaurant on the spa level (Kangan) again excellent food. All service was very attentive and helpful.

Overall, I thought this was a truly excellent hotel and very much hope to return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Westin123, General Manager at The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for letting us know that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

It was delightful to read that you enjoyed our services, dining experience and our Heavenly Spa during your visit.

Guest experience is our highest priority and it is always gratifying to receive such valuable comments. Team Westin looks forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

I traveled to Hyderabad for 3 weeks for a business trip with 3 colleagues. What a wonderful property! From the moment you arrive, you are waited on hand and foot. EVERY staff member is friendly and accommodating. The extended duration of my stay afforded me the opportunity to take advantage of many of the amenities so I will try to touch on as many as I can.

Food - YUM! I have never been a fan of Indian cuisine so I was very nervous about my dining options. The variety of cuisines available was wonderful! At Seasonal Tastes, the buffet affords you with the option of trying something new or sticking to an old (or new) favorite. Breakfast, lunch and dinner there were all delicious! Prego, the Italian restaurant in the lower level was my favorite. The food was delicious and the staff was lots of fun! Room service was quick and arrived hot(try the fish & chips!). My colleagues and I stopped by Daily Treats for a bagged lunch to bring to the office many days which was very convenient. I was too chicken to try Kangan, the Indian restaurant across from Prego, but maybe next time!

Accommodations - My room was great! Very spacious and extremely comfortable. I didn't even want to leave! The decor is warm and inviting. The bed was (as usual for Westins) "heavenly". The wi-fi was a bit temperamental, but worked most of the times. When it didn't, I just used my good old ethernet cable. There was also no need for me to bring my voltage converter as the outlets were already prepped for foreign plugs. Bottled water is restocked daily. The bathroom was lovely. If you have time, do yourself a favor and take a bubble bath, it was very enjoyable. The shower is AWESOME!

Additional Services - The airport transfer was smooth and comfortable. Laundry service was prompt and convenient. As I mentioned above, room service was great. The in-room menu is pretty extensive and available all day. Currency conversion is conveniently offered at the lobby at a competitive rate. I enjoyed an excellent hot stone massage in the spa! Treat yourself if you have the time! The lounge on the club floor is very nice. We were there during the Diwali festival and got to enjoy all the wonderful displays of fireworks! The pool area is great if you have time to take a dip. If not, taking up residence on a lounge chair for some relaxed reading is also a fun idea.

Staff/Service: The staff is absolutely amazing! Every single person greets you with a smile and inquires how they can make your day better. They are genuinely interested in your experiences as a whole and I got the chance to sit down and talk to many of them about places I visited and also got recommendations on places I shouldn't leave without seeing. They were knowledgeable, friendly, considerate and always remember your name and face.

All in all it was a wonderful and productive trip. If I have to return in the future, I sincerely hope to get back to my "Hyderabad Home"!

Room Tip: The elevators are only on one side of the floor so you may want to request a room close by if you ha...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Missette03
Reviewed 26 January 2012

While in India you always want to have a place you can escape to from the craziness. The Westin is this place. Clean, modern,spacious rooms . Mice surroundings and great pool , spa and gym. Service is excellent and the on site restaurants are amazing. Price is very reasonable, even for rooms with club access. Loved it especially if you do business in the area!

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with me. It’s inspiring to know your over all stay experience and comments on our facilities and services.

Look forward to seeing you back at The Westin Hyderabad Mindspace.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed ain this hotel during AICOG conference..it was a great experince staying in this hotel. ambience is great.poolside area & spa is great....break fast menu is wast & amazing.. service is also good.. excellent sleep comfort heavenly beds .. great hotel..must stay

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received. I have shared your valuable feedback with concerned departments.