“Great time, new friends, wonderful diving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
Nakia Resort & Dive
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great time, new friends, wonderful diving”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We loved the Nakia Eco-Resort. We were picked up at the airport upon arrival in Taveuni. The accommodations were great, the landscaping was amazing and the views were incredible. The owners, Jim and Robin with their daughter Julie, who runs Taveuni Water Sports, and the staff, were the nicest people we have ever encountered in our extensive travels. This was more like a very intimate bed and breakfast than a normal resort. However, we had all the privacy of a huge resort.

Food:
We requested vegetarian meals with our reservations. Upon arrival we noticed only a few items on the set menus. Robin, the owner, talked to us about her suggestions and we suggested she surprise us for each meal. Wow, what fun. Every meal was absolutely delicious and unique. We could not have hoped for better.

Diving:
Julie, the daughter of owner’s Jim and Robin, is the most knowledgeable divemaster we have ever dove with. We would only dive at sites if the currents were running right to get the full benefit from the dive. Julie would brief us before entering the water, telling what to expect to see at each dive site. Once diving, she would point out or write down what was in the briefing as well as describe other rare sightings. It helped that we were diving in once of the most beautiful soft coral areas in the world with more fish than we thought possible.

We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodside, California
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Everything about Nakia is flawless
The staff is like a family to you, and literally provides to your every whim
Everything from the ridiculously delicious food made by Robin and her amazing staff to the remarkable patience and skill of the dive guides to the amazing accommodations leaves the visitor never wanting to leave. I have been two times, and plan to return as many times as humanly possible. Nakia is Heaven, and I sincerely recommend it to any person ever

2 Thank Eric L
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I spent two weeks at the resort and fell in love with Nakia, it's family and the most delicious food ever. Robin, Jim and family made me feel at home. Very clean, comfortable, beautiful place to stay and the incredible service and food can not be beat any where. I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Pskoglund
California
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but my husband showed me the highly negative review posted by hutuandtutsi. Given the specific criticisms they list, I feel fairly sure they were guests along with our family at Nakia in December 2011 because we all remarked that this couple found nothing positive to say even after going on dives that exceptionally well-traveled divers thought were fabulous. We were stunned by the review because the criticisms are the total opposite of everything we have experienced at Nakia on two separate trips. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but I would advise readers to take that review with a large grain of salt.

Here is my review:
We returned to Nakia over Christmas 2011 after being there exactly two years ago, and we loved it just as much the second time. We are a family of three with a son, now 15. You know a place is great when a teenage boy literally begs to go back and a has a fantastic time even though there are no other teens or even young adults there the whole week.

We love Nakia for two reasons. First, the diving. I am relatively new to scuba; I did my checkout dives at Nakia in 2009 after taking the diving class in California. I am still slightly anxious at times, but Aaron and Julie always make me feel completely safe and comfortable. Their obvious passion for diving doesn't interfere with their focus on safety. Where else will you find a ratio of one guide to four divers, a ratio they stick to even though it is less lucrative for them? The diving is simply fantastic! Most of the folks we have dived with there rate it number one or a close second of all places they have dived, and these are people who have dived at most of the top diving destinations in the world.

The second and equally important reason we love Nakia is the people. We feel completely embraced by the owners as well as the staff. The warmth is palpable as is the appreciation of the incredible surroundings. When I was sick for the day, the owner checked up on me several times to make sure I was alright, and -- even though we were on the weekly meal plan -- didn't charge me for meals I missed. When I asked to have my sheets changed after being ill, she had the sheets changed on all three of the beds in the (lovely and spacious) family bure. On both trips we have spent many happy hours just visiting with the family. The staff are lovely and welcoming and friendly. When we leave, we feel as though we are leaving good friends.

This is a perfect place if you want to relax, dive, gaze out at the gorgeous view of the ocean and truly escape from the hectic lives most of us lead. We have made two trips to larger resorts on outlying islands in Fiji, and they don't compare to our experience at Nakia. Our only regret is that it is far away, but I know we, like many other visitors there, will return again for the amazing hospitality.

2 Thank smudgeduster
Woodside, CA
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This was our second time visiting Nakia. We considered our first trip two years ago the trip of our lives, but, thanks to the perfect diving and gracious hosts, it was even better the second time. Last visit we stayed for 5 nights and visited Castaways in the Mamanuca island group. This time, as our time at Nakia was simply perfect last time, we elected to stay for 7 nights at Nakia. I could go on and on about the incredible diving, wonderful cooking, and lovely bure... After getting back from Fiji new years day, I had been meaning to write a review, but I had a lot of work to catch up on after coming back Jan 1. But then I saw an absolutely bizarre review "Slightly creepy" by hutuandtutsi . So instead of extolling this incredible slice of paradise, I must comment on the review and the reviewer.

I am quite sure I know who hutuandtutsi is, as I recall several of their unusual (to say the least complaints): "not having croutons" and the hutuandtutsi man's odd comment about Jim obvious joke that people not enjoying themselves at Nakia "would be thrown out. I assumed he was kidding... but obviously he had no sense of humor.

During our stay, there was another couple from North Dakota in addition to hutuandtutsi. The ND couple had been diving around the world for years, and, like us returned as soon as they could to Nakia (I recall that they were at Nakia the previous Christmas). In fact, when we saw them at the Nadi air port (for the flight back to LAX), they told us they were planning to come back in September. So there you have it: two families who absolutely love Nakia and one couple, in spite of being in paradise, had nothing pleasant to say. Incomprehensible, to be in paradise and have the distinct displeasure of having to share our dives and meals with hutuandtutsi. After each dive, they only could comment on how much better the dives in the Maldives (or some other place) were. After each of Robin's perfect home cooked meals, they could only remark on how, after 4 days the food, it was getting boring. We had to spend too much time explaining to our teenage son that some people are never pleased and that having to listen to these depressing people should in no way diminish our vacation --- which of course it didn't; how could it? This is Nakia & Fiji after all.

hutuandtutsi says that they felt "uneasy" with the owners. Truly incomprehensible... THE MAJOR REASON for my family and the North Dakota couple to come back was precisely because of the over-the-top hospitality of Jim, Robin and the gang. Several times when hutuandtutsi were out and about, the ND couple and my family spoke about just how difficult this couple are to be around and just how accommodating to their complaints the owners were! I certainly couldn't have maintained my composure and warmth in the face of such an onslaught on whining. When my son said that hutuandtutsi makes want to scream, I tried to turn that into a teaching moment: what incredible people Jim, Robin, Julie and Aaron are to be able to deal with folks like hutuandtutsi in such a kind way. I certainly couldn't -- but that's why I don't run a family eco resort.

Part of the perfection of Nakia is the sense of community we feel (we talked at length about this with the ND couple). Our Nakia hosts make their guests feel that they are beyond welcome, that they are so glad to be able to share this Shangri-La with them. We could only come to the conclusion that this couple must be very sad.

So, please, anyone who reads this review, please feel free to contact me thru tripadvisor. I adore the Nakia gang and want to dispel hutuandtutsi’s misrepresentation of our favorite vacation place in the world!

Room Tip: somosom bure - great for a bit of privacy when staying with your teenage son!