“Good price friendly service but outdated rooms”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Boston, Mass
“Good price friendly service but outdated rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

PROS: Food choices good, Service good, on the ocean, easy to navigate
CONS: area seedy, rooms tired
If u want an inexpensive room in a smaller venue not a bad choice

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank JanebytheSea
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Tropicana Casino Hotel in Atlantic City on 04/21/12 and the room was very outdated. When I first got there I had a hard time finding the elavators that go to the rooms and wound up on the elavators that take you to the parking garage. Trying to find a staff memeber that is willling to help you is almost impossible. I finally found some guy with a Tropicana shirt on and he told me he worked there but he was totally wasted. The only good thing about my stay was eating at Carmines. The food was excellent!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank GlennW13
TropicanaAC, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share about you experience at the Tropicana.

We are delighted to here that you enjoyed your meal at Carmine's. It truly is a legendary restaurant

Please except my apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment you experienced with our service or room product. Our goal is to make each of our guests experience an exceptional one

I have passed your comments on to our Senior Management Team for their review.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you the next time your travel plans call for an AC visit.

Sincerely, David B.

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Dingmans Ferry, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Just spent 3 very nice days at the Trop - and even came home with a wee bit of extra cash! (we only play slots).
ROOM: When we checked in, they had a king room ready for us in the Havana Tower (all non smoking) with a great view. The room was IMMACULATE - right down to the floor corners - bathroom included. The ventilation/heat system has a fan that stays on all the time if you set it to that - none of this on/off crap when it reaches temp - that drives me crazy at most hotels! The furniture was pretty worn, clean but beat up - old TV - but I didn't come here to watch TV. Another petty complaint - no fan in the bathroom. Room had a safe, iron & ironing board, mini fridge, 2 phones, clock, coffee maker and hair dryer.
CASINO: Very hard to find your way around, very poor signage but after 2 days we finally got our bearings. North Tower, South Tower, West Tower, Havana Tower, The Quarter - arrgghh! Plus wherever they had maps, they didn't pin point "you are here" (at least that we could find) making them almost useless! To make up for that, I must say that the employees are EXTREMELY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL - EVERYONE! Clearly marked smoking and non smoking areas - but you can also tell with your nose :-).
RESTAURANTS: They only have certain ones open on certain days. You can tell they're trying to save money but because of this we couldn't get reservations to any of the upscale ones on our 2nd night - all booked the day before! We didn't know this would happen so that morning were sorely disappointed (wanted to eat at the highly rated "Fin"). Book your reservations well ahead of time if you can! Check my other reviews for the individual restaurants that we did eat at.
SHOWS: We were comped tickets to Stephen Sorrentino's "Voices in My Head Show" when we checked in - very pleased because of reading good reviews - YES YES YES - A GREAT SHOW! And I've seen a lot of shows on Broadway, off Broadway, other casinos, other theaters. It's a very unusual show - hard to explain but if you like music (all kinds) you will love this energetic funny superbly talented guy.
BOTTOM LINE: We'll be back - a little taste of Vegas without the plane fare - plus the fun of the Boardwalk and the beach. Just be sure to check for other restaurant options in the area :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Havana Tower - It's all non-smoking and has great views - plus our room wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank twstrchk007
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I've stayed at Tropicana a few times over the years and have generally always had a good time. My last stay in September was no exception. This was a girls trip, and I got an internet rate of $79 with a $20 food/beverage credit. For that price (split between 2 people), I really have nothing to complain about.

I will try to comment on some things that stood out. No complaints, just stuff to be aware of.

Valet parking takes FOREVER. Be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait some more. Give yourself plenty of time.

The pool is SMALL. Since we were there in early September, it was still open, so we thought we'd soak up some sun and relax for a few hours...not possible. It is TINY, and shoulder to shoulder with kids of all ages. Food there is mediocre at best, and overpriced.

Rooms in the wing where we stayed are dated, but ours was very clean and beds were really comfy. Bathroom was huge with plenty of vanity space for 2 ladies.

The location is great...SO many dining choices with happy hour specials right on the boardwalk.

If you don't want to leave the hotel, there are SO many in-house choices. LOVE that there is a Starbucks right there. We really liked the French Quarter, and our meal at Cuba Libre was very good. Also really enjoyed using our $20 voucher at Fin, where it was "Prohibition Thursday". Half price drinks + voucher = amazing value. I had one of the best Manhattans I've ever had, made by a wonderful bartender (wish I could remember his name...) who actually knew to ask if I wanted it sweet, dry, or perfect!

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. If you know what to expect, and you can nab a great rate, you'll have a wonderful time. For the price we paid, it was like going out to a nice dinner with a bonus hotel room to stay in.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lschmitty
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have stayed at the Trop several times and it's been an enjoyable stay each time. I have stayed in the West and South tower and both rooms were very spacious, especially when it came to the large and comfortable beds. The South tower room was more modern looking than it's counterpart in the West Tower and it also had a nicer bathroom, but overall both rooms were great.

I haven't stayed at other hotels in AC, I've visited quite a few, and based on my experience and impressions, the Trop is one of the best hotels in the area, and maybe the best one on the Boardwalk for what you get. The Quarter offers some terrific restaurants especially Red Square (great happy hour during the week!) and A Dam Good Sports Bar which has terrific beer specials and plenty of projection TVs for all the games on. I am not much of a gambler but the casino area is really lively, especially on the weekends.

One of the best parts of the Trop is that it's located at the very end of the Boardwalk, so you can spend a day walking the entire boardwalk and back. If you have nice weather, it's great. On the boardwalk, I recommend having lunch at the Irish Pub (which is one of the few original old-AC structures still in operation). The Outlet Walk is also a short (and safe) walk from the hotel as well.

My recommendation is, if you have the time off, stay at the Trop during the week. They regularly run specials for rooms as low as $49 a night Sun-Thurs; many other hotels in AC do this too but you get the most bang for your buck at the Trop. Also, check-in on Fri-Sat can be quite a wait in line since AC is primarily a weekend getaway for many.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple