“Ticked ALL the Boxes!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Sydney, Australia
“Ticked ALL the Boxes!”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We had a fantastic time at Jean-Michel Cousteau and can't wait to plan our next trip. We met some amazing people and have some new friends to enrich our lives.

The resort itself was magnificent and ticked EVERY box! We ALL got what we needed: diving, snorkelling, kayaking, fishing, swimming, hiking, yoga, tennis, squash, relaxation, massages, cultural experiences etc. whilst the kids had a ball with their buddies at the Bula Club. Oh, and I must admit that the diving/snorkelling was out of this world!

We hardly saw the kids as they spent their days sliding up and down the waterslide, playing sport, visiting the marketplace or villages, as well as making new friendships. However, if you do wish to spend time WITH your children/babies, then this is also encouraged. Although it was nice not to have to worry for a change!

Oh, and let's not forget the food..... HEAVEN...... absolutely delicious! We could eat as much as we wanted and could never say no to any of the outstanding, mindblowing desserts. The Chef should be commended!

Our bures were beautifully appointed and serviced well. The staff of course were very friendly, and the service was outstanding - particularly good - as we know some resorts tend towards 'fiji time'!

Everything about this resort was fabulous! We plan to return year after year!

Leanne & Trevor

Room Tip: We wanted a 2 bedroom beachfront bure and that's exactly what we wanted. We don't like stay...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leanne B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We recently returned from a magical holiday at the Jean Michel Cousteau Fijian Resort.
Before leaving Australia, everyone to whom I mentioned that we (myself, husband & 19 month old daughter) were to stay at the JMC resort, raved about it ,the staff, food & the whole experience so my expectations of the property where very high even before we left Australia. In the back of my mind I warned myself not to be disappointed as from past experience when you hear all good things about something you always seem to find at least one aspect that does not meet such high expectations. To say how wonderful I found the resort is to say that my expectations were not only met, they were indeed exceeded.
Where do I start!!!
The food was just perfect. My favourite part of a holiday is the breakfast time & the daily special which normally has something from the resort garden meant a surprise every morning. With the good selection on the menu of hot dishes & buffet with cereals, fruit etc there was always something for the little one, they even pureed fresh fruit for her weetbix in the morning. Both lunch & dinner consisted of three course meals which at first I thought was over the top but after the meal, realised the perfectly proportioned serves & the quality of the meal meant you never felt you over ate. For our daughter who is a notoriously bad eater, she ate really well while we were at the resort. Some meals were her favourite so the ever so attentive nanny always made sure that she was served what she liked even if not on the menu. My husband who is French & thinks through his tummy was more than impressed with what the kitchen served. We even purchased a crab at the market & the chef kindly prepared it for us one night with a wonderful chilli sauce & side vegetables, rice.

The Bure was nice & simple. Although I love my decadent rooms in Asian five start hotels it just would not suit my idea of a holiday in Fiji. If we wanted televisions, latest appliances we would go to Bali. The whole package at the JMC resort was perfect including the Bure. The bathroom was nice, clean & big, the products great, the bed & cot for the little one comfy.

The staff was very friendly, warm & professional. Always smiling & ready for a chat, it made the whole atmosphere feel very relaxed. I look forward to returning next year & catching up with them all.

The Bula Club is amazing, the Nannies lovely & the whole concept just what our family needed. Never at one time was I worried about our little one as the Nanny assigned to her was such a beautiful, attentive lady (mother of four). From after breakfast in the morning until after dinner, our little girl had a ball. She played with the other kids in the Club, went on glass bottom boat rides, held starfish in her hand for the first time & watched the frog race at night.

The pool & surrounds are a tropical paradise. The adult pool is very relaxing with the beautiful Frangipani tree next to it. The resort gardeners do an attentive job with keeping all the grounds manicured & lush.
Scuba diving. My husband worked three years in diving all over the world & after reading a few reviews online I was worried he would be disappointed with the dive centre at the resort. He grew up with Jacques Cousteau television series in France which started his passion for the underwater world. He was over excited to be diving at the Jean Michel Cousteau dive centre & was not disappointed. There were not many divers staying at the resort while we were there which meant the dive centre tailored the dives for him & he was over the moon. He dived everyday & is looking forward to discovering some more of the Fiji dive sites when we return next year to the JMC resort.

I could keep going on but to keep it short (well sort of) I must say that anyone considering staying at the JMC resort should go ahead & book! It is a very special place for the family, couple & the whole experience ensures a memorable holiday in this tropical paradise.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank lolop17
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 30 November 2011

As an avid SCUBA diver with over 1200 logged dives, I was so excited to get to dive with the family of the legend of Jacques Cousteau. I always respected the family's work and their focus on preservation of the underwater environment. Unfortunately, I have never been more disappointed, and I truly believe that Jacques Cousteau would roll over in his grave if he knew the details of the way the dive shop at Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort functions. This review is specifically about the dive operation at the resort as I did not stay in the resort, which was beautiful. Instead, I saved money on lodging by staying in nearby Daku, which I recommend. The staff at Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort were very nice, and security was especially excellent.

As for diving at Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort, unless you are 13 years old, have under 20 logged dives, or haven't dived in a decade or more, you will be sadly disappointed. Their focus was clearly on profit and not on providing a safe or enjoyable experience for guests. The boats were terrible, often overcrowded with young children who were flailing new divers who would follow too closely and kick you. Getting on and off the small boats was challenging as there is no floating dock, so guests would have to pull themselves up with their arms when the tide was low. Dive sites were chosen by proximity instead of by their appeal, likely to save money. Night dives consisted of taking the group - children included- into a dangerous bed of venomous crown-of-thorns starfish!

The service at the dive shop was deplorable. We were treated like second-class citizens because we weren't staying at the resort. We were often bumped from excursions where we had paid extra to go to Namena, a dive site that locals say is the best. The staff never apologized and promised that the next day, we would get to go. We would arrive in the morning excited about finally getting to go to Namena, then demanding guests would say that we should be bumped so they could go. We were always bumped and finally gave up and went to the dive operation that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend - KoroSun Dive. What a contrast! We had excellent service, knowledgeable divemasters, a wonderful, spacious boat, and a safe and pleasant experience with KoroSun. If I ever return to Fiji, I would go straight to KoroSun, though I would likely stay at Daku again to save exorbitant lodging costs.

There were some redeeming qualities about the dive operation. Divemasters were friendly and helpful. Also, a marine biologist would often come on the excursions and share information that you wouldn't otherwise know. However, when asked about why the dive sites were chosen, they often shrugged their shoulders and agreed about the danger of taking people to places where invasive crown-of-thorns had overtaken the reefs.

The thing that I liked most about Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort was that it was beautiful and the staff were very friendly and even invited us to their village. If you stay there, I would recommend taking a day trip to Nukubalavu Village to get a feel of how the local Fijians live. It was an amazing experience to share a meal with locals and see how they live, as well as to get to experience the joy of families there. They are beautiful, friendly people.

Going to Fiji had been a lifetime dream. The people there were friendly and amazing, especially in Taveuni. I was disappointed in Fiji SCUBA diving in general because there was very little sea life due in large part to overfishing. The reefs were often pristine but we didn't see a single sea turtle in over 30 dives in 3 different locations there. Locals enjoy eating sea turtles and just about everything else (even bats in Taveuni, which is why they gather in thousands at the only place they are protected - Garden Island Resort), so if it is sea life you enjoy, you should consider elsewhere. The crime in Savusavu was higher, and the people were much less friendly than the ones who won my heart in Taveuni.

Christmas day in Taveuni was one of the most magical experiences of my life. We SCUBA dived in the morning then spent the evening at the Christmas services where locals gather. Everyone was so welcoming and kind. Even the children there will call out to you in their native language, "Remember me!" I will never forget them! Native Fijians are the most genuine, wonderful, most joyful people that I have ever met in my life.

I only wish that Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort had provided a hint of that joy with their SCUBA diving experience.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
18 Thank SunshineDiver
GreginFiji, General Manager at Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Bula SunshineDiver,
It is regrettable that you did not experience the wonderful diving that Fiji is world-famous for. However, all of us at Jean-Michel Cousteau L'Aventure (the Dive operation at Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort) are pleased you experienced the legendary warmth and hospitality of the Fijian people. Your comments are based on a visit over 12 months ago and I wanted to bring you up to date on the Dive Operation.

The period of your visit was marked by high occupancy at the Resort, many guests from other Resorts wishing to dive with us and mechanical issues with several dive boats. Our apologies for not handling those challenges as well as we might have.

In the past 12 months we have added a brand new, additional boat to our Dive boat line up, extra staff, done a light refit of the dive shop and implemented new systems and procedures. We have had many happy divers from both the Resort and outside, and many wonderful comments about Fiji Diving. I'm very confident that if you return to Fiji one day, you will become one of the many divers that return to Fiji regularly for the pristine reefs, abundant sea life - and wonderful people.

I would also like to mention that the our Dive Shop manager attempted to contact you at the Resort where you were staying, to discuss your experiences, but was told you were not available.
Vinaka.
Greg Taylor
Cardiff
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Went for a meal at the resort and was quite impressed by the setting.
I'm glad we did not stop here as I don't believe you would get the real Fijian experience.
At 90 FJ$ per person for the set menu it was by far the most expensive meal we had, but it was good and the setting next to the water made it a bit special.
The staff were friendly and you could not fault anything, I just prefer things more authentic.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Rhooseboy
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I have travelled to some remarkable destinations but this tops it...especially so close to home (Australia)...you would be silly to miss this place as your next destination.

Greeted by the wonderful staff of the JMC family they certainly know how to bring this resort to an exceptional international level of quality and service with considerable attention to detail. Front-house and management team are all very friendly and genuine people...such a great place.

There is 27 bures (freestanding) with traditional thatched roofs and great cross ventilation. The ocean view bures have their own sun deck area and hammock to read a book or have a nap. The small number of Bures balances the right number of people for each guest to feel special and not a number like in other resorts.

I travelled by myself and without children but the way they have structured this resort, I can honestly say that I barely realised there were kids around....unless I ventured to the kids very own Bula Club.

I chatted with another guest and he told me that this was the first time in years both he and his wife had dined together (alone + consecutively) despite having 3 kids under 13yrs with them.
The restaurant, I must add is fine dining restaurant quality with the right fijian atmosphere. The selections available in the 3 course menu will blow your mind...mind you I was lucky if I could finish two courses. I must add, the organic garden and fresh produce certainly makes this resort push the boundaries in the eco-friendly resorts.

Additionally, the grounds are impeccable, well manicured and maintained with the most amazing plants + flowers locally grown in their own nursery.
All staff, be it front desk, house keeping, bar + restaurant, activities, gardeners, boutique, massage or nannies...would always greet you with a smile and most would know me by first name.

Day-Spa. Massage was so good, I went back for seconds it was subliminal. Two massage huts/bures worship the ocean and are purely devoted to massage and spa treatments.

Activities. The resort is well organised in this department...loads to do thanks Pete + Gabby. There is daily itinerary of activities for adults, kids and families...if you feel inclined. I spent my mornings up early worshiping the ocean with yoga...the best way to unwind followed by scuba diving and relaxing or an activity in the afternoon.

The resort has its very own Marine Biologist...dusk presentations were a treat for adults and kids giving everyone an appreciation for this amazing place. I was privileged to scuba dive with Johnny on several occasions...spotting nudibranches, lion fish, eel, surgeon, unicorn, groper, sweet lips, turtles ..and the many more fishes and sharks out at many dive spots and Namena Marine Park...truly unforgettable.

The Dive Centre. The guys + gals there were all very friendly, each dive delivered a new experience each time and completed my PADI Advanced Diving Certification - a big thanks to Mary, Geoff, Rodney and the rest of the super cool dive team.

As an international traveller travelling solo, this luxury resort speaks for itself the amazing staff I must add took this experience to a whole new level.

An absolute slice of heaven to enjoy and relax, and I cannot wait to get back to JMC with my partner.

I am sure I have missed many names and I can't thank them all enough for their genuine hospitality and I hope to see them all very soon.

Philippa (Philly)

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the Ocean front Bure...definitely worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Philippa C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
4.6 km away
5.3 km away
Naveria Heights Lodge
Naveria Heights Lodge
#8 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK