“not good not bad”

Cairo, Egypt
“not good not bad”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Here is my review:

The hotel is divided into two parts, the main building and the extension. The main building is adjacent to the sea and has the main restaurant and an Egyptian and Italian restaurants too, and an average size swimming pool. While the extension is across the street and has a very big swimming pool (3 connected pools to be honest) and one of the pools has artificial beach - just sand for the kids.

Location: Far from the center of Sharm but taxis are easily available in front of the hotel, and if you are going to a club that you bought its tickets from the animation team then you'll get a free ride.

Check in: was smooth and quick for me and my friends, but my brother and his wife had to wait THREE hours to get their room.

Rooms: rooms are generally nice but there are old rooms and new furnished rooms. Some rooms are at the third floor and there is no elevator so make sure you don't get such a room if you don't like taking the stairs.

Sea: The beach is rocky and very small and narrow.

Restaurants:
The main restaurant is very nice and food is good.
The Egyptian restaurant is horrible and has a weekly menu, so unless you're going to stay more than a week you will find the same menu every day.
The Italian restaurant, I haven't tried it.

Snacks: Just cheese and nothing but cheese.

Staff: Staff is the worst element in this hotel. They are rude and not welling to help at all. Once we were in the main restaurant and one of my friends asked the waiter to get him a cup of water but he told him "Go get it by yourself"!!!!

Generally the hotel itself as a place is good but certainly I'm not going again until there is a new management with highly trained staff. It is not what I've expected from Hilton.

Room Tip: room 1220 and 1224 are newly furnished but at the third floor. room 305 is not newly furnished but...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ahmed_AL
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday.

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding the restaurant and the staff and they have been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action and to ensure that these situations do not reoccur in the future.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.

I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as our team continually strives to improve the service to our guests.

Yours truly,

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at the Hilton over Easter as a group of 6 adults. All three rooms were comfortable, we stayed on the new side in room 9012 which was perfectly placed for the pool and Waves bar. The food was as expected from a buffet, breaskfast was the best. We also ate at the Asia restaurant, which was nice and the Italian which was not as nice. Only downside was the poor lighting outside the two bars on the new side, you were basically sitting in the dark. Please owners put some lighting in. Not much to do in the evening but this was fine as we went to Soho for a walk around after dinner or went to Narma Bay which is always interesting. Tip get the hotel bus if you want to go to Narma Bay, its costs 15 egyptian pounds one way, they will also pick you up, this is a lot safer than taking a chance with the local taxi's we had a couple of very near accidents.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff they cannot be faulted and were always happy and courteous.

Negative: Spa prices were expensive and seemed to change even for the same treatments, I would say more expensive than England.

We would definately stay again at this hotel and look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: Block 9000 was great and conveniently placed.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank juld38
Dear Sir and Madam,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests were satisfied with the facilities and service during their vacation and that you plan to return at some stage in the future.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was my second time visiting this hotel, my experience with the hotel which was 4 years ago was a lovely one and was looking forward to going back with my partner.
Unfortunately I was disappointed with the staff on this occasion, though they appear very friendly and helpful, Everything is done at a very slow pace. Most of my time was delayed waiting by the bar to get a drink because bar staff would prefer to chat with each over and didn’t pay any attention to the customers which slowed things down.

It was my partner’s birthday while we were there and I thought breakfast in bed was a good idea to arrange as a little surprise the morning of his birthday. It obviously wasn’t a regular request as I had to go through various people to sort this out. I eventually spoke with the food and beverage manager who was happy to help and took my order. Great! I was very pleased; I knew my partner would appreciate this gesture. I had arranged the breakfast for 9.30am and looking forward to waking up to the Breakfast at the door. We woke up with no breakfast... I had to ruin the surprise when it got to 10am as my partner was getting frustrated as to why I was delaying going to the pool! I called reception asking where the breakfast was. 10.15am the breakfast arrived. We didn’t receive the items that I pre ordered, just a mix of items from the buffet another 10minutes into eating the breakfast we had another knock on the door with a fruit salad.......

The cleaner was great and very entertaining with his various towel decorations into love hearts and swans etc. What let him down was when I returned from the pool to find a broken pair of Ray Ban sunglasses. They weren't broken before I left for the pool? Very annoyed to have lost a pair of £120 sunglasses.

The final and tipping point that motivated me to write this review!
The day before check out I had asked the receptionist if we could extend our checkout until 3pm. The receptionist said yes that’s fine. I then asked is there a charge for this which he said no. Great! I then wondered if I could extend this to 6pm. He said there is a £10 per hour charge after 3pm. Ok no problem we will check out at 3pm. Thank you very much!
It wasn’t until we checked out we were given a bill for the late check out? Hang on I thought it was free until 3pm? Apparently not.... I was furious and really not happy to pay this charge when I specifically spoke to the receptionist and he said it was free of charge until 3pm. After arguing with the receptionist who was giving me abuse saying that I was wrong, he then got the receptionist who promised the late check out for free. The particular individual was completely oblivious to what I was talking about and can’t even remember speaking with me. I was getting no where! The receptionist said he had spoken with his manager and they can discount the late check out. Discounting the charge wasn’t really the point. I don’t care about the charge it was more down to principle. I had to pay the charge and left very disappointed.

Don't expect great service if that’s important to you when selecting a hotel.

Room Tip: Pool view is nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mentalglenn
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests.

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding the birthday breakfast, the broken sun glass and late check out charges. All your comments have been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action and to ensure that these situations do not occur in the future.

We are of course sorry that you did not consider raising your concerns with the senior management team whilst here, who would have made every effort to address your concerns. We pride ourselves on our service levels and take feedback seriously in order that we can address any specific issues.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as we contently strive to improve the service to our guests.

Yours truly,

Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We choose the Hilton Sharks Bay for a weeks holiday in April as we know the hotel and find it easy to settle in quickly. On arrival we had to tell reception that we were return visitors in order to be given a white band. (a blue band is for first time visitors). We asked for a room around the pool with the bridge as we had been there before and really enjoyed the privacy of the pool and the position of it, being near to the sea and restuarants. When there was not one available we were upgraded for free to the new side. We were there 3 years ago when it was just being finished, so we thought we would give it a try, being told we could move back the following day if we wanted to. As the rooms were large and overlooking the pool, we decided to stay put.
The restuarant food can become a little monotonous and predictable but you could always find something to eat that would suit. Tried the Asian restaurant one night and really enjoyed the food although the service was slow.(Cost for two was 427 Egyptian pounds). After trying for two days to book a table at the Italian restuarant, we really enjoyed the food, but the atmosphere was very rushed and noisy.
The staff at Sharks Bay are all very friendly, helpful and pleasant, nothing is too much trouble. We enjoyed cocktails at the Q Club, but didn't bother with the Chill and Olimpic Bar as it was too noisy and more for families, but from what we saw the entertainment was there if you wanted it.
For a weeks chilling out, it was just what the doctor ordered, the only problem is the doctor also ordered antibiotics on our return as we both contracted a bug, which has left us very poorly and having to have days off work. We do not blame the hotel especially, but would like to warn other holidaymakers where ever you go, please take extra care of your personal hygiene when in heavily populated places. It only takes a few minutes to wash your hands properly.
Would we go back to Sharks Bay? YES definately.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JAH2003_12
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you in general enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable. We hope that you feel much better now.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 2 May 2012

A truly 4 stars hotel if we are talking about the new section.The food was okay, standard buffet food.Rooms were big and clean.Swimming pools were the bigests i ve ever seen and we could easily find sunbeds.Staf was ok though sometime receptionist were unwilling to help us.Wi fi connection was off through our whole stay ,which was very inconvinient.Beach ,was not really a beach, was small and u could not swim just snorkel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review.