New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Coral Sea Holiday Village

Coral Sea Holiday Village
Ranked #23 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing version of a Holiday Village resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

After a fabulous stay at the Holiday Village in Rhodes last year, we decided to go further afield and try the HV in Sharm. Having spent great holidays there as a couple we were keen to spend our time as a family but a little apprehensive too. So as our experience of the HV was so good in Rhodes we thought it safest to stick with a HV.
On arrival the difference was clear. No warm smiling welcome, a fairly long check in process but we our porter did chat to us during the long trek to our room. This was a huge, swim up room with a great big bed and on the nicer side of average decor. The bathroom smelt of paint and the toilet leaked. We had to turn the water on at the wall when we needed to flush the toilet as it dripped continuously otherwise and the ants weren't strong swimmers. They did however enjoy every other surface in the room, in particular the kettle, which was pleasant! As far as the accommodation went that was that. The weather was terrible, it was a cold wind and little sun type of weather. We thought that there would be plenty to do anyway (18 month olds are pretty easily pleased) besides we had our own pool. Well shared with four other rooms. But it was freezing, take your breath away cold, so we asked if there was a heated or indoor pool. Oh yes, they said, one of each, they smiled. Brilliant, we answered, and made our way to the former. It was cold, and packed and very very strong chlorine. But there was a shivery kind of comradery with the other guests there so we stayed for the morning, vowing to find the indoor version the next day. We had sunshine the next day so ventured to the beach. This was a wonderful surprise. Blessed with a beautiful day, we built castles, tanned our skin, drank cocktails and ate barbequed chicken. Bliss. On our way back to our ants nest we saw the indoor pool. More of a pond than a
Pool. Still, we had found our spot on the beach. On a more positive front, we left our son at the crech for an our a couple of mornings and they were fabulous, he cried when we picked him up! We were given a phone if they needed to call us and had to sign him in and out with a signature that matched their records. Great. We could go to the gym (see cocktails and chicken on the beach!) only one treadmill worked but apart from that it was ok. Once we got used to the ants and stopped looking longingly at the pools, remembering our lips would turn blue we settled into an ok holiday. Until we experienced the Indian restaurant and it's customer satisfaction cards. After a fatty bony filled meat curry and eye wateringly sour wine, we were asked to complete a card listing our experience the service the food and the wine, all up for a 1-4 rating. I mentioned the risk of cracked teeth what with the cows shin bone still very much attached to it's flesh and put that the wine was average. The rest, until this point in the evening had been good and duly noted. I expected, as in the other a la carte restaurants, that the card would be placed in a box for later perusal. Sadly not. A very aggressive waiter shook it at me and demanded to know what was wrong with the wine. I was very embarrassed as the place went quiet. I firmly stood by my assessment and was curious as to why he was less concerned by the meat/ bone report. He slammed the card back on the table and said 'change it', in a gangstar movie kind of way. I felt braver still and left (hurriedly) without changing a thing! Having not learnt from this experience, later in our stay I completed the same style card in our room. This was met with three men and a mop, declaring that if we mentioned anything negative about the room (the ants and leaking toilet) then the smallest of the three, no relevance im sure, would be fired. This time, I ripped the card up. It had made the whole process pointless and I couldn't live with the thought of his demise due to ants. I hated them so, i refused to let them win this one.
In conclusion (finally) it was an ok holiday. The weather didn't help, neither did many of the staff. Though there was a stand out happy chap in the canteen who was very taken with our son and bought him bannas at every oppurtunity. We wouldn't go back, even in a heat wave, but we didn't hate every minute.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank lambylamerson
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Bridgwater
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have just returned from this Hotel after a 7 night break in late April. I can say that for the money you will be hard pressed to better this Hotel and it's friendly, helpful staff. It's roughly a 5 1/2 hour flight to get to Egypt and we flew with Thomson Airlines, it is a long flight now that they have done away with the in-flight entertainment (including films, music and also the meals). Anyway take an MP3 player, buy some snacks and drink airside (or pack sandwiches) and you'll be set.

Upon arrival you will unload your suitcases from the coach and line them up on the pavement, then you are taken into reception to check in. After check-in you then go back to your cases to tell the bell-boy which are your cases, then leave them. Another member of staff will escort or drive you to your room. The cases will turn up 5 mins later,saving your back from any strain.

It's a good idea to take with you pound coins as these are ideal for tipping everyone who helps you, they do not ask for a tip, but believe me it helps in the future. As a rule I would allow a couple of pounds each day to give to the waiters and cleaners etc.

I stayed in a swim up room and this is an excellent choice, as well as having access to a large private pool (shared with about 8 rooms) you will also get hourly service from the Quit Pool Waiter with drinks, sandwiches & ice cream - well worth the tip.

If you want to access the internet then take your own laptop and purchase a 24 hour pass from the Internet team, it costs around £25 - much better value than the £2.50 for 15 minute card. Be warned though that this card will only work with a laptop, you need to log off in order to stop the timer.

There was a slight problem with the mini-bar on check-out because I took out a bottle of wine and put it to the side of the fridge in order to get some water chilled, when the room service checked they missed the bottle of wine and billed me- when I pointed this out it was sorted out quickly and professionally with little fuss and no problems.

Try not to ring the UK from your room as this cost us £40 for around 10 minutes.

The weather was superb with unbroken blue sky for the entire 7 days, although there was a sandstorm blowing through when we landed.

None of us had any tummy problems mainly because we used bottled water for everything (including brushing teeth) - listen to the advice given by the First Choice reps at the meeting, who were excellent by the way.

Can't think of anything else but I do recommend this holiday for familys, but it could get really busy during school holidays etc, so if you want a quiter time avoid school holidays.

I will definately return to this Hotel and will go for the swim up rooms again.

Overall the staff (waiters, bar men, cleaners) deserve full credit for their hard work but the care shown by everyone could not be faulted.

5 Thank Greatwestboy
Lee-on-the-Solent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is the first review ive ever written but i am always reading them before booking anywhere so i thought it was about time that i commented on my holiday to help others thinking of booking. We have just returned from a weeks stay. I will start by saying the hotel and complex is very good but as others had mentioned I would rate it more 3.5 stars, then you can go and feel happy that you are getting what you expect from that star rating. I will briefly go over my thoughts on various parts of the holiday:

ROOM: Before i went my other family members had told me how much i would love the hotels in Egypt as they are really luxurious and fantastic bedrooms. I would say little bit disappointed. Room was fine i cant complain just not fantastic. Room was little bit worn throughout. paintwork crumbling, cracked tiles etc. I didnt complain just thought it best to bring to light this isnt luxury it is adequate. I was a bit disappointed that tea and coffee facilities you had to pay for in the room. Not a big issue as you can get from the restaurant but it would have been nice to be able to make myself a cup of tea when i was up at the crack of dawn with my son.
FOOD: Breakfast was good nice selection of cereals, breads, hot foods as well as omlettes cooked to order. Pancakes made but always cold annd they were more like scotch pancakes, not traditional crepes. Lunch was good plenty of choice but i have to say food was warm not hot and chips were always cold unless you catch them as they have just filled them up. For some reason they dont cook their potatoes very well out there, every time i tried a potato dish it was still hard. Dinner was ok for the first few nights but you start to crave some flavoursome food everything was bland and cold. I waited at the pasta station one night but the chef was too rude to even acknowledge me, he just chatted in arabic to his friend next to him so after a while a gave up and never got to try the pasta. I have to say desserts are very good though, nice choice and flavours!
POOLS: Very cold but unfortunately my son wanted to go in the water all the time and he was 12 months old so ofcourse me or my husband had to reluntantly get in as well. I know its hot and nice to cool down but its like the antartic! Main pool is good but we preferred the quiet pool, more of a friendly service from the bar staff and more chance of getting a sunbed in a nice spot.
STAFF: Some rude and some really friendly. Lobby bar they were miserable and rude. Sports bar couple of miserable ones. Towel guys always lovely. First choice reps are good they are literally at the office all day till 9pm so you can always chat to someone which i thought very good.
KIDS CLUBS: Kids were entertained all day, perfect hotel for kids. My son was only 12 months so his only option was the creche which you had to pay for. I was very wary before going about leaving him with anyone, but i have to say they are so safe and looked after. Lovely little room filled with toys. English nursery workers qualified in child care. He loved it.
A LA CARTE: We went to the indian (SARI) which was nice. I would say though that i had a curry (vindaloo) and it was like an asda ready meal. My husband has chicken tandoori and his was lovely really tasty so depends what you have but the service and staff in there are great. We also went to the Meditteranean. This was nice but not as nice. I had ravioli which was microwave meal tasting and tiramasu which i was disappointed with. Not sure who gave them the recipe for that it was basically coconut cake couldnt taste coffee or alcohol?

Outside the hotel is hassle! everywhere. At first it made me want to stay in and not go out at all but then you just have to pluck up the courage to ignore them or just say no thanks and keep walking. I must say the KFC opposite is great and half the price of england and probably double the portion size. Dont get on the camel that the man tries to push you to get on even though i said numerous times i wasnt interested in the end i got on just to shut him up. That cost me 15 quid i couldnt believe it! ripped off for something i didnt even want.

I would not have wanted to do any longer than a week at this hotel, entertainment in the evening was poor. Wouldnt come if i didnt have a child. Think we will stick to turkey next time But to anyone that is going im sure you will have a good time but you will probably find it good rather than a holiday to remember. Weather was in mid 30s, so i can understand why people chose egypt as their holiday destination for this time of year.

1 Thank KatWimble
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We paid 465 gbp each for a cruide and stay so straight away it was value for money. We started off with a fantastic week cruising the red sea, weather fantastic, ships crew brilliant, tours amazing and the food was out of this world, i take my hat off to the crew off the thomson cellebration. Then we stayed at the coral sea resort in sharm el sheikh, straight away the hotel looked fantastic, we were a bit worried after reading some reviews saying that you get hassled by staff in the hotel but our experience was far from that, the staff did not harass anyone, they asked us if we wanted to join in in any events and took time to chat to people on the subjects of anything and everthing but if you were relaxing they said good morning and left you alone. In the evening the animation crew put on some really good shows and they were pretty much packed out every evenig in the day time they also did something for everyone too much to mention but caterd for all ages from french boulse on the beach to pool side games, and for 18 year olds+ they took them out to various night clubs so that parents could relax. At the hotel the age range varied from young couples to more mature people but every one was treated special, would we go back, of course we would. Thank you to all of the staff on the cellebration and at the coral sea resort, hope to see you soon

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank honcho007
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Booked this hotel last minute for a break with family and friends with young children.

All in all, for the money paid, it was good value, if you make the most of the facilities. But I am basing my review on that this is a 3.5 star hotel at best.

You take the good with the bad, so I will put the pluses on top, followed by the negatives and then a summary at the bottom.

Pluses
STAFF - Very friendly and helpful. We had a really average room on arrival and when we asked to change were promised a better one in two days as the hotel was 100 per cent full. Ibrahim at the front desk was exceptional and we were moved to a much better room as he promised. Other staff work really hard and always are friendly. Amar at the pool bar deserves a special mention too.
The English animation team are all really very friendly too and added to the generally good atmosphere at the hotel.
CHOICE OF FOOD - You certainly won't go hungry here. Breakfast is OK, but at lunchtime you have a really wide range to choose from. Whether you want to eat at the main restaurant, on the beach or take snacks to the pool - it's up to you. At dinner you have a choice of five restaurants and the Indian and Stonegrill are particularly good. Afternoon tea is also a pleasant interlude.
KIDS CLUB - Really good for the kids - they can do as much or as little as they like - they definitely won't be bored.
WEATHER - We had unbroken sun for almost every minute of our 16 day stay. Compare that to a stay in the Canaries at the same time last year when it was cold, rainy and windy and you have a clear winner for a short haul spring sun break.

Negatives
AREA - Outside of the hotel is pretty poor - you get hassled and there is nothing special to see around. The only decent place to spend a few hours is Soho Square, which is a 15 minute cab ride away.
ROOMS - Need a face-lift and I've stayed in cheaper hotels with better facilities and more space. They also don't clean the rooms as well as they could. And you need to strip your bed sheets otherwise they won't change your sheets on a daily basis.
BEACH & SEA - Not the best for swimming and sun lounging, but then again not awful. However if you don't compare to Caribbean or Sardinia and you'll be OK.
ENGLAND IN THE SUN - As its a First Choice hotel that means that 95 per cent of the guests are English so you don't get to meet many other nationalities, which is what travelling is all about in my opinion.

To summarise we were happy with our holiday because it was good VFM as we were a big group with kids. However I would not understand anyone travelling to this hotel without kids as that is its main draw.

It is a huge complex and because I am young and fit and like walking it didn't bother me but if you don't like long walks then stay away as it takes a while to get from place to place.

As I stated earlier, if you judge this place as a 3.5 star place and have kids then you'll be happy. But if you expect 5 star and some peace and quiet look elsewhere to avoid being disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid blocks 12 and 14 as they are so far away!