“A trip of two halves.”

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private tours in Manta Ecuador
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our tour started out very very well with the visits to the fish market on the beach and the boat building on the beach. This was terrific, busy bustling noisy, so many strange fish. Only the tuna was recognizable. The boat yard next door, where huge lumps of wood were being cut with a chain saw. No protective clothing or health and safety here. My problem with the tour was when we went for a walk in the forest to see the monkeys etc. The terrain was far too challenging for the age group of the trip. There were many steps down to the bottom of a ravine, and at the bottom a small stream which you had to follow.By the time you got to the bottom you were past the point of return, too many steps back up again. The terrain was far too slippery, proper walking boots and even poles were needed to keep upright. There were two falls, one being me. I hate to think what would have happened if I had broken a leg or hip. The extraction would have been a nightmare. Our guide Dennis was very helpful and the resident local guide also. However consideration was not given to the age of the group. If everyone had known what was ahead I'm sure half the group would not have started. On the whole the tour was good and interesting, but the organizers must judge the age of their group before attempting this part of the trip.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"wear sturdy shoes"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked this private tour for our canal of Panama cruise. Manta is not a spectacular city but our tour with Jonathan was. We went to the fish market, then to a city museum then to Montecristi museum and store tour. We then had a splendid lunch. Jonathan made sure everybody had a splendid time, he knew all about each places and spoke a perfect English. I would never have stop on my own to the restaurant he took us to but the food was wonderful (tuna of course).

1  Thank Louise D
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We(Three of us) organised a trip with Fernando in January. He met us inside the port gates and we had a comfortable drive to the fish market. Best fish market I have seen and so clean. Fernando was an excellent guide speaking clear, excellent English. He had no problem answering all our questions and was obviously well liked by the locals. We then went to see the boat building. So interesting. Fernando again provided just the right amount of guidance. He adapted the pace of the walking to suit my husband who can't walk too quickly.
We then had a lovely safe ride to the museum by Montecristo. Fernando became our personal guide in the museum and he was so proud of his country. Again very knowledgeable with the right amount of information. We then had some time off to do a bit of souvenir hunting (our choice)
We then went to Montecristi. Lovely place but very touristy as you would expect. Beautiful looking church in the marketplace and a lovely little market. Fernando assisted me with the buying of football shirts for my grandsons and a belt for my son. We found a lovely jewellery stall on the way back and bought some beautiful pieces made from a nut.
There are lots of places to see hats being made and plenty of places to buy them depending on what quality you want. We bumped into people on a ship excursion who had paid nearly twice as much as us just for a trip to Montercristo.
We then set off to Fernando's home. We had arranged lunch with a local family and we're lucky to be able to go to his home.
What a lovely family and beautiful meal. Fresh tuna salad. Far too much for a lunch time. Fernando made coffee for us as he had just opened a little coffee shop.
I felt very safe with Fernando and was amazed at how developed Manta was. Not what I was expecting after reading information on the Internet.
I would recommend a tour with Manta SOS to anyone. Fernando and his sister always replied to our emails and questions as quickly as they could.
Thank you Fernando and I hope your business grows and grows.

1  Thank gwynethAnglesey
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Manta sos put a tour together for us very last minute. Fernando was excellent and gave us a lot of history about Ecuador which is really interesting. Also recommended a wonderful restaurant for lunch.