“the best hotel in Colombia.”

Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Santa Marta
indianapolis
“the best hotel in Colombia.”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

What can I say...all the experience in Colombia was amazing but I have to say that the best part of it was my stay at Casa de Isabella. It is a really nice house, the rooms are just perfect and they offer I Pads. The staff was really friendly and helpful, specially Franklin and Dauner.
I definitively recommend Casa de Isabella if you want to spend a great and relax time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chuck N
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I chose this hotel for its good reviews and its location by the sea. The hotel is nice but the decor is something strange has presiosa architecture but there are elements that do not match the style. The rooms are quite small, has comfortable but I miss a place to sit with the computer without being a couch or bed, has a good technology, Apple TV and internet value but it seems expensive. Breakfast looks good quality but the service is a bit disorganized, the staff is friendly and helpful, willing to help. To make the supposedly perfect sport is going to take to walk to the beach but is a bit disappointing, dirty and badly paved so that it becomes difficult to run on it. The street is a little dark at night and hostels next door are a bit odd .... The construction of the hotel is very nice but it seems expensive for what you get

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 April 2012

What to say! The hotel is small (which I like) and pretty looking. The staff at the front desk were friendly, but the staff concerned with providing breakfast not so much. They looked at us as if we were asking for the strangest things and were absolutely not interested in having to go out of their way to provide you the breakfast the hotel offers its guests. The swimming pool was nice, but really TOO small!!! The rooms are nice, cozy and clean, but a bit tiny. The bathroom is really tiny, not comfortable at all! I did like the Apple tv they have in the room with over 100 different movies to choose from. The location is great...within walking distance of almost everything and just a block from the beach (this isn't a beach where you would go to as a tourist btw!), but the harbour in front of the beach is nice to stroll on during the evening time. We went to Playa Salguero instead, which is a 15 minute drive from the hotel, but so worth it! Only locals come here, so not as crowded as the other beaches. The one thing we really, really didn't like about the hotel was the fact that they add a 5% tip to your bill at the end of your stay and although the 5% tip is voluntary, it is weird that the customer has to tell the front desk that they need to remove the 5%, it feels awkward to do so. Would I recommend this? Yes, but more because I know there aren't many AMAZING hotels in Santa Marta and this one probably is one of the better ones. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the hotel itself, because I find it WAY overpriced for what you get!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mhot
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry if we did not fully meet your expectations. I wanted to address a few items. The optional tip is fully disclosed well in advance of arrive and is designed to build a team spirit and spread amoug all employees. The manager who prepared you bill does not share so when you deleted from your bill you should not feel awkward in anyway.

We emailed your reservation confirmation showing the bill and stating it is in fact optional prior to your arrival. I think our prices with discounts are averaging $105 to $120 a night so most guests actually ask to tip more as it is only calculated on room rate and works out to about 75 cents per day per employee. As also stated cash tipping is forbidden at our hotel and the employees strictly abide to this rule. We atctually raised the % from 4% to 5% based on the number of guiests stating it was too low. I am sorry if this cought you by surprise as I go through great lengths to show all and any charges prior and we have built this hotel to not nickel and dime guests rather give them as much as possible for the price of room so they leave feeling a good value.

We also include free international calling, along with your free movies on demand, WiFi etc.. in this room rate as well as exempt foreign guests such as yourself from the 16% Colombian tax so I feel we are offering great value.

I can tell you our employees get great reviews and the breakfast issue you had is being investigated as it is quite unusual. It is the first time I have gotten a negative response about service and we are having a meeting today to discuss what happened as it is very concerning.

I hope we can be better and you return as we know we can always improve.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had a wonderful stay at Casa de Isabella recently. Though I think I prefer spending time in Taganga to Santa Marta, I don't like sleeping in backpacker hostels so staying in SM was my best option.

The hotel is very well appointed, and staff are extremely helpful. In particular, I was very happy with the personal service at check-in by David, who helped me with info about Tayrona and things to do and see in Santa Marta. Another staff member who I felt went way above and beyond what's typical, even at a nice boutique hotel like this, is that of Franklin, who arranged all of my transport and was extremely helpful in every way.

The rooms on the ground floor can be a little noisy in the mornings, especially room #5 which is right by the kitchen. So, if you like to sleep in like I do ask for a room in the mezzanine or away from the cocina.

While it's a little annoying to have to ask to be let in and out each time, the hotel is very secure as a result. I would recommend Casa de Isabelle to anyone visiting Santa Marta.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your review and it is noted about the noise. This is first such complaint and 5 is actually one of my favorite rooms. However I can see how noise might be an issue. We have double walls in the hotel as well as windows to insulate against any noise as noise is the number 1 complaint in hotel industry. I am investigating further and will take whatever actions I need to correct issue.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at Casa D'Isabella for a night in March 2012. It is a great little hotel only a couple of minutes walk from the best parts of central Santa Marta.

The rooms are very nice and are equipped with mosquito nets (fitted to the four poster beds), iPod docks and Apple TV, amongst other touches. The hotel also has a small swimming pool which was very welcoming after a long, hot day travelling and sightseeing!

Breakfast was decent and the level of service in the hotel was fantastic - the staff on reception were very happy to help out with sourcing taxis to a variety of locations for us and ensuring that we weren't overcharged.

If you're visiting Santa Marta, Casa D'Isabella would be an excellent choice for a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the great review. I am glad we met your expectations!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Marta
Hotel Tamaca Beach Resort
#5 of 66 in Santa Marta
36.9 km away
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
0.2 km away
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
#4 of 66 in Santa Marta

Been to Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK