“Great Hotel, rude staff”

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Cairo, Egypt
“Great Hotel, rude staff”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I read a lot of reviews before going to the hotel and some of them commented about the attitude of the staff. I thought these people were arrogant and hard to please, until I visited the hotel myself.

I went there with two friends for a 3 night stay on the beginning of May 2012. I have visited many hotels before all over Egypt in many cities including Hurghada itself, and for the first time in my travels, I was forced to sign a dress code (before getting our room keys or even having our welcome drink). The dress code insists that you should not attend diner without your shoes (wearing slippers or sandals). I agree that the hotel is trying to pertain its image by such rules, but first of all, this is a beach club not a city restaurant and people do not wear shoes to the beach and secondly this is a place where I pay money to have fun and I have never felt worse than when the restaurant receptionist gave me and my friends "the stare" for not being prepared with shoes for our stay (at the beach club).

Other than that (and also the fact that our room was only cleaned once in our 3 night stay since house keeping always insisted on cleaning the room at 17:00 ~ 18:00 which is also a new experience for me), the food quality is excellent, the pool is huge and very good, the hotel architecture (as all other Steigenberger hotels I visited) is fantastic and there are many beach activities although they are a bit pricey.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay (everywhere except the restaurant), but may think twice before going there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Midoalagib
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Just had a fantastic holiday staff 5 star, food reasonable. Will recommend this this hotel.When booking make sure you block your in has a balcony worth the extra. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank maureen d
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

I was always recommending this hotel to all friends, till my first stay, it was all going although I signed a strange dress code regulation of dinner, um a frequent traveler and diver so I always travel light, sometimes with flip flops only, starving and heading to have dinner, we were intercepted by a poker face dinner receptionist who was not even smiling at us confirming the strange rule above, I was intimidated because I really have no shoes but a flip flop, the point is, why are we told on spot about this strange types of rules, in here, shoeless means dinner less , so make sure you wear a decent pair of shoes or you will be deprived from ur dinner.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Ahegazi
Cairo
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was my 3rd and not the last visit to this Hotel, the services is amazing, food variety is ver , good, you can relax & have a very active vacation with the family too. the SPA is a real haven and i must mention that the kids area and baby sitter service is just so good. highly recommended

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We had chosen the hotel because of the very good reviews here and were totally happy with our choice! The hotel premises are huge and very well kept. We stayed with our 8yr old daughter in an Elite room which offered beautiful views to the sea and the golf course. It was very spacious with a big balcony. The food was very good although we were a bit disappointed with the highly recommended French restaurant Alexander which we would not consider a must do. The pool area was a dream and we still miss the lazy river. There is not much to see for snorkelers in the red sea in the hotel beach area, however, the boattrips with the diving center were brilliant and we enjoyed snorkeling and diving very much. The staff in the hotel were always friendly and very attentive and I can totally recommend this place if you need to switch off for a while in a relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family