“Do you want to starve on your holiday??”

Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort
Ranked #121 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I came back from this hotel on friday 18/7/14 after a 1 week stay and can honestly say I have never been offered or TRIED to eat such appalling food in my life !.The restaurant looks inviting, you walk towards the line of hot food containers....i seem to recall there are only 7 of them...you open the 1st to find rice, not bad, different flavours every day. You open the 2nd,,,sauteed vegetables....nice, apart from these will be the exact same selection you will be offered every day.Carrots,shredded cabbage,aubergines,The 3rd container will be the ONE offering of meat you can choose from that mealtime. It may be hot dog sausages,chicken (or lets be precise ) chicken carcasses, or other meat that quite frankly I wouldnt give to my dog. The 4th container will be something they call the oriental corner....usually a concoction containing the leftover meat from the day before and all the leftover veg (as above )...there is nothing even vaguely oriental about it....as you queue up thinking the line has stopped as everyone in front of you is overwhelmed and cant choose what to eat you realise after day 1 that the queue has stopped as there is nothing else to pick and people are just standing there holding empty plates and wondering what to do.....then they spot the soup and salad from across the room....stampeed !!! dont bother, the soup will be cold or at best warm,the salad is boring,uninteresting and you could build a wall with the chunks of cucumber and tomato and as for salad dressing...?.This brings to me to fruit....do you like chunks of orange that were there for 3 days and are bereft of any juice?...Do you like 1 grape ? do you like 1 melon once a week to share with all the other guests, do you like a banana about once a week?...hope so , because thats what you have the chance of getting.....in the whole week I found just 4 meals that were edible.Breakfast was usually jam on toast although there are pancakes for those with a sweet tooth.There was one cereal,usually little corn balls.There was the usual croissants etc.There were hard boiled eggs compete with green rings inside.I asked for a fried egg and on day 3 had that on toast......beats having mashed potatoe for breakfast ! I kid you not,thats whats in 5th hot food container at EVERY meal. In the morning you have the choice of 2 kinds of eggs,the hard boiled or the scrambled....well the scrambled egg with the consistency of gravy....wibble, wobble...it moved in waves...or be really hard faced and get a fried one.
I cannot put into words how bad this food really was. Im not fussy and have eaten cuisine from all over the world and will try anything but this was beyond words....children of all nationalities were crying to mummy that they were hungry.Adults were taking plates of food and then leaving it all.I made my disgust known to the restaurant manager on morning 4 and he called his boss.On morning 5 the manager of the whole chain of the hotel came to see me. We had an interesting "chat " for nearly an hour.I made many suggestions including a kids selection that appeals to all kids and doesnt contain aubergines,cabbage or offal....i suggested a better selection of cereal eg; muesli, oats to add hot milk to,cornflakes...all simple stuff.I suggested they keep the mashed potato away at breakfast. I suggested a wider and more plentiful fruit selection eg;strawberries,apples, pears,bananas,melon,all to be served fresh to choose rather than in a fruit cocktail. He listened and said he would make improvements immediately.The next day oats appeared and the oranges were whole ones !! woopidoo

Room Tip: try to get in block 9.larger rooms..better bathrooms...quite spacious even with a double and single...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank julieanddavidWigan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights/5 days at festival shedwan, please notice that there is festival shedwan and there is smart line hotel, both are in the same hotel. Smart line is better but also not very good for a vacation. At shedwan, you can have the worst food ever, I barely find something to eat at the restaurant. The stuff were friendly but the animation people were very rude and unqualified. There is only one club there and it is not free you have to buy a ticket and it is not worth it. But actually, its fair for what you pay. It is really really cheap.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank MostafaHamouda
Festival-shedwan, Manager at Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear MostafaHamouda!

Thank you that you found time to post your review about your holidays.
Kindly be informed that we provide international buffet in both hotels according our guests structure. Any how every meal our guests can choose dishes from oriental corner and once per week we have oriental theme night.
Also if the guests have special wish or request about the food they have possibility to contact with our Ex Chef directly.
Best regards, management Festival Shedwan Golden Beach.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Large enough grounds beautiful . Several beaches . Rooms for all tastes - bungalow storey housing. All windows look out over the park and the sea. I advise you to better yourself in settlement talk to the administrator - he will advise you and pick a room for you ! The room we got a light, airy , with a large balcony, comfortable furnishings, and excellent service ! We visited a large company - four families with children .. And all the friends enjoyed it, there was no room or dissatisfied service. The entire staff understands and speaks in Russian . Loved the spacious and clean beach (which is very rare !) , Where you can always find a place ! Set of flowers and greenery , cozy rooms . Everything is just wonderful . Food very good level! And the drinks and the food is very good quality and pleasant to use ! Very tasty cooked fish and meat. For children there is a choice ( and there are dishes made ​​from milk ) . Delicious cakes, pastries and cakes is great ! Polite , friendly and attentive staff at the restaurant - thanks to them ! Great animation team never did give bored! They are every day sports heals and raise everyone's spirits on shows. Thank you guys !
We are just delighted with the unexpectedly positive emotions , though seemingly drove in three star hotel, it comes to the level of four-plus ! We loved , and we now advise BEM ! We are grateful to the hotel from all of us . Come again and must be mentioned to you !

Room Tip: - in case number 5 rooms for families better; - Rooms are closer to the sea and have morning fresh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank svetlan4ik_k
Festival-shedwan, Manager at Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Festival Shedwan Golden Beach for your vocation. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our endeavor to ensure that all our guests who pass through our doors have a comfortable stay and carry back fond memories. We are thrilled that we achieved the same with your stay. We look forward to your next stay.
Best regards, management Festival Shedwan Golden Beach

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Food was rubbish,cold, everyday same food over and over again, no taste, flies everywhere, room is dirty, dirty sheets pillow cases, hotel name even changed to something else when we reached there we found out it was now called smart line. Can't get out of hotel because road works going on so could get run over. Reception staff (ali) is rude and has no smile or welcome guest should get sacked or made the cleaner even the cleaners were more help then him. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to even go to this hotel. However bar man Mohammed is a great guy who always welcomed us n always had a smile boat tour man Osama Ahmed was the best thing about this terrible holiday him and his team provided a great service great food and enjoyed the boat trip if anyone does end up in this hotel by mistake do go to boat trip with Osama his a great guy he should be in charge of that hotel he knows how to make customers n guest happy n have a good time

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Hejsiebek
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Wished I had spent more money on a better hotel, it says it was four stars but don't believe it....I'm being nice by giving it two.
Stays at hotel ibis or motel one are cleaner and better.
I had to reread all the reviews on here I still can believe that it is the same hotel we stayed at.
It is a shame there is no category just for food and drink. There would be no stars given.
Possibly the worst ever.
No variety and badly cooked with no flavour. It was not just me , almost everyone was complaining... 2 lovely Dutch ladies even brought mayonnaise to every meal because the chicken was so dry.
The outside of the hotel was a construction site...
Waiters were rude and ignored me on a regular basis , I went two mornings with no coffee.
The pool was nice and the rooms were ok.
However the soap dispenser fell off in my hand and they cleaned the room but didn't leave any toilet paper.
Drinks were served in whatever glass or cup was on hand , I got wine in a tumbler and people got beer in wine glasses.....and twice there was remnants of other alcohol in there.
The beach was beautiful but soooo badly kept. Rubbish everywhere and one sunbed was smeared in bird feces.
A mother and daughter checked in and went to their room and there was actual excrement in their bed that the staff had made....NOT acceptable..

We enjoyed are selves because we chose to not let the bad hotel and service get us down, I couldn't wait to get back to Germany just to get real food.

Stayed: March 2014