New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Atlantic City
Stroudsburg
“Girls Weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel last year and I should have wrote this sooner but when I saw Groupon (a company I like) offering this hotel with a four star rateing I had to do something. When we got there we had to wait for hours to get into our room (like 8:00p.m.). When we got into the room it was dirty, you could easily tell it had been hastily cleaned, the sliding door would not close therefore you could not lock it. When we call the front desk to give them a list of our complaints, the non locking sliding was the most important situation at this point, they could clean better the next day. They said all maintenance worker were busy but someone would be up in a hour. Not wanting to miss them we stayed in the room to wait, but after serveral phone calls later, they didnt make till about 11:30. Not being able to fix the door properly (still open about two inches) they took wire and wired it to lock it. Since their was no chance of getting the door fixed and not excepting that we ask to be moved, we even said we would pay more to be on the other side, but they claimed they had no other rooms. After we didnt except that, they somehow found a room, but said it wouldnt be ready till 4:00, which we said would be fine, we were going to the beach for the day. When we make our reservation we got passes we used for food and for beach cabana's, well ever time we tried to reserve a cabana's they had none available, even at 7:00 a.m., you couldnt reserve it the night before unless you wanted to pay for it, you couldnt us the pass that you paid for thru the room reservation. Anyhow, we went to the front desk at 4:30 and of course our room was'nt ready, no worries, we'd go to dinner and come back. We got back and the room still was'nt ready, We complainted, but still didnt get into the new room till about 10:00 p.m. Since we couldnt get into our new room till 10:00p.m. the hotel offered us a cabana for our last day and we took them up on it. When we got to the cabana, which is to come with towels, the help told us their were no towel to be had. Once again not happy, then the one employee said he would try and get us towel, in other word, he wanted us to pay him/ no tip him to find us towel, which he did and we did, tip him I mean. We felt like we spent our whole time at the front desk, always waiting in line to even talk to the front desk staff. It's time to check out, once again we are waiting in the long long line, and you have to check out in order to get your parking vailotated. Everthing was on my credit card, (just easier) and when I got home and looked at my card, I saw they charged us for stuff in the mini bar, which we are all over the age of 50 and we know better never to take stuff from mini bar. I had to call several time in order to get credit for what they charged me, and they only way I got credit was to dispute it thru my credit card and I think once they got notice from them they took care of it. Headache from begaining to end, be very careful!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank thegailster
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Mount Holly, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We scored an awesome LivingSocial deal for $95 for four people on a Friday night staying at the Chelsea. It included some great benefits/coupons! The room we stayed in was on the 2nd floor of the annex. I will say it was extremely clean and we were thankful for that. However, it stated it was newly remodeled when the bathroom was still very dated and somewhat falling apart. The linens were amazing and the bed was comfortable. Lighting was lacking and the smoke detector was not installed, in fact it was absent from the room. There was no view at all, as there were only small windows toward the ceiling (kind of like in a basement).
For what we paid, the additional deals/coupons from the LivingSocial coupon and the small amount of time we were in the room, it worked out. However, I would not pay full price for a room in the annex. Stay in the tower!
The staff was extremely great and very pleasant to interact with. This place had it's ups and downs. Just remember that you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Stay in the tower. I would avoid the annex simply because you never really know what you will get (i...
1 Thank amyt809
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I was very excited about staying in this retro hotel. I'm going to start this review by saying that it is not a hotel. It is a motel with new and trendy curtains and new lamps. A coat of paint is the only update made since 1955, which could be amazing, but huge flaws need to be FIXED to pull this off.

First there was a large square on the wall with hanging hooks but no picture in it's place, plastic still on the new chair in the corner, a broken light fixture, no cold water in the shower, and the cold water handle was completely broken and fell off. The bathroom was not remodeled, which was cool, except the drain in the tub was completely rusty, so cutting corners by not replacing a drain wasn't the way to go.

Also we called the Valet to have our car brought around when we were checking out and they said it would be 40 minutes, yes 40 MINUTES, that's not okay. Not to mention that we are pretty sure that 200 miles were put on the car, although we didn't take a picture of the mileage when we dropped it off so we couldn't prove it.

The hallways were very dark in the Annex which was a bit creepy. I would advise anyone looking to stay here that they ask for the main hotel and avoid the Annex at all costs.

The retro feel was definitely fun and it was well done in the lobby and the restaurant, but the rooms were not up to par. I'm bummed because it could be so much more than it is!

I will check back in a couple of years and see if they've improved, but unless they have I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the Annex!!!!!!
2 Thank Kari L

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Collegeville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently stayed at the Chelsea during a weekend trip to AC. I had a room in the Annex, with a balcony overlooking the street. The room was decent. The Luxe rooms in the Chelsea tower have been recently re-done, the rooms in the Annex have not; and you can see it. On this same weekend I saw a room in the tower that friends of mine had, and they are a lot nicer. That said though the room in the Annex was not bad by any stretch, definitely very clean and comfortable.

Now there are issues; these issues did not affect my stay, but they may be a problem for other travelers. First- the street below (Atlantic Avenue) is a very busy street; and the sounds of Ambulances, police cars and just regular traffic can go on late into the night. This was not a problem for me as I was out most of the night, but can be an issue for others.
Second- the walls between rooms do not appear heavily sound proof. The Saturday i was here, there were three of four bachelorette parties in other rooms on the same floor, and again it was not quiet. Not an issue for me, but could be for others.
All of that said, there are some really great things about this hotel. The restaurant downstairs (Teplitzky's) is awesome. My friends and I had brunch there Sunday morning, and despite being very busy, the wait was less than 20 minutes, the service was unbelievably fast and incredibly courteous; and the food and drink (mimosas, bloody marys etc) excellent. The restaurant is also very well priced (brunch, with mimosas averaged $20 a person). Everything said and done, I would definitely stay here again, although the next time I might pay the extra $40 a night and stay in the Tower (Luxe).

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tower, while more expensive than in the annex; are definitely quieter. For breakfast/br...
2 Thank AbeShenoy
Richmond, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The annex tower has the look of a rundown hotel, the carpet it old, the hallways have marks all over them. Doors to every room were old looking like it was breaking down on the bottom part. Inside the room the carpet was old and had gum stains. The beds were clean and comfortable, the shower didn't put out a lot of pressure and the bathroom fan had a ton of dust on it. The shower stopper would not stay down so we had to put a cap under it so it would stay up and it had a partly clogged drain so you had a lot of standing water. The AC would not cool the room and at times it would make the room hot so we had to keep the window open. When we came downstairs the next morning I advised the front desk about the issues and they were only able to fix the drain stopper problem. When I checked out I advised of the remaining problems but those went unheard by the busy front desk person. Overall the hotel was run down and I don't think we will stay there again atleast in the annex tower, The good is it is right on the boardwalk and the staff is really great, Last thing do not order drinks from the bar and have it sent to the room, We had 5 Sam Adams, 5 shots of jack, 1 white russian for a total of $100.00.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex tower