The Water Club by Borgata
US$ 246
US$ 214
  • Pool
Golden Nugget(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 298
Best Western Envoy Inn(Atlantic City)
US$ 366
US$ 299
Bally's Atlantic City(Atlantic City)
US$ 308
US$ 276
  • Beachfront
Atlantic Palace Suites(Atlantic City)
US$ 284
US$ 265
  • Beachfront
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 271
US$ 239
  • Restaurant
Resorts Casino Hotel(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 362
US$ 340
  • Beachfront
Caesars Atlantic City(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 327
US$ 294
  • Beachfront
The Chelsea Pub and Inn(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 296
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa(Atlantic City)(Great Value!)
US$ 394
US$ 353
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
1,176 results
All reviewsvista roomrain showersun roomimmersion spaoutdoor poolclub roomwolfgang puckbobby flaycorner roomold homesteadcomedy showcomedy clubvalet parkingflat screen tvbeautiful roomnew jerseyfood court
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I am a coffee afficionado, and the reason The Borgata only gets 3 stars from me is
1. No coffe in the rooms, you have to walk 10 miles (I know that is exaggerated, but that is what it feels like in the morning), to walk to Starbucks!
2. Snobby staff in reception, they don't inform you, they TELL you the rules and regulations, and the bouncers are full of attitude
3. The only reason I have stayed there is that Hall & Oates play there ...
The restaurants and bars are OK and there is plenty of seating. The shops, of course, are top notch and very expensive, but nice for window shopping. The glass sculptures are beautiful and it is esthetically, very nice, but I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Yvonne B
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I am always so hesitant to stay somewhere new, but based on reviews and word of mouth, I thought The Water Club would be great. It is attached to the Borgata hotel, which is so convenient, yet it is like walking into a quiet retreat. I loved the relaxed atmosphere. That is what my husband and I were looking for because this was a little getaway from our busy lives.

Rooms: Our room was very clean. The shower is great and HUGE! My one complaint (and I did see this on the other reviews and laughed, but it is so true) the pillows are awful! However, we called the front desk and the gave us some firm pillows upon request. We brought a cooler full of drinks, which was a lot easier than worrying about the mini bar. I was very pleased with the room. Also, I saw a few reviews about bed bugs, which FREAKED me out. I checked everything out the second I entered the room (as I always do!) and it was totally clean.

Staff: Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Sunroom: This is the one restaurant (if you want to call it that) in The Water Club. It is small and low key. THere are breakfast, lunch, and dinner items on the menu, but it is a limited menu. The rest of the restaurants are in The Borgata. It had a cool atmosphere. My husband and I went in their for a few drinks before dinner. I ordered a glass of Proseco. The bartender told me that they only had regular champagne. I said I would take a glass. He failed to tell me there were different kinds (and maybe I should have asked) but I was charged $22 a glass for champagne. I got over it, but I wish I had been presented with a choice.

Food: We ate at the Old Homestead, which was delicious. I highly recommend the gnocchi side dish...amazing!! We also ate at Wolfgang Puck. They have 2 menus (tavern and dinner). Tavern menu was awesome...truffle potato chips, garlic wings, and pizza made for a delicious casual dinner. We did the buffet for breakfast, and we really enjoyed that too.

Spa: The spa is a must!!!! My husband likes to play poker, so while he did that, I had a massage and hung out at the spa. There is a beautiful pool and jacuzzi up there, that is only available to spa patrons or people that pay additional. After my massage, I utilized the pool and jacuzzi. I also just sat on a lounge chair and read. Food and drink is available if you order it, but it is a bit pricey because you have to pay a delivery fee. I made myself some tea from the spa room and brought a few snacks in my bag. There is also unlimited water and some fruit/nuts available for free. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Leaving the hotel: When you walk out of the hotel, there is a stop for the Jitney (small bus). It costs $2.25 per person and runs 24/7. It was interesting to go down to the boardwalk and see everything. There are tons of souvenir shops and food vendors. Lots of interesting sights!! There are amusement park rides, but that section is closed for renovations until summer. I highly suggest going into the pier shops at Caesar's. The sushi place, Souzai, was fantastic. You may be thinking, Sushi at the boardwalk??? Trust me, it was clean and outstanding!! Also, they do a mini version of a water show like the Bellagio in Vegas does. If you leave the hotel, I suggest staying on the boardwalk. The other areas are a bit sketchy. This was one reason I liked that the Water Club was not on the boardwalk because people can't just walk in like they did to the casinos on the boardwalk.

Overall: I would definitely go back to The Water Club. It was worth the money and we had a fantastic getaway!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lama1902
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Read the negative reviews, and look at how many there are. Truly great hotels have a totally ratio of positive vs negative reviews. I worry, often that people write negative reviews out of anger. For me, while I was certainly frustrated several times during my stay, I'm taking the time out of my insane schedule to protect you from a place that doesn't live up to it's promise. In our experience, the negatives significantly outweighed the positives at The Water Club.

The Water Club positions itself as *the* top destination in AC, a town surrounded by several cities full of wealthy people accustomed to fine hotels. This is a relatively attractive and tastefully designed hotel when looking at the lobby and the spa level, and the rooms are OK. That's where the good news kind of... ends.

The situation is this, from what I can tell: The Water Club's job is to extract as much money as possible from guests in addition to the room rates, without really delivering on the promise of a 4+ star hotel service. And then try to hide that fact from you as best they can. What this means to you is that you can expect a lack of return on your investment in quality service, attention, maintenance and cleanliness.

