“Not the best place to stay in Atlantic City”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
New Jersey
“Not the best place to stay in Atlantic City”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I travel often to Atlantic City and stayed at Tropicana this year for a conference. While accomodations were sufficient, the room was dated. I was given a Havana Tower room and was not impressed. I couldn't believe that they actually charge extra for this tower! I will note, however, that the property amentities are very nice at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Havana Tower
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank WHVikki
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
latrobe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

As a group of 8 friends, we go to AC once or twice a year and have tried different casino hotels each time, and this was by far the WORST. We had adjoining rooms on the 62 floor in the Havana Tower. Both people who rented the rooms had free stays as comps. First, when we got off the bus, the signs to the lobby are nonexistant, with no one around to help, so we ended up tredging through the casino in search for the lobby, which took forever. We finally found the lobby and when my friends checked in for their two free nights, already reserved, the man was rude and tried to charge my friend for her second night, which thank goodness she had her offer clearing stating the second night was free as well. So once that was settled, we went to our rooms. The casino was nice, HUGE, very confusing to remember where you are. We had to walk through the Quarter which is a mall of shops, nice shops, but to have to walk through them everytime to go to your room was really a hike. The elevators were old, shaky, HOT and muggy, and smelled. I was nauseated even before getting off the elevator. Then the rooms.. oh my.. it has been maybe 35 years since something was changined. faded, cream wallpapers with some sort of yellow print, DIRTY, stained, smelly carpet, beds that are hard as a rock, OLD furniture. No vanity in the bedroom, so to do your hair or makeup, you sit on the dirty floor infront of a mirror. No drawers to put anything. Old tv in a armoire that had no doors. our friends had a pineapple lamp (should of took a picture, it was classic) that had been broken in half and glued back together, completely lopsided! The coffee maker was in the bathroom. The curtains and drapes were just hideous. We tried to call the front desk around 11 at night to figure out how to connect to the wi fi, but noone answered after 10 minutes, so we gave up. I would not have paided five dollars to stay in this room. The outdoor pool was closed (it was in the mid eighties, ninties all week and this is after memorial day, so really?) the indoor pool.. omg.. a joke! I would rather swim in a pond filled with geese poop then even stick my pinkie toe in that disqusting waste of a word "pool".. anyways.. the casino was nice, don't expect a drink though because the drink girls are nonexistant. We did flag one down, placed an order, and an hour later when she never returned, we moved along elsewhere. There is a nice varitey of places to eat, Hooters, PF changs, Starbucks, which is good because their buffet wasn't open until Friday (so nice and convienent seeing we were there tuesday, wednesday and thursday..) So I may come back to play in the casino or eat, but honestly, that is even doubtful. Ceasers was better, and Harrahs was awesome, so we definitely have crossed Tropicana off our list.

Room Tip: Havana Tower is very far away from the casino and sadly stinky and outdated
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Becky M
TropicanaAC, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the Tropicana.

We are sorry to hear that you and your group did not have a pleasant stay with us

Please allow me to apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience you experienced. We are committed to excellent service and offering our guests an exceptional room product experience.

I have passed your comments onto our Senior Management Team for their review.

Great things are planned for the future at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. We are very excited to announce plans for a 25 million dollar renovation project here at the Tropicana. A major part of the project is the complete renovation of the 437 rooms and suites in our North Tower. The construction will begin in early Fall with a completion date of December 2012.

We hope that you give us the opportunity to host you the next time you visit AC.

Sincerely, David B.

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

larksville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have stayed in this hotel one day last year with my son, what had happened I was running really late so I called 2x just to be safe that they wouldn't give my room up. They assured me over the phone all was good, be safe and a room was going to be available when I arrived. When we arrived we were given a suite, spiral stair case, master bedroom with king size bed, bathroom had jacuzzi for eight people I can't even explain how we felt, you just needed to experience this yourself. Now what happened this week 5/29/12. When I called for reservation I asked customer service what did the towers all look like and if she was booking where she would stay.She said the Havana Tower, so that's where we booked for 2 days. However The first day the hallways on our flr smelled like someone was acually (smoking pot), my son even looked at me and said mom someone is having a party. We arrived in the room 65(?) which smelled like mildew the bedding was old, one sheet, one really thin blanket, two small flat pillows, Tv was not a flat screen, carpet stained, and around edges of the floor it needed to be vacumed. After putting the air on it was alittle better so we unpacked. Later when I came back into the room to shower the shower head was I don't know something was growing out of it it almost made me sick to my stomache. I twisted and turned all night laying in that hard bed with the smell. so in the morning I told them at the front desk which the gentleman was very nice an moved us to South Tower 9th flr It was less walking,it was a clean smelling rm, flat screen tv, a nice bathroom, better linens. It was CLEAN and no other problems. We are happy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank parkerLarksville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Sime friends and i booked this hotel due to last minute planning. For $269/ night I thought it would be a descent place to stay. Hotel lobby nice, convenient stores for shopping, Customer service lacked at the front desk, however bell service was excellent. Then we get to this shabby suite!! WTH... I must admit clean until I started seeing nasty spots on the curtains, furniture very out dated.. Yuck!!! Vending machines didn't work, I had to go 2 flrs up. Waiting for the elevator to arrive to ur floor took 10 mins. Wall paper was peeling and ceiling paint crackn.. Better off at a motel

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Eeerie
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience during your stay with us

First of all, please allow me to apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience you experienced. We are committed to excellent service and offering our guests an exceptional room product experience.

I have passed your comments onto our Senior Management Team for their review.

Sincerely, David B.
Centereach, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We were at the Trop this past Memorial Day weekend and once again had a great time. Loved dinner at Fin's the first night and dinner the second night at Carmine's. I had a great time playing some of my favorite slots winning the first day as I usually do but putting it all back the next! My room in the south tower was clean and comfortable. This is my favorite place to stay. My host Marvin is the best and I would have loved to thank him personally but did not seem him on this last trip to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple