“Basic and cheap. A good deal.”
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Not fancy, but a good cheap place to stay. I got an individual room for 20,000 pesos per night (about $10-12 US) with ceiling fan only and it was cool enough to sleep. They have rooms with AC if you want. The place a bit dingy-looking, but it's clean; they're out mopping and cleaning every day. They have wifi. If you don't have your own computer/phone, they have two ancient desktops available for guests to use for free, which work most of the time.

The in-house restaurant is good, although honestly not as good as some of the other local options. Convenient though.

Guias y Baquianos tours is based in the hostel. I did the Ciudad Perdida trek with them. It was well run. They even arranged for mules (for an extra charge) for the two girls who couldn't handle the hike back. Be warned about the trek: none of the agencies will tell you that it's a tough hike, especially considering the heat and humidity. If you're fit it's not a big deal, but marginally out-of-shape people will struggle, and seriously out-of-shape people won't make it.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you are getting a room w/o AC; noise from the main area comes right in and can las...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin H

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Very helpful staff!!! (especially diana-she will sort anything and everything out for you)... very accommodating! good spot to leave the bags for a few days ane head off via Minca, Tayrona or Palomino. Rooms are basic bit comfortable. The secret here is in the service, lots of helpful info for buses, hostels, and tours, plus laundry service and a cafe right inside (very friendly staff there too and happy to lend you a few things if you need).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We had a private double room without Air-con for 20,000 pesos and with Air-con for 30,000 although the fan was so powerful we frankly could have done without air-con. Yes the water is cold but not as cold as in Tayrona or Ciudad Perdida. Once I asked the owner to give me some hot water for the shower and she gave me a bucket full of steaming water - I had so much leftover that I washed my clothes in it afterwards! It has a warm atmosphere and is a little social but you can get a very quiet night's sleep. The in-house snack bar/restaurant comes very handy when you've just woken up and don't feel like changing to eat a quick breakfast or have a cheap wholesome dinner. I felt very safe here, we even left our solomons outside to dry and they're not cheap shoes. And yes it's not exactly in the best area of Santa Marta but I don't think there is a really good area in Santa Marta to be honest. All I can say is we walked out at night and didn't have any problems. It's a hostel and it's one of the cheapest in Santa Marta so I can give it a good rating.

Room Tip: I am not sure of the number but either room 18 or 20 is huge so go for it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank esmeralda_attard
Reviewed 13 June 2012

After reading the reviews before visiting Santa Marta we didn't consider this hostel at all, but when we did a walk through on hostels, we gave Miramar a go. We got a private room with bathroom and air-conditioning for $30,000 COP - if we had just used the fan it would have been $23,000.

This is half the price of all other private rooms available, except perhaps at Casa Familar which had fairly nice cheap rooms without AC.

The room and bathroom were clean but the mattress on the bed was comfy enough but very old. They spray this weird smelling stuff in the room between guests which nearly had us move out and between that and the reviews we saw here about lice etc. our minds drove us crazy the first night!

But after that first bit, we stayed and enjoyed our time there! We were in Santa Marta for 4 weeks and stayed at Miramar for 2 weeks.

Pros:
The food is ok for the price & juices are great
Definitely try the lunch special fried fish
All the staff were extremely fun and lovely and a bit mad! We had a real laugh with the woman who cooks. There is the younger guy who is less friendly but he wasn't a problem for us.
Laundry service is ridiculously cheap - the old cleaning lady is mad as a hatter and we think permanently on the sauce! But catch her eye and you can't help but have a good moment.
Wifi is strong and reliable (you need to let them know if you want it on overnight)
Main pro: It's crazy cheap to stay there.

Cons:
Mattresses are old and our room had a funny smell for the first day
Rooms are small and the building is old
The sheets were thin and no top sheet (seems to be common in Colombia)
Bathrooms are as basic as a bathroom can get
If you run out of loo paper, the cleaning ladies don't seem to pick it up, so you have to ask reception
The street has character! I wouldn't want to walk in this street at night by myself as a woman but as a couple it was fine.

This place would suit long term travellers who have seen it all. The only reason you would stay here is that it is really cheap. If you are doing short term travel and have the cash then go somewhere else, but if you just need a cheap place to base yourself then check it out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kungfukitty_oz
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Yes it is close to the beach and has some colonial charm. The restaurant was not bad and is cheep and convenient in the morning, but this place is a total dive. I was quoted 20,000 pesos per night for a little tiny room without A/C or TV. Upon checking out, the kid at the reception desk attempted the over charge me by 10,000 pesos. I said no way and he backed down The same kid was on the guest computers playing games most of the time. I felt the need to lock up my netbook , Ipod, camera and passport in the hotel's safe. You can get a much better place to stay one block away on Calle 11 - for a couple of dollars more. There is a helpful tour booking business associated with the hotel - I would recommend them without question. One last thing - essentially in the red-light district of Santa Marta.

Room Tip: Check out a few rooms before settling in and always bargain with the hotels while traveling in Col...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo