“This is not a 5* Resort!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort

Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort
Ranked #73 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“This is not a 5* Resort!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

After just a few days staying at the Maritim( all inc) we knew we had made a big mistake in booking for 3 weeks.
The grounds are stunningly beautiful - the pool and garden areas all so well maintained. How could this oasis fail to enchant us? Well here's how :
While the restaurant and bar staff are generally good, there was an element who were cynical in the pursuit of tips - often undeserved. From time to time there seemed to be an expectancy of a cash reward for services before any service was delivered and failure to deliver tips up front tended to result in indifferent, or, at times- bad service. It is always our practice to tip at the end of a holiday but this did not seem to go down well with the Jolieville staff who seemed to expect tips on a daily basis whether deserved or not.
The quality of the buffet restaurant varied from very poor to mediocre. On no occasion could we have said it was good. Al Forno served a reasonable pizza, but their fish dish was as watery and tasteless as those served in the buffet. The service there was attentive .
The Thai restaurant was quite nice and the decor and lighting in there was very pleasant.
Drinks: The wine was undrinkable so I had a G&T for my pre dinner drink and water with my meal. My husband thought the beer was ok. When the barmen get round to serving you, they tend to pour far too generous measures which doesn't always make a good drink. We could always get plenty of water to take back to our room - no shortage of that.
The Pool Bar food was at least freshly cooked so you could get a hot lunch there. We watched birds peck the bread rolls on the counter, then a waiter put them on someones table! Waiters opened milk cartons and coffee sachets with their teeth!Most unhygienic.
Accomodation:
We did not upgrade - as we were staying for so long it would have been expensive.
Our room was big ,but really needed a makeover as certain aspects were showing wear and tear. There was daylight all round the outside door so the flies were intolerable. The adjoining doors made for a noisy experience as we could hear the people next door talking very clearly a if they were in our room. The beds were firm but comfortable but the pillows were like rocks! I asked for a soft pillow and they came with another heavy/ harder pillow to me. The floor tiles were cracked and chipped and the grouting in the bathroom needed renewed. The bath towels were long and narrow ,sometimes old and thin. I longed for a nice fluffy bathsheet to wrap around me.
Our room was never cleaned to a good standard and we had to keep telling them to renew toilet roll and toiletries as well as tea and coffee. This shouldn't happen in 5*.
Some days we went out first thing in the morning and our room wasn't done until 4.30pm.
The entertainment was terrible. I can't say more than that.
There was a little library in the Windsor Bar where you can exchange your holiday paperbacks.
The shuttle to the beach was a good service and the food at the beach was similar to Al Forno menu. Hot and quite tasty. The staff there were very friendly. There are some shops in the Golf Resort at the beach. Well worth a look.
The 10am bus goes to Naama Bay (stops at Jolie's other hotel) and returns at 11.30am. We used this twice to go to the Carrefour Supermarket.
The Maritim is probably tolerable for a 7 day stay but certainly no longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road. We had 5415 which had afternoon sunshine. The noisy air con is a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MultiTripper
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Castleford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

First of all would echo what most people have stated. Excellent rooms and grounds which are kept very clean and the attitude of the staff in the bars, beach bars and restaurants couldn't be faulted and didn't seem to depend on whether you left a tip or not which had worried me from previous reviews.
I am neither a gourmet eater or a fast fund junkie but had absolutely no complaints about the standard of food which has to satisfy a truly international clientele and always felt that I had a good choice at every meal.
The only thing that I feel the Hotel truly lacks is any real alternatives regarding night time entertainment. For All Inclusive guests the only free bar is the Panorama with the other two choices The Windsor and The Lobby being pay bars. During the whole week of our stay though I think that I saw less than a handful of people in either bar and both spaces seem to be totally wasted. If the Management want to keep The Windsor bar exclusive they could make it a little more formal (No jeans, Shirts with collars etc) and charge a one off admission fee for the guests stay (50 LE would be reasonable) but I'm sure it would create more revenue than it does now and give AI guests more choice. Does anybody want to pay for the privilege of drinking in a lobby ?. At the very least Coffee and Tea should be available there without charge.
Guests at Hotels in this region all suffer from the same problem that an evening stroll out is not an option so are reliant on the Entertainment provided by the hotels and whilst the staff were friendly and working hard Hotels in the Spanish Costas probably had more sophisticated entertainment in the 80's. I appreciate that trying to co-ordinate this in several languages has its problems but in its present format didn't seem to appeal to any nationality.
The planes landing at the nearby airport did wake me up during the night a couple of times but you quickly get used to them and not a real problem.
Overall I would recommend the Hotel but some areas need a bit more thought

Room Tip: Exec rooms are offered at a cost but there really is no need to upgrade
5 Thank Matty49
southampton, hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This was my second visit to sharm, and I thought the first hotel I stayed at was one of the best and it would take a lot to beat, but this hotel certainly was on par if not better!

The rooms were spacious and well decorated. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade on arrival but thought we would check out the 'standard' room first. In my opinion there is no need to upgrade at all. Even the 'standard' room was much bigger than any other hotel room I have stayed in. Apparently with the upgrade you do get a living area but in all honesty when on holiday, I only use the room for sleeping and showering anyway, but I suppose we are all different in that sense.

I found the food very good in comparison to other hotels I have stayed all inclusive in. There was ALWAYS something you could find to eat and I would of thought even the fussiest of eaters would cope for a stay. I didn’t eat in the Italian restaurant but we did try the Thai and this was to die for! We had a bottle of rose wine, 1 starter and 2 main courses and it only came to £32, which I thought for the quality of the food and the service was brilliant value!

The resort was clean and tidy, with beautiful gardens. The pool was very big and was a nice design. Yes the water was a little cold but again, things like that don’t bother me as once your in you get used to it. We never had a problem finding a sun bed but then again the hotel was not at full capacity so I can't comment if it is the same when the hotel is full. We found all staff attentive and hard working. The only time you do see them to be less attentive is when they are serving people who are rude to them. All you need to is smile and be polite and you will get good service in return. We did tip but only like a £1 to a couple of them that we felt were 'extra attentive', but I don't feel we got better service just because we did so. We tipped because we wanted to not the get better service.

Me and my partner have agreed that we will be returning to this resort in the future as we had a really good memorable holiday and met some great people.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are more than adequate
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Devilsih
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

It is such a shame that this Hotel needs some TLC. It has the making for a 5 STAR but not the way it is at the moment. Our room 5512 was large so we didn't feel we needed anything larger. The bed was so large we lost each other lol!! . We stayed B&B with the intentions of upgrading to All inc if it looked ok , but after listening to other guests we decided not to bother. The breakfast was as you expect from a buffet & was enough . The restaurant's that you can pay to eat in were ok but very limited. We ate in the Siam Thai for our Wedding Anniversary which was excellent. The swimming pool needs cleaning & tiles restoring as around the Jacuzzi they were hanging off & some missing. Glad we did not have All Inc as the drinks were limited & food limited.When we arrived the reception tried to get us to upgrade our room but i am glad we didn't , also he tried to get us to have All Inc, so glad we didn't. At the end of the day for what we paid (£950) for 10 nights BB for 2, we got what we paid for but this is not a 5 Star Hotel. Staff were friendly & helpful , rooms kept very clean. Beach , not really a beach as it is set on rock but if the weather is good i am sure you could swim & see some coral although due to the shark scare 2010 you can only swim a little way out ( it was roped off).The shuttle to the beach was a bit of a pain but better to have it than not & also the shuttle at night the same. Would not stay so far away from town if we go again.

Room Tip: Block 55, 54, reasonable area front facing pool/garden but most are ok unless you get the outside bl...
1 Thank shellshock04
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Spent a week there 3rd March through to 10th and was our 4th visit to Sharm but 1st to this hotel.

We arrived at the hotel and thought wow first impressions were really good, reception staff were very helpful and check in took 5 mins, we upgraded our room to an executive suite it was well worth the money £60 for the week. The room exceeded our expectations plenty of room and a bathroom to die for. Cleaned everyday and fresh bedding every other day.

The pool area was amazing planty of room and didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn for a sun lounger, whilst we were there it was pretty windy upto lunch time but if you wanted shelter when sunbathing there were plenty of movable wind breaks, personally I welcomed the wind as it made sunbathing much more bareable. The pool itself was execptionally clean but absolutely freezing, I only went in once the whole time we were there.

The staff are fantastic and are so helpful, polite and efficient with or without tipping.

The lobby bar and Windsor bar both make mean cocktails however, both these bars you have to pay for all your drinks, hence, not fully all inclusive.

The all inclusive buffet was terrible, I'm a picky eater but my husband is very easily pleased however even he couldn't find anything that he thought was good food, so in our opinion the food lets this hotel down in a big way. We either got a taxi to Naama Bay or Soho Square and ate out on an evening and had so fab food there, needless to say when you pay for all inclusive you don't expect to spend quite a lot of money eating out.

We tried the Thai restaraunt (which you again have to pay for) and really enjoyed the food it was so good we went twice can be a little pricey if you order a bottle of wine, oh and whilst you are in the Thai you have to pay for your drinks too.

We gave the Italian a go one night, you are allowed one visit per stay and you can only choose from a special all inclusive menu, personally myself and my husband didn't like th food and would have been really dissapointed if we would have paid for the meal, hence we did not book and return for the non all inclusive menu that we would have had to pay for.

The guy in the Windsor bar was fab, always made decent drinks and served them with a massive smile.

I need to comment on the cleanliness of the whole place, toilets in the bars and restaraunts, toilets around the pool area the whole of the grounds are absolutely spotless and take my hat off to the hard working staff there they deserve a medal.

This hotel is fab for older people as it is so flat no hills and steps to contend with.

All in all we enjoyed our stay but would not return to this hotel there are too many other hotels that I would like to give a try.

Room Tip: Exective rooms are fab!!!!
2 Thank clarke188