“really nice staff but a bit shabby in places”
Review of Ocean Club Hotel

Ocean Club Hotel
Ranked #200 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 28 January 2011

travelled single, bed and breakfast basis only, so was allocated a ground floor room with a kind of slit window looking out towards the path to the dive school. at first i thought it looked basic but fine, but the bathroom was really no great shakes (very small, water came out brown to begin with, shower curtain doesnt reach the floor so whole bathroom ends up getting wet) and the mosquitoes really killed it for me. despite spraying myself every night with insect repellent i ended up with 3 or 4 new bite marks every morning. note that no window was open during the night, and i made sure to close the door to the bathroom thinking they were coming in through the extractor fan, but they get in somehow. the numerous bite marks i ended up with from a week of staying here is almost enough to convince me not to go back.

also the TV reception is a little scratchy, if you only speak english you will have a choice of BBC World News or Fox Movies (with arabic subtitles).

i had no problem with the food available at breakfast (i have been to egypt before so have some idea of what is safe to touch and what not), or even at dinner, although the waiters at breakfast are very keen to sign you up to the mongolian night / folklore night events (are they on commission?) and will swipe stuff off your table if you so much as blink in the wrong direction.

the good points were the lovely warm water in the shower, the eagerness of the housekeeper every day (folded all my clothes that i left in a heap), the safety deposit box, the chatty barman in the phoenix bar and the pool / towel attendant. also the reception were happy to answer any question you had in perfect english.

most of my stay i was diving with ocean college (more about them somewhere else) but ocean club hotel as one of their bases is obviously ideal for sliding out of bed, wolfing down some breakfast and being on the doorstep for a bus pickup for your days diving.

once you figure out that Il Mercato is in walking distance, and T2 bar is just next door but one, and that the free shuttle to naama bay will bring you back again as well (at 10pm) you realise that this place is probably very good value for the not very much money it costs to stay here. all in all it was good. just bring some protection from those damn mosquitos !

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank willw

Reviewed 25 January 2011

I honestley have no idea why people are winging about every little nab on this hotel :| its fab!

Yes it is small, But with it being one of the smaller hotels the staff fully ensure you are being completley looked after. Mohammed who works in the resturant is a gem! As is 'Mr Gardener' who always suprised us with flowers for the family, and the cleaner! I've never been more looked after than I have at this hotel.

Yes it is out of the way, but with FREE shuttle buses taking you into Naama-bay on the night and bringing you back to the hotel how can you complain?

While we were staying there for 2 weeks, there was one abusive woman who shouted the odds on were there 'La Carte' resturant was.. Er where does it say Ocean Club has a 'La Carte' resturant, you aren't paying over the odds for this holiday, but you are getting 110% worth of your value.

We booked this holiday with Thomsons, and they tried selling us excusions, dont book with these! They charge you overboard compared to local ones. Across the road there is a little excusion shop called 'Tesco' book there! 'Jimmy' and 'Marco' are fab!
We booked with them
Cairo - Pyramids, Museum, Boat (have to pay EGP50 each which they didnt tell us about) Papros museum perfume museum. Great to say we have been to Cairo and seen it all, but would not go again.
Quads + Camels (inc. bediuon tea) - AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! Quad biking through the desert wowey! was fab :), the camels well not so good haha! There was 3 of us, and we had a 13 year old boy tops looking after us on the camels who were wanting to do there own thing... not good haha.
Glass bottom boat - See all the pretty fishes :)!

The main plus for me about this hotel is there is NO RUSSIANS! The manager doesn't allow them in as they are honestley awful :| We went to the reef beach for the day, it was full of them there, its there way or no way. So rude, just awful.

The Phoenix bar has the potential to be great, if they slapped the prices down in there and put abit more alcohol in your drink! Then again it is a muslim country, so you respect there rules and ways of life.

WiFi is not free. 18EGP for 30 mins, 30EGP for 1 hr.
Pools, are good enough. Big one which is used for diving but anyones welcome in it and a smaller family one.. They were both non stop being cleaned so can't fault that.

If your going to Egypt take some tummy upset tablets, YOU WILL NEED THEM!
We didnt speak to anyone who didnt have 'the revenge'.

If your going to Egypt I would reccomend this hotel, and going for two weeks. If you go for one week I dont think it would be worth it as Your not well for a day or two, and it is BOILING like really hot, so you have to get half used to the climate :)

We had a fab time thanksss x

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BexJoe2011
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My partner and I decided to visit Egypt in January 2011, we decided to book with the Ocean Club hotel based upon the reviews here. The hotel is nice and I found it to be a in a good location. The old market and Il Mercato are within walking distance and for our entire stay we avoided the use of a taxi. Everyone rants and raves about Naarma Bay but we found it to be horrible and prefferred to eat in Il Mercato. We would recommend Il Mercato for eating and the Old Market for shopping (especially the bazar shop on the right when entering the old market, its very cheap). If you speak with ther staff they should be happy to provide you with directions for walking. Were not the kind of couple who like to laze around the pool so the walk was a welcomed bit of exercise and we had no hassle along the main road (other than taxis beeping you if you so much as point or scratch your head, its kinda like being in a auction house). But even if you didnt point or scratch your head they would beep we found this irritating as we would be having a nice conversation only to have it spoilt with beep beep f*&$ing beep and taxis curb crawling along the pavement hoping to get our business. The supermarket over the road had the most choice but beware there is a perfume seller that lurks around the till poaching customers. Nextdoor is Scarabee and the owner is very friendly but bear in mind the papyrus is overpriced for what it is. We said we may look into buying some at the end of the holiday but he told us the paint takes 4 days to dry (im highly doubting this is true). If you want cheap papyrus goto the 4.99LE shop near the metro supermarket in Il Mercato. Incidently the metro supermarket is good also and has a great choice.
I found the hotels no food and drinks policy a little off putting especially as we both fell ill to tummy bugs and needed to not feel guilty about knocking back the liquids. I would try to avoid dairy products if at all possible as we think it was caused by a pancake or omlette for breakfast (we could well be wrong, but bear in mind Egypt has a very high case of salmonella food poisoning).
If you are missing your full English breakfast then nextdoor is a bar called tavern2 who make an OK full english breakfast. I resorted to this one day as I missed breakfast at the hotel (7.00-10.30a.m). The breakfast at the hotel is basic but nice. I ate croissants, jam, fruit salad and tea/juice most days.

The rooms were basic and clean although there were a few let downs. There was a spike sticking out the bathroom wall between the sink and shower at ankle height which served no purpose other than being a hazard. The bed legs looked like they were about to give way which I complained about and nothing was done. We also found that the bathroom is more of a wetroom as the shower overflowed when used.
We also noticed upon arrival that our mini bar was missing 2 items based on the list provided on the front of the fridge, I kept meaning to inform the staff but never got round to it. Needless to say upon leaving they charged me for this. I told them that I hadnt taken anything from the mini bar all holiday to which they replied we check the mini bar everyday (yeah right). We were also nearly stung (170 LE) for a meal which we did not have and after a little bit of argueing they realised it was an admin error on their behalf but still this is gave us a bad last impression on the hotel. Apart from these points the hotel staff were very friendly and we werent able to fault it.
We had a bit of a problem with mosquitoes and tried everything to get rid of them. They still found their way in (through the air con system) so we had to resort to sleeping with the bed sheets pulled up over our faces. If you can I would recommend taking some netting and selotape to block the vents or order a mosquito sac. Im sure some rooms are worse than others for this though, we had room 406.

To avoid hassle from the papyrus, perfume, excursion sellers we found it best ot not make eye contact and pretend you dont speak English (the Egyptians dont speak Spanish so this worked a treat if you happen to know a little spanish, or just say Eh espanol? and they'll lose interest).

We paid 15GBP for quad biking and 21GBP using the excursion shop over the road called Tesco safari. We found the owner Jimmy will give you a little discount if you buy 2 or more excursions from him.

We had no issues with security of our belongings in the hotel, we locked everything in the suitcase each day before we left and didnt use the safety deposit box, which is free of charge anyhow.

The TV in the room has a fox movies channel which was useful and a UK speaking news channel (the batteries did fall out of the remote all the time though as the back part was missing).

Please bear in mind this review was going to be very positive but I changed my mind after being charged for the mini bar items and almost charged for a meal that we never had.

The WIFI was not free as noted in previous reviews and only worked in reception or nearby.

We got the holiday and flights for just under 200squid so felt for what we paid it reflected good value for money overall. Hopefully the above information gives you enough information to decide whether the Ocean Club was for you. We would return to the ocean club but when there is a big wide world out there to see I dont think we will be returning to Egypt in the near future.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nuzuki
Reviewed 5 January 2011

The hotel stands out for its attentative and genuine good service. The rooms are above basic and the stay is quiet and peacefull. Its only £2 by taxi to OLd Sharm and £5 to the Airport. There is a resident Egyptian sports massage facility which was run by someone caled Islam. This guy really knows about fixing aches and pains.Within 2 minutes he had identified 2 old injuries on my spine and pointed out an ache in my neck without a hint or a clue from me. He pointed out the stress in my muscles and the build up of lactic acid. Im sure that I will reduce my golf handicap by about 3 shots already. Yes its a great place and you wil get the best out of it if you learn to dive with the school there. Food was also very good and served hygenically.. Have no worries if you want a peacefull relaxing stay !

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyonresh
Reviewed 8 December 2010

this was our last hotel and my birthday week.this is a small hotel but with an excellent dive school. the pools were good.rooms basic but roomy. the resturant however was let down by the flies everywhere,tea was stewed to resemble tar,and food uncovered.they had air cond ,but left the doors open.For the price and the very helpful friendly staff who worked hard to make the stay enjoyable it is a fair hotel. There is a bus to reef beach but u have to pay 15egp per person,sandy beach is free.One of the best things was the bus into and back from namma bay was free and the driver excellent..thanks also for the flowers swans etc would i go back not sure.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple