“Nice weekend get-away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Bayonne, NJ
“Nice weekend get-away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Chelsea on a Thursday evening which was great because it seems we beat the "rush" of the weekend crowd. Valet and front desk were very helpful and we were checked in without issue. We stayed in the Annex (which I chose purposely to enjoy the balcony- which actually did have a partial view of the boardwalk/ocean on the side facing Chelsea Ave.). The room was not exactly what I expected and less than stellar (compared to what I am used to in 3-5 star hotels- I am guessing the rooms in the tower are nicer from what I've read in other reviews??); but it was large, had the basic amenities and the bed was VERY comfortable. There was a picture missing from the wall though, which made me feel a bit sketchy about what was to come for the rest of my stay. I mentioned to the front desk and they assured me that this was basically a part of their "spring cleaning"...I decided not to make a big fuss and give them the benefit of doubt. Outside of the room not being what I expected, we had a wonderful experience! We ate at Teplitzsky's for breakfast everyday which was really tasty, convenient and reasonably priced; also had a romantic dinner at Chelsea Prime one evening- the service and live entertainment were wonderful, along with the food. I also received a facial at the spa which was very nice as well.

It was overall a very pleasant and relaxing stay. We weren't really there to party, but rather to enjoy each other, so it was actually perfect for that with much less chaos being in a non-gaming hotel. I would stay there again for sure....although next time they will have to make sure there is not a random blank space where the artwork is supposed to be :-/.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
WILLINGBORO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My GPS was stolen out of my room. Instead of customer service, we received the runaround! If you have to stay at the Chelsea, I hope you don't have anything valuable because it will prbably get stolen too!

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed at The Chelsea over Easter weekend.... Got a promo through living social. Great deal, although it was for the Annex section of the hotel :( Comfy bed, but that's about it. The bathroom ws sooo small, and the shower lacked water presser. Who stays in the room anyway?

Room Tip: stay in the luxe section.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VAbeachlover76
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The Annex was very disappointing. Dingy rooms, bathroom, and public areas. Friendly staff. Waited for 45 minutes in the morning to get car back from valet, which was more or less mandatory. Would only staff again if other hotel prices were astronomically more expensive.

Eatontown, nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed in a king room in the Annex over the past weekend and was very disappointed. I should have spent the measly 60 more dollars and stayed in a casino.

Check-In:

Took about 25 minutes of waiting in line...only to be met by rude front desk staff. While I was being checked in the front desk help were chatting it up, they should be focused on getting people in their rooms not wasting time. Not very helpful and the $25 of free slot play is a sham...I went to the Trop later and they said my name was not on the list, so wasted another 15 minutes there.

Getting to the Room:

I made the mistake of booking a room in the Annex, which is a crappy motel that happens to be attached to the rest of the Chelsea. To get to the room you have you walk down a long hallway and past the diner. The motel elevators are extremely slow, shaky, and the doors take about 45 seconds to open leaving you wondering if you are going to be stuck. Most people I saw actually didn't chance the elevators and just used the stairs.

The room:

The room is an outdated motel room with some new furniture and fancy lamps. The bathroom is very old-fashioned, with small tiles on the floor and an old-school green tub surrounded by pink tiles.

Problems with the room:

The room heat/ac unit was at least 15 years old, and the room stayed musty because of that. I am guessing they don't clean their units often enough.

There was dust and little pieces of garbage along the sides of the room where the carpet met the wall...which is just pure laziness.

The sliding door to the balcony was missing its lock...anyone could hop over to our balcony from a surrounding room and walk right in...and the motel was not filled with nice looking people.

The bathroom door was warped and did not close.

The shower hot water faucet was loose and leaking water, to turn it on you had to press into the wall and turn at the same.

The hallway lamp glass was broken.

The bedside table lamp bulb was out. And they still used incandescent bulbs, not very green.

The ironing board was bent out of shape and unusable.

All of this stuff was ok for me to deal with for one night where I would hardly be in the room so I did not bother to ask for a room change, I also did not want to deal with the staff and lines again. The bed was comfortable at least and the linens were nice.

That night my friends were also staying at the Chelsea tower. They asked for a late check-out (1pm) and were given the extra time. When I called and the asked for one the rude staff at the front desk gave some BS about extra fees. I declined and they gave me till 12. When I left at 12, I was pretty annoyed to see that the maids were not even cleaning rooms yet....it would have cost them nothing to let me sleep for another hour, but oh well.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends