After just a few days staying at the Maritim( all inc) we knew we had made a big mistake in booking for 3 weeks.
The grounds are stunningly beautiful - the pool and garden areas all so well maintained. How could this oasis fail to enchant us? Well here's how :
While the restaurant and bar staff are generally good, there was an element who were cynical in the pursuit of tips - often undeserved. From time to time there seemed to be an expectancy of a cash reward for services before any service was delivered and failure to deliver tips up front tended to result in indifferent, or, at times- bad service. It is always our practice to tip at the end of a holiday but this did not seem to go down well with the Jolieville staff who seemed to expect tips on a daily basis whether deserved or not.
The quality of the buffet restaurant varied from very poor to mediocre. On no occasion could we have said it was good. Al Forno served a reasonable pizza, but their fish dish was as watery and tasteless as those served in the buffet. The service there was attentive .
The Thai restaurant was quite nice and the decor and lighting in there was very pleasant.
Drinks: The wine was undrinkable so I had a G&T for my pre dinner drink and water with my meal. My husband thought the beer was ok. When the barmen get round to serving you, they tend to pour far too generous measures which doesn't always make a good drink. We could always get plenty of water to take back to our room - no shortage of that.
The Pool Bar food was at least freshly cooked so you could get a hot lunch there. We watched birds peck the bread rolls on the counter, then a waiter put them on someones table! Waiters opened milk cartons and coffee sachets with their teeth!Most unhygienic.
We did not upgrade - as we were staying for so long it would have been expensive.
Our room was big ,but really needed a makeover as certain aspects were showing wear and tear. There was daylight all round the outside door so the flies were intolerable. The adjoining doors made for a noisy experience as we could hear the people next door talking very clearly a if they were in our room. The beds were firm but comfortable but the pillows were like rocks! I asked for a soft pillow and they came with another heavy/ harder pillow to me. The floor tiles were cracked and chipped and the grouting in the bathroom needed renewed. The bath towels were long and narrow ,sometimes old and thin. I longed for a nice fluffy bathsheet to wrap around me.
Our room was never cleaned to a good standard and we had to keep telling them to renew toilet roll and toiletries as well as tea and coffee. This shouldn't happen in 5*.
Some days we went out first thing in the morning and our room wasn't done until 4.30pm.
The entertainment was terrible. I can't say more than that.
There was a little library in the Windsor Bar where you can exchange your holiday paperbacks.
The shuttle to the beach was a good service and the food at the beach was similar to Al Forno menu. Hot and quite tasty. The staff there were very friendly. There are some shops in the Golf Resort at the beach. Well worth a look.
The 10am bus goes to Naama Bay (stops at Jolie's other hotel) and returns at 11.30am. We used this twice to go to the Carrefour Supermarket.
The Maritim is probably tolerable for a 7 day stay but certainly no longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious, modern designed Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula is a gorgeous 5 star resort comfortably spread over 200,000 sqm of lush, landscaped gardens. The hotel's oversized rooms are only some of the extravagant luxuries that make this the perfect place for relaxation for you and your family. Neighboring the Jolie Ville International Congress Center, the resort takes pride in its ability to welcome both business and leisure travellers with top service excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel And Resort
- Sharm El Sheikh Peninsula
- Peninsula Sharm El-Sheikh