In fact, there were times I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

One of the biggest frustrations for me came when I went to the private pool (closed to "regular" Borgata guests) on a Sunday. My hope was to enjoy a book, an ice water, a bloody mary, and a meal, having spent a long night out at their club, MiXX, on Saturday. After sitting for 30 minutes at the indoor pool, which is nice, but nothing by comparison to most good casinos in Vegas, I decided to ask the security guard posted at the door where the bartender was. "Dunno. Supposed to be here." Long story short, I end up having to walk across the lobby in my wet bathing suit to the "Sundeck" bar. I asked the manager there, who's in charge of the pool bar? "We are," he replies, "but our bartender called in sick." There are 15 people at the pool, I say, could you send one of your 5 people here to see us? "No, sorry, we need all 5." There are 3 bartenders here, and only 8 barstools, I point out, are you sure? "Yes... one is a bar back and one is training." Maybe one of the waitresses could come by, I ask? "No, sorry, they need to be here." I point out that it seems odd that a resort where people come for vacation would even consider having no service at the pool all day on a weekend. I ask the manager to imagine if he'd traveled to a tropical island and swam up to the pool bar on his precious vacation time only to find out he'd spend the day unserved. For a facility of this stature, it seems impossible. He responds that he "totally agrees and completely understands my perspective." Meanwhile I'm ordering two $12 bloody marys (mixer + vodka + plastic cup... done) at the bar in front of him. I point out that our group has spent $30-40,000 at the Water Club & Borgata (actually true!), and to be then told we can't enjoy our day at the pool without walking back and forth for drinks and snacks just needs to be fixed. "I hear you sir, but there's nothing I can do." I then put my 2 bloody marys on my room, as he watches. Yep, he doesn't offer to pay for them. Doesn't seem to cross his mind. I then drip my way carefully across the lobby back to my lonely lounger, and look around the sad little room at all the sad people... all thirsty.

That manager's name was Kevin, if I remember correctly.

I slowly sip my mediocre bloody mary that Kevin should have comp'd as I watch no fewer than 3 people walk in together to fold towels, and then walk out. Bizarre staffing plan here. No bartender backup, but 3 towel collector/folders. Then a manager named Matthew walks in and asks us where the bar tender is. Good question, I point out. After telling him my story and noting that any manager I've ever met would have at least comped the two bloody marys, he says he totally understands my position. And walks off. I suck a little bloody-mary-flavored melted ice from the bottom of my cup, and call my wife to see if she can bring me a sandwich on her way back from the spa (where she and her girlfriend had just had very disappointing manicures and pedicures).

There's no need to read further, but if you'd like to you're welcome. The insanity continued in all sorts of different ways. I'll refrain from the detail provided above. This is just what I can remember, a couple months later:

-- On arrival there's a broken handle from the minibar cupboard in the middle of the floor. No room inspections, evidently. Also 2 light bulbs out (closet and desk). Sticky spill and a rubber band inside the mini-fridge.

-- The pack-and-play that was delivered for our baby was the most stained, filthy, discolored thing I've ever seen. I spend a lot of time in the 3rd world, and I can handle rough. This was gross. It kills me that I didn't take a picture. It was delivered with california king sized sheets. Hmmm. The replacement took well over an hour, by which point our baby had taken her nap in our camping crib, which we happened to have.

-- The room was borderline dirty. I mean, it was vacuumed and I'm sure the sheets were washed. But, look in the corner of the shower or on top of the lamps and... yikes. Moldy, dusty, dirty and beaten up. Take a look at my photos.

-- The concierge didn't know what time the box office (same hotel) opened. I left my room and walked across the casino 3 times on mis-information about opening time. I had to do this in the first place, because the concierge is unable to obtain tickets to their own shows! Amazing.

-- Fake tile on the bathroom walls... it's wallpaper. In our case with some scribble from a previous guest. Can't wipe pen off wallpaper, I guess.

-- When mentioning the fact that we were not impressed by the Water Club to several folks who would be in the know (can't mention who), there were nods... yes, we hear that a lot.

-- If you want to pay an extra $15 to use a treadmill... good luck, all but 2 were broken. Take a look at my picture.

-- All the other guests staying in our group had complaint after complaint. I can't repeat them because technically it's hearsay, but suffice it to say, I had a lot of corroboration.

You get the point. The Water Club, unfortunately, is a watered down version of who they intend to be. Maybe one day they'll turn it around, but right now... they're not there.

Room Tip: Given our experience, I'd ask for a new room. I don't know that they exist, but ours was dirty and worn out.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank ContinentCrosser
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I went for a long weekend with my husband. The room was great, so were the restaurants on site. I enjoyed my stay. The club was packed every night and the drinks at the bars were great.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LuvToTravel095
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I am a frequent visitor to the Water Club, and have enjoyed my stays almost every time. The "almost" is due to an experience during one stay, when the elevator malfunctioned and slipped down a few floors--quite frightening--but remedied immediately by the management not only in repair but also a lovely dinner on the house. The rooms are large, the beds very comfortable, and the bathroom is really roomy, with excellent rain showers. The only complaint I have is that there aren't enough people checking the guests in, and the lines get long. The restaurants in the Borgata (where Water Club patrons dine) are uniformly good as well. I highly recommend the hotel when visiting Atlantic City--it is a definite step up from the resorts on the Boardwalk.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple