“Great Choice!”

The Concord Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Concord Suites for the first time this summer because of our daughter's dance competition, which was held in Wildwood. We wanted to stay in a clean, spacious hotel that was near Wildwood, but in a town that had a beautiful beach and not as busy as Wildwood. A friend recommended the town of Avalon, which is just stunning from the beach to the beautiful homes throughout the entire town. We did some research on hotels in Avalon and decided to stay at the Concord Suites, which far exceeded our every expectation. We will return to the Concord Suites next summer and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I have been vacationing in Avalon for many years. I recently traveled to Avalon with three teenage boys. I always use Trip Advisor to help me select hotels, restaurants, etc... Since The Concord Suites were rated #1, I figured that would be a good place to stay. It was almost perfect. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
- hotel property & rooms are extremely clean, surprisingly so for a beach hotel
- rooms are spacious and decorated very nicely
- lots of storage room in the bedroom and kitchen
- kitchen was amazing, probably more cabinets than my kitchen at home!!! Lots of helpful ammenities such as a toaster, pots & pans, utensils, dishware; suggestion: full size coffee pot & a pitcher would be helpful
- separate cans for trash and recyclables,
- DVD's available in the main office
- clean pools, pool toys available; suggestion: keep the pools open until 10pm, many families are just getting back from dinner and such around 8pm and would love to take a dip in the pool, especially since the temperatures have cooled down
- good location, beach is across the street
- A/C was awesome, never had any issues with temperature, especially impressive since it was HOT, HOT, HOT during our stay
- queen size beds in the bedroom were great, as opposed to the typical full size
- laundry facility on site with change available in the main office; suggestion, post the approximate times for the washer & dryer to save one multiple trips checking to see if their loads were done ($1.75 per load for the washer as well as the dryer)

Cons
- pullout couch was EXTREMELY uncomfortable (see narrative below)
- no ramp to the parking lot area which made it difficult when using the luggage cart and beach coolers
- parking spots very narrow, not very accomodating for SUV's (note: I was told a few days after check in that there was another parking area around the corner for SUV's - not convenient nor was I informed when I checked in and they asked for the make of my vehicle)
- no area to dry bathing suits & towels in the bathroom; suggestion: a clothesline in the shower, drying racks, hooks in the shower, etc...
- location is a bit far from the "main drag" - a little too far to ride bikes
- WiFii is not very good; I was only able to access the internet twice
- they charge for ice; less expensive to buy a bag at Wawa

Overall, I really liked this hotel. As the mother of a baseball player, we travel around a lot for tournaments and have stayed in many hotels. Also, as a beach lover, I try to get to the shore every summer. Last year we stayed at the Days Inn in Wildwood and the room was just ok in comparison. I was very impressed with how clean this hotel was as well as our rooms. Cindy, our cleaning lady, is amazing. Each day we would return to an immaculate room, completely free of sand - that's impressive. The Concord Suites, overall, is probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in, especially a beach hotel. However, my stay was only ALMOST perfect.

My issue is with the pullout bed as well as the poor customer service associated with this situation. We arrived on a Sunday and I spent about an hour trying to get comfortable on the bed. Finally, I gave up and called down to the main office. I explained the situation. I also explained that I did not expect a pullout to be as comfortable as a regular bed. I have slept in many pullout beds and usually I am able to do something to make it more comfortable (such as putting a towel between the bar and the mattress). But there was nothing I could do to make this mattress more comfortable. There were bumps and slopes and I just could not get comfortable. I asked if they had another mattress, an egg crate, or a rollaway bed. They said they did not have any of those things and suggested I sleep in the bedroom. I explained there were three teenage boys in the bedroom and it would be awkward and inappropriate for me to sleep in there. So they suggested I sleep on the couch. I asked that they make a note of my complaint so that someone would help me in the morning. I was very disappointed and frustrated by their unsympathetic attitude. Night #1 sleeping on the couch.

The next day, I did not hear from anyone before we left for the beach around 10:30am. I returned about an hour later to get something for one of the boys and Cindy was in my room cleaning. She told me that someone did come up and look at the mattress and they said it looked good. She also told me it wasn't that old. I told her that old/new is relative with hotel furnishings since the wear and tear is different from normal use. I actually pulled out the bed and asked her to lay on it. She didn't really want to, but she did, and she was able to feel the awkward shape of the mattress. Cindy said she would bring me two additional blankets to help even out the mattress. I tried it that night but it didn't help. Night #2 on the couch.

The next morning I went to speak with someone in the main office. They said that the mattress was fairly new and no one else had ever complained before. They suggested that I sleep in the bedroom. Again, I explained that there were three teenage boys in there and it wasn't an option. Again, I was directed to sleep on the couch. Night #3 on the couch.

I am unhappy not only with the condition of the pullout mattress, but also by the insensitive and unhelpful attitude by the staff. I feel that I paid a significant amount of money to stay at a finer hotel, only to have slept on the couch for 3 nights. For the money I spent on this room, I do not feel I should have had to sleep on the couch ($249 per night + $15 per extra person = $279 per night), I would have expected a better mattress and better service. When you stay at a lower end hotel, you aren't surprised or disappointed by less than great ammenities.

When I checked out Wednesday morning, I actually expected the general manager to come speak with me. No. I thought perhaps the woman at the front desk would inquire about my stay. No. Surely she would leave me with her wish that I return to the Concord Suites and come visit them again. No. I left the Concord Suites feeling like I didn't matter, I was just another person who rented their rooms.

This makes me recall another review. They basically said that the Concord Suites were a great place to stay unless you have a problem. That is exactly how I feel. The accomodations were very clean and very nice. However, no one seemed to really care that I had an uncomfortable place to sleep. I think it is sad that a hotel encourages their guests to sleep on the couch.

I don't really care if the mattress is practically new. I don't really care that no one else has ever complained about it before. What i do care about is the fact that I paid for something I did not receive, a mattress to sleep on. I care about how poorly I was treated. I care about the fact that I did not get a good nights sleep the entire time I stayed at the Concord Suites.

I plan on returning to Avalon in the fall for the Seafood Festival, and again next summer. Although I really did like the Concord Suites very much, I don't know if I will stay here again. There are other options literally next door and across the street.

I would recommend this hotel to people with CAUTION. As stated earlier, it's a great place to stay unless you have a problem.

Room Tip: WiFii not very good on the western side; families with children should request to stay on the first...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank katy0970
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Concord Suites. This place is WONDERFUL. We have been staying at the Concord for almost 20 years and we will never stay anywhere else in Avalon. The entire property is spotless. Rooms are exceptionally clean -- the cleanest we've ever seen and we travel a lot. We always stay on the 2nd floor in the section that is assigned to Sue, the best housekeeper ever. She always goes out of her way to make our stay very comfortable and we appreciate her kindness. We especially like the high standards the Concord adheres to. No loud noise, partying or smoking is allowed and public areas are clean and safe. Hotel is one block to the beach. 2 queen size beds are very comfortable. Ample storage space. Suites are large and are perfect for 2 adults for long stays. Nice kitchenette and bath. 2 large pools. Bike racks. Daily newspapers available. Eco-friendly. Onsite parking. Casual restaurant/bar onsite. Can't say enough good things about the Concord. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paa9
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The rooms were clean. The people working there were very nice. The whole motel was clean. The restaurant was OK and I would give it a 3. We plan to be back. Avalon is a very nice town and beaches.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dlennp
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After spending lots of time on the Jersey Shore, being Jersey natives, getting away to Avalon is getting to the REAL Jersey Shore. Charming, clean, unspoiled beaches, safe, and family friendly. Low key, quiet. Enough to do if you want to be busy, but not touristy or in your face. After settling on Avalon as our go to beach town, there was no question we were staying at the Concord.
First off, the Concord was perfectly clean. For a beach hotel that caters to families this is a feat in itself! I don't know how they manage to maintain it so well. Bravo!
We had a King 1 bedroom suite with mini kitchenette. With 2 small children it was nice to have our own bedroom which was a nice size. The sofa bed was well made and great for our 5 year old.
It had a small but functional bathroom. Just enough space for our family of 4. The kitchen suited our needs perfectly. Fridge that kept things cool and good freezer. Small range and sink. There were a couple small groceries nearby where we bought things to make our breakfast and snacks in room each day. Great thermostat and a/c level.
Checkin was very helpful. Easy process. We tried the on site restaurant and were happy with the food.
The hotel was one block from the beach. If you lean out the balcony you can see it. We had a 5 year old, a 1 year old, 2 beach chairs, umbrella, cooler and toys-and we handled the walk just fine. It was not exhausting. Yes a hotel right on the beach would be nice, but I did not see one that looked like it could compare with the Concord.
2 very large, nice size pools. Plenty of pool chairs and patio space. Never saw it so crowded that there wasn't room to lounge.
At $250 approx for a king suite...you cannot go wrong! Skip Cape May's $350-400 per night for a comparable sized room, and come to the Concord in Avalon. A real Jersey family beach experience.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floors only. The ground level floor may be too much traffic...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KerryScarlett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
0.2 km away
0.1 km away
Desert Sand Resort
Desert Sand Resort
#5 of 5 in Avalon

Been to The Concord Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK