My daughter (age 21) and I spent 8 nights at Taveuni Island Resort in late September, 2017.It's a 5 minute trip from the airport. We enjoyed every minute of our time spent there and on the island, through 26 - 28 degree days and just one full day of torrential downpour. Otherwise, very light showers came and went within minutes, not disrupting our plans at all. The Fijians here were all happy, smiling and accommodating - very humble, beautiful people. The interior of the island is lush, green, low jungle vegetation. We experienced it via walking, taking the Lavena Coastal Walk (Do it!), and horse riding. We took a snorkelling trip to Rainbow Reef (worth it) and a snorkelling trip to Honeymoon Island, so we also captured much of the off-island views and this helped us to orient ourselves better. We also took a ride to the International Dateline sign. All of these reported trips by me can be found on separate sites on TripAdvisor.
We were fortunate to stay in the Lomalagi Bure with its widespread porch overlooking 180 degree views of the Somasoma Straits, across to the distant mountains and shores of Fiji's second largest island. The manicured and colourful gardens and lawns at our doorstep and beyond were a lovely sight each moment we sat there, by a hammock swing, at the outdoor setting or on lounge chairs. Perfect. Very, very private. And so close to the restaurant, office and amenities.The honeymoon suite (Veidomoni) was perched at the edge of the cliff - magnificent views and extremely private. All other bures were a little more set back, but all with views.
The private beach was large for the island, but very small by my previous island experiences. Snorkeling offshore was fine, but not inspirational. Trips to the reef are for serious snorkelers. Last year, a cyclone destroyed many parts of the reef, but locals are well aware of where to take you, to enjoy what is left. It takes 3 years, apparently, for regrowth in those affected areas.
Full day excursions taken were accompanied by a picnic hamper of mixed sandwiches or chicken salad, provided by the resort. Nice. I loved the way that we could rock up at breakfast (fresh fruits, muffins, toasts, cooked eggs etc) to nominate our lunch and dinner options (choice of two each time) and book in our excursions, after seeing what the weather was like. Great, peaceful, scenic view from the meals area, and gorgeous waiters/waitresses. Drinks are pricey, of course, so BYO as much as possible! I brought one bottle of wine, but should have brought more. There's a convenience store near the airport which we stopped by enroute to an excursion, where wine can be purchased much cheaper. Lovely meals. I ate WAY too much!
Do and her husband Ric (Kiwis) - owners - were laid back, very chatty and forthcoming, and generous in their assistance. There are 2 cats, 2 doberman dogs and 2 parrots on the premises, which my daughter loved. Do and Ric filled us in on the interesting history of their adventure in setting up the resort.
8 nights may have been one night too many, but we didn't regret it! We loved our time spent there.
Free WiFi! (a bit up and down, but mostly up)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This award winning resort is a perfect destination for those seeking a luxurious, romantic, adventurous location. This jewel of the Pacific accommodates just 14 privileged couples in large, private, beautifully appointed bures, each enjoying unsurpassed panoramic views. This is a verdant paradise for nature lovers and lovers of nature, home to dense rain forests, 100's of waterfalls & rivers, white sand beaches, world class fishing and diving and wonderful cultural experiences. Enjoy our friendly staff, organic foods and homemade pasta's & gourmet island cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Taveuni Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taveuni Island Resort And Spa
- Taveuni Island Hotel Taveuni Island