“best ever holiday”

Ranked #66 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
walsall
“best ever holiday”
Reviewed 20 June 2009

we have just returned after our 7th visit to the hilton hotel and we must say that this hotel was really great once again.checking in went very smoothly.but i do think it pays to be a hilton honors member i think that everybody should join this it has good advantages.the front desk staff were perfect could not fault them at all.amination team were excellent espesily lee i would give him 10 out 10 for his stretch classes.i find at this hotel that nothing is to much trouble for them they go out of there way to help you.all the areas of the hotel were always kept very clean.we had the romantic meal on sundeck of the sunset bar it was really done very well.we could not fault it in any way the food was excellent.we even had our waiter for the evening.i cannot understand why this hotel gets some negative reviews because we would never have gone back or recommened it to our friends who have also returned back there and they also took there friends who also really enjoyed themselves.so we think that says it all.what more can you say.

1 Thank jeantonyWalsall
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
england
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My partner and I went to the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort exactly one year ago before returning again this year. On arrival check in was very fast and we were whisked away on a golf buggy and taken to the new extension within minutes of setting foot off our coach. This was the first time we had stopped in the new extension as it has only been open for several months. The room was clean, modern and very spacious. The bathroom was lovely too. There was a lot of wardrobe space as well. Our room faced the pool which was very nice.
The first day we sat around the pool, which didn't feel as over crowded as the other side and more relaxing. You could hear the planes during the day but it didn't seem to bother us, and it is to be expected as you are only 10-15 minutes away from the airport. The weather was lovely and breezy, it would definately be too hot with no breeze and I am not one to moan about the heat! It has been mentioned in a past interview that the pool was 'dirty' and that the recreation team only cleaned the shallow part... well they are far from telling the truth. My partner and I watched them a numerous amount of times wading through the water with their trousers rolled up cleaning the pool out. There may have been a palm tree leaf floating around the pool all day and some sand (this is because before you walk into the pool there is sand there first so obviously it is going to transfer into the water). The waiters in the restaurant again were amazing, very attentive and always smiley, as if they have no worries at all. Again, someone has mentioned that people dress for dinner as if they are 'going to the beach' I saw nobody like that, and as long as you go with a top/t shirt on and some shorts/skirts etc then it is acceptable. You have to remember that you are NOT on a cruise ship and you don't want to be going to the restaurant dressed like a million dollars, because most people here just want to relax. There was a variety of foods, they catered for me well too as I am a vegetarian. Although most nights I would have a pizza just because they were fresh and tasty.
Egypt is well known for upset stomachs, however, nothing to do with the hotel food, as I never had anything that was pre-cooked and left, just fresh foods, such as the pizza and eggs for breakfast. Numerous times the staff changed 3/4 full food trays with hot fresh food. These stomach upsets are most likely to be the money that they were touching and the heat will have a big impact on it too. The ice cubes over at the hotel are okay to have, they are sent by 'pepsi' so are not made with the egyptian water. I would use the bottled water for brushing your teeth too, as that may cause an upset stomach. The animation wasn't as good as last year, the animation team tend to do the acts themselves now, such as the Fakir Show, which was performed by professionals last year. They must be cutting the costs of hiring acts. However, a must see is the dance show. The animation team do this as well, but they do break dancing and it is really good. Lee, Bob and Jackson were the best of the animation team, friendly and became a part of our holiday!
Overall, I would definately go back next year, there has been no faults just that the animation could have been better. I hope that people going for their first time will read my review and not listen to the bad ones as the people saying bad things are clutching at straws and have to be 'stuck up' to say those things. Personally, if the people are going to whinge and say it is 'not good enough,' 'it was the food that made us ill' and that it was 'filthy', then why aren't they going to the overpriced Four Seasons Hotel down the road? But, they would only write on here again and have something bad to say about that too. There is just no pleasing some people.

Guildford
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This our 3rd visit to Sharks Bay, the last visit being 2 years ago now. All I can say is what a let down, not a patch on what it used to be, I think is largely due to the fact that the resort can't handle two seperate hotel complexes.

We stayed in the new part and while I was happy with the accomodation the service, food quality and general state of the swimming pool really gave me cause for concern. You can also tell that they have put the new resort together in super quick time as its nothing special to look at.

The new swimming pool looks the part with the water slides etc. but when you actually get in it the floor is very dirty as the pool boys only clean around the corners of the pool (they can't reach the middle!). We found all sorts in the centre of the pools and this really put us off going in.

Both myself and my partner had severe stomach problems which resulted in us eating bread and soup. Currenlty on anti-biotics now we are back in the UK. If you think that we have weak stomachs or haven't travelled this is wrong, never before have we had upset stomachs in Egypt or anywhere else for that matter and we have travelled extensively.

The service was a let down, the staff began to really grate on me after a while as they are too busy on trying to chat up the nearest woman or your other half while they forget your drink order or don't take it at all. Manors don't get you anywhere so I adopted the approach of the russians and just used minimal words when ordering. They regulary spoke in egyptian while you were present and directed it at you, who knows what they were saying. They are certainly anything but genuine. I wouldn't trust half of them as far as I could throw them, the photographers being the main culprits some of the photos they took were sailing too close to the wind for my liking.

The bottom half of the resort (old part) is looking very tired and is in dire need of an update. There is no fish left at the house reef, maybe due to the fact the boats use the same jetty as the snorkelers so enjoy sucking in the petrol fumes! The fish have obviously decided they couldn't take it any longer and swam off (or died!). When we were there one of the guests was allowed to take their dog on the beach, the dog proceeded to walk up and down the jetty, sometimes swimming where you were snorkelling, not what I would expect from the Hilton.

A real shame that this once great resort is turning into a Benidorm AI resort. Example's of this, we went to the chill out bar for a quiet evening drink. This wasn't possible as a group of Brits abroard had set-up shop on the top floor with tops off and bare feet out, what a site! I didn't know what was worse the animation team or them. The whole place has slipped, I don't expect to be eating an evening meal with someone ready for a day out at the beach complete with vest and flip flops. One guy made me laugh when he went up to a member of staff in the restaurant and asked "Give me as much duck as you can fit on that plate, me kids are starving and we don't get duck at home" lovely, I nearly asked if he wanted chips with that!

One plus point the airport experiences, arriving and departing were hassle free!

2 Thank Guildford_R
Notts
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I cant fault this hotel at all.

We have stayed here 4 times and actually booked to go to the Jaz Mirabel Beach which is a 5 STAR but on arrival there we had a number of problems so asked to be moved back to the Hilton.

As usual they cant do enough for you and we had a free upgrade as we were Hilton Honours guests. The new part to the hotel is absolutely FAB and the pool areas with waterfalls and slides are great!

Staff major friendly again and made a real fuss of us as we new most of them.

If you want a good holiday that is informal where you dont have to wear long trousers for dinner in the searing heat ... and it is hot this time of year, look no further! Great food, rooms are FAB especially in new part with tea and coffee making facilities (free), water free, Satelite TV with movies (free), you may laugh but you pay extra for a lot of these in other hotels!

Food is good and plenty of selection expecially breakfast, entertainment has got much better with two acts on a night now and is much more up to date than we found last year. Snorkelling is great and straight off of a jetty.

In all another lovely holiday (2nd this year to Sharks Bay) and yes we will be back in November. See you there :)

PS say hello to Mohammed in the gift shop in the new complex as he is a great guy and will do anything for you. His cigarettes are the cheapest in resort if the can haggle with him L&M's we got for 85 LE (bargain)..

1 Thank happytravellerNotts
Suffolk
Reviewed 17 June 2009

stayed in March 2009 with my mum who has mobility issues.

Prior to arriving I emailed the hotel to request a ground floor room if possible on the newer side as knew they had walk in showers. We also asked to be near to the restaurant. All the requests were granted with minimal fuss. We were with hindsight too close to the restaurant as we had the sports bar just to our right blaring out until the early hours!! Never mind our fault.

Room was huge with flat screen tv and seating area, the requested walk in shower worked ace as well as a bath with shower and large vanity unit. Lighting was good and loads of wardrobe space.

The staff here are the best asset of the hotel, all were very helpful to my mother making sure she got around the resort ok and in and out of the restaurants and bars. In particular the guys at the first pool bar on the new side were ace as was the guy driving the bus around the resort.

Food - fine, always found something that was ok, found new side better as older side was a bit manic and not on one level for my mum.

Bars - rubbish!! But we did not go for nightlife so can't complain. the red wine became more drinkable once you had a couple!

Beach - there is none as you would expect. if you have any issues with stairs do not stay here if you want to snorkel as you will not be able to get to the beach.

We did the half day snorkel trip and Mohammed and Mohammed were so kind as were all the crew on the boat in helping my mum on and off, making sure she was ok as she was not swimming and generally being kind.

The older side of the resort seemed more noisy although we did not go too often as tended to head to terraces above beach or stay at the new side pool as it was quieter.

Ohh it can get vvvvv windy at new side pool, creates a wave machine!

Went to gym a couple of times, good set-up only downside was the tv blaring our Russian soap operas but this was due to selfish guests not plugging in earphones rather than the hotel!

got changed on last day in the "spa" bit grim to be honest, only part of this complex that was.

Overall great hotel for a cheap winter break in the sun.

• Stayed March 2009