With what I paid as a solo traveler in the Galapagos (A LOT!) and to get the room I got at this hotel was INEXCUSABLE! I'm not sure if it's the Agency's fault or the hotel's but suffice to say, nope nope nope nope nope!!! I've stayed in rooms like the one I got at Opuntia that cost...oh...$15 OR LESS in so many other countries in South America where I traveled when I was a student! I don't care that this is the Galapagos and "special". This hotel and it's "pool side rooms" leave A LOT to be desired. Peeling paint, mildew, no chairs in the room to sit on, flimsy curtain with a view out back that is unattractive, a bathroom with a broken shower head, uncomfortable mattress etc. etc. The hotel staff are friendly and the view from the breakfast area is lovely (it's of the marina). But....that's it! The breakfast I found awfully lacking as well. Nothing special! I mentioned the crappy room I was given to the Agency head that organized my Galapagos trip and am now I'm on a different island in the best suite in one of the top hotels. Why this didn't happen in San Cristobal I do not know. But sadly, I can not/NOT recommend Opuntia Hotel. Even the swimming pool was dirty when I thought about swimming in it one morning....there apppeared to be bird poop floating all over the surface of the water. Even the breakfast area with the lovely view has a peculiar odor (probably sea lion urine) and the tables/chairs are not comfortable (hard heavy wood chairs...how difficult would it be to put cushions on them to make it more comfortable?) All in all, not a recommendable place to stay. I'm sure there are far nicer hotels on the island of San Cristobal where one can get much better value. Be warned that if you stay rather diasappointing hotel, do not/NOT get the poolside rooms! Maybe the ocean view rooms are better? Good luck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The legendary Casa Opuntia is our landmark hotel in San Cristobal Island. We offer 13 comfort class rooms, some with ocean front balconies, as well as a common seating and lounging area overlooking the boardwalk. You are only a few meters away from Playa de Oro Beach and from the small, lazy port town of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. Take a refreshing dip in our small, fresh-water swimming pool while you enjoy a cocktail before sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Casa Opuntia Galapagos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Opuntia Galapagos Hotel Puerto Baquerizo Moreno
- Casa Opuntia Galapagos Galapagos Islands/Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, San Cristobal