“Amazing time”

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort
Ranked #70 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed here from 21 June - 5 July and had a fabulous time. The reviews on here were a bit hit and miss so went with an open mind but we neednt have worried. Right from check in everything was perfect. Perfect room in the old side which is lovely. Room 1207 and it was great. Right near reception and all the restaurants and overlooking the main pool with a gorgeous view and also a view to the sea if you looked to your right from the balcony.

Hotel is spotless our cleaner Mohammed made towel art every day and they got better and more adventurous as the fortnight went on, this is without being tipped once. It just shows you that you don't have to tip to get good service.

Food was lovely always found something to eat even though my partner is very fussy they even made him plain Chicken and chips one night when it was russian food and he didn't want to eat goulash or cabbage soup!! They went out of their way to help us out and making a full chicken and chips for him with mashed potato too and salad was a great thing they did for us. This hotel even have cleaners during the day sweeping up petals off the floors..... I have never in my life ever seen anyone doing that and I've travelled a lot. Spotless clean all over. Room fantastic did not need to pay for upgrade at all the room was plenty big enough with lovely tv and huge bed and adequate balcony. Fantastic holiday and we will return again next year without question. Oh and I also had a massage in the spa which was heavenly.

Wonderful Hilton sharks bay thank you, same room again next year please!!

Miss wood
Manchester

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank naty2kn3
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests were satisfied with the facilities and service during their vacation and that you plan to return at some stage in the future.

Once again, we thank you very much for your report and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Hilton Sharks Bay.

Yours sincerely

Amira Ismail
PA to General Manager
Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just got back after 2 weeks at the hilton old side.the room was big bathroom fantastic (wet room)
staff fantastic cant do enough for you the food was good lots of choice if they did have out what you wanted they were more than happy to get it. a special thank you to reeda our waiter excellent service and nono in the kids club she was lovely my 8yr old granddaughter had a great time. we will back again dont listen to the horror stories they are few and far between
cleanist friendlyist hotel i've been to for awhile.

Room Tip: ask for sea view more quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank michael k

Been to Sharm many times, but first trip to Hilton

Great hotel. Has a number of restaurants to choose from. We ate in the Italian twice, great service, you have to book a couple of days in advance, but its part of the All Inclusive.

We also ate twice at the Asia restaurant, this is fab, not part of AI, but well worth it for the food and service, just brill. Thanks to Sabry especially.

We had lunch in the Egyptian restaurant, but not dinner, was just too warm, but the food looked and smelled great when we walked through it to go to the Italian.

The main restaurant had, for us, pretty good variety, I dont think we had the same thing twice. Many thanks to Sakr here, he was great, and set our table with a heart shape of flowers for our last night, great touch. This is the only hotel we've visited in Sharm that does poached eggs to order, nice touch Hilton.

Pool area, immense in the new part, with a beach area, great for kids. We used the adult pool area for the peace tho! Theres a terrific barman at the Splashes bar called Amir, he was first class. We had spent a few days in this area and were about to move elsewhere because of the two grumpy staff here, but Amir arrived and transformed it, his work ethic and customer service is tremendous. So we stayed! Mahmoud, the towel and pool guy was first class also, He doesnt speak much English, but I speak a little Arabic (bas mish kiteer!), and he loved that!

We had upgraded to a suite and this was great, two big rooms, two fridges, two TV's, loads of space for just two of us!! The room cleanliness and towel art is great, well done Allah for looking after us so well!

My daughter emailed the hotel asking for a card to be left for me for Fathers Day, and they delivered a complimentary cake to our room, with "Happy Fathers Day" written in chocolate, how good is that! They also emailed my daughter back to tell her what they had done! Brill!

The new part is closer to the airport, but we werent disturbed by aircraft at night at all, although June is a quieter season in Sharm.

A couple of moans, but they are fairly minor. 1. They have free wifi, but its problematic, especially with Apple devices. My wife never had a problem, but my iPad kept getting locked out, I ended up on first name terms with the IT manager! However, if they didnt have it, you wouldnt miss it, Soho Square has free wifi anyway. 2. We loved sitting outside in the Q club to watch the sun go down with a glass of wine in a real glass, and without reason they changed the opening time from 4pm to 6pm.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, well done Hilton!

Room Tip: Suites in new area are mega!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank m4xwl
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just returned from the Hilton having stayed there for nine nights.

I should start by pointing out the good things about this hotel: the pool on the new side is massive, the beach (and its coral) is delightful, the beer was cold and actually out of a tap, our room was very good and Mohammed our cleaner was very attentive (if not at times a touch overbearing).

Unfortunately we experienced a number of other problems which ultimately mean that we could never recommend staying here, indeed we would positively warn against it.

1. The food and drinks

In keeping with quite a few of the other reviews here: the food genuinely is terrible.

Breakfast on the new side was chaotic and the restaurant was not clean (old plates laying around, food spilled from the buffet not cleaned up). Lunch was the worst. Food is prepared long in advance of it actually being served which is clearly bad for hygiene. (We know this to be true as my girlfriend requested to have no "beef bacon" in her club sandwich only to be told "they are all already made and we cannot make a change.") Another couple we spoke to said they'd seen a member of staff drop a whole tray of salad from out of a fridge before picking it up and putting it back in a different fridge. I personally witnessed a waiter spilling chips on the bar top prior to serving a dish, at which point he just grabbed them with his hands and shoved them back on the plate.

There was just a very obvious lack of care involved. We both lost two days of our holiday, laying in bed, unable to risk being too far from our toilet. No doubt the management will reply to this suggesting that it was just the heat, but my girlfriend is from an extremely hot country and has never had these problems before. Likewise I have spent extended periods of time in hot places without having to spend extended periods of time sitting on a toilet groaning. Similarly the management's line that "as the resort is all inclusive, if there was a problem everyone would be affected" is clearly a very weak argument: different people eat different things, not every dish will have caused illness. That said we encountered a worrying number of people who were affected. It really cannot be a coincidence.

In terms of dinner, the buffets are well described below as mainly consisting of "slop". We managed to go to Il Rustico once which was OK (don't expect the pizzas to actually match the descriptions on the menus however). After our illness we only ate in House of Asia (which you have to pay for) or in one of the restaurants in Soho Square. These were all really good and affordably priced, making me suspicious of the new chef's excuse that the food is so bad because there's a problem getting ingredients from Cairo.

On the drinks, mercifully the beer is cold. Unfortunately for my girlfriend (who doesn't drink beer) the mixed alcoholic drinks and cocktails were generally not. They do put ice in the drinks but unsurprisingly this melts almost immediately. The problem could be so easily fixed by just keeping the mixers in a fridge rather than out on the bar in the sun, but this would involve more effort for the barmen so is obviously not likely to happen. The mixed drinks were also often undrinkable due to the sheer lack of care with which masses of alcohol was hurled into the tiny glasses you're given, whilst the ingredients that went into the cocktails sometimes didn't resemble what the menu said in any way shape or form.

2. The service

There are some good, hard-working staff at this hotel. In particular Mohammed the cleaner on the new side was very attentive. However there are also (particularly amongst the waiting staff) some utterly miserable, moody men. At one breakfast I actually had to ask one of the waiters what his problem was after he made clear his dissatisfaction with the fact that that we didn't want any coffee or tea (we pointed out that there were no cups (for juice) left, he returned with coffee mugs which we politely declined: obviously a simple mix-up, so why did he respond by huffing and puffing?). Another incident that sticks in the memory is when we left our key in the room once, meaning that I had to ask a cleaner (not Mohammed) to let me in. He told me that he didn't have a key and that I should ask someone else. That someone else then sent me back to the original guy who in fact had a key all along and ultimately ended up letting me in. Pure laziness on his part and very disappointing.

3. In summary

As you'll have gathered from the above, this is a hotel with problems. I did attempt to raise all of the above when on the phone with reception once and was given short thrift. Despite this I fully anticipate the management to reply to this saying that they're disappointed that I didn't speak with senior management at the time, but what would the point have been? The problems identified above are systemic and large scale, are they really going to suggest that they would have changed such fundamental things within a massive hotel following on from a discussion with me? More to the point, shouldn't management be proactive in any case, getting the hotel up to the standard its 4* rating implies BEFORE people have cause for complaint? I suspect that as long as the money keeps rolling in there is no real incentive to do this.

Even after all of the above, we did enjoy ourselves (the Red Sea is incredible, whilst quad biking in the desert is also really good). But our enjoyment came despite the hotel, not because of it. We won't return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeff200
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We were a group of 25 persons (12 adults and 13 kids) and we reserved 6 rooms in Hilton Sharks Bay in the period between 1/7 – 5/7.
I am sorry to say that the unfriendly attitude of All Hilton staff members (in specific the waiters) created a negative atmosphere throughout the whole trip.
In the following I would like to share with you some incidents that we experienced during our stay in the above mentioned period:
1) One of my group members asked the chef during breakfast to prepare her three different types of eggs and he totally ignored her request. She waited for a second waiter and when she started telling him what she wants he asked her to speak fast because he didn’t have time!
2) Another incident happened in the sunset bar, when she sat with her kids at one of the tables and when she called for the waiter he told her wait until I serve the other guests and he really questioned how she wants to order once she sits on the table!!
3) After dinner we were sitting at the pool when my friend found his two twins daughters holding two huge chairs and when he asked them why, they told him the waiter asked us to take them inside the restaurant, and when he spoke to the waiter he wasn’t ashamed to declare that he wanted the two girls to help him sorting the place!!
4) When I was sitting at the pool I waited more than fifteen minutes for any staff member to open the sun umbrella for me and when one worker finally passed he refused to do it claiming that this is not his job. He even refused to go and call the responsible person and asked me to go in person to go and call someone to help me!!!
5) During dinner we were 5 persons sitting at the same table, when two of us ordered two diet cokes. After a while when the third person wanted to order a third one the waiter told her that he already brought two!!
6) In the Bedouin’s restaurant my friend’s son (10 years old) was eating a snack alone without his parents when the waiter held him from his T-shirt and hit him and asked him to leave the restaurant. When his father knew he was surely furious and asked for an explanation, the waiter said he was joking with the boy!!!
7) Throughout the trip whenever we enter a restaurant the staff made us feel as if we were a burden on the restaurant if we wanted to sit together, although we had full understanding that it needs time to be arranged and were ready to wait.

I am sorry to say that the marvelous ambience of the place and the plenty of activities that the hotel offered were totally damaged due to this bad yet aggressive attitude of the staff members.
It was an experience that none of us would want to repeat because we felt that the staff wasn’t welcoming us and they weren’t doing anything willingly.

Room Tip: Only rooms in the old site are with sea view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Tigoal
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am of course very sorry that you felt the attitude of staff were unfriendly, specifically the waiters. As promised at the time of our meeting I assured you that corrective action would be taken immediately and this was done.

I can only therefore once again apologize as this is not what Hilton Sharks Bay is renowned for.

I do hope that despite your negative feedback you will give us another chance in the future.

Thank you once again.