“A Diamond in the Rough!”
Review of Cuban Cafe

Cuban Cafe
Ranked #34 of 131 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This restaurant is owned by a husband and wife, who work as Chef and Server. It is BYOB.
When we first pulled into the parking lot, I wasn't so sure that this was the atmosphere that we were looking for on a Saturday night out with friends, but as soon as we were seated (at the ONE and ONLY indoor table!), I knew that we were in for an experience, not just a dinner. Not sure of what to order, our friend responded to the owner, "What would YOU want to have?". Edilia proceeded to bring us bowl after bowl of DELICIOUS Cuban favorites, and her husband Dunechky instructed us on the traditional way to enjoy each item. It was really a wonderful meal. Edilia and Dunechky were so warm and welcoming, and the food was AMAZING. Completely homemade, with fresh ingredients.
It started with lightly spiced garlic bread that was like none I’ve ever tasted anywhere else. EVER. She then brought out two different bowls of rice, one white with a side of black beans, and a bowl of black rice with seasoning and beans. The three different meats, oxtail, so tender and seasoned with many spices but mostly savory cumin, a tender roasted pork, and steak with peppers and other vegetables. Were also given a fresh chopped salad, and while I’m sure I’m forgetting something, it was all followed up with Flan. We will go back often, it was a great experience, the owners were wonderful hosts, the food was amazing, and it was very reasonably priced! Five stars to Edilia and Dunechky!!

2  Thank TerryN318

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped in for a quick bite of beef empanadas and took the oxtail stew to go. The empanadas were great and the oxtail was exceptional, so tender and tasty. They also roast whole pigs so we will have to get a lechon for our next party! The proprietors are super friendly and the service was quick.

1  Thank Kickie
Reviewed 2 November 2017

Not fancy so if you are looking to impress a date this is not your place. IF you want good food and lots of it, you're in luck. best cuban sandwich I have had. Equal to anything I have had in Miami. loads of choices and specials. and the staff is super friendly and helpful if you have questions.

1  Thank John G
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

The Cuban Cafe in Asbury Park is a total find. Best traditional Cuban food I've ever had. Simple, authentic and perfectly prepared. Completely delicious. The Cuban owner and his staff make you feel like you are a long lost relative the moment you arrive. My wife and I were welcomed with a firm handshake and free samples of their mouthwatering Masas de Cerdo por Libra (pork) and oxtail stew. The owner then commanded us (in Spanish) to sit so he could serve us plate after plate of amazing dishes with each one better than the one before. We didn't even order! The plates just arrived. You must try the Tostones (fried green plaintains with garlic) and Maduros (sweet plantains) and also the ham croquettes. And the pineapple juice tasted so fresh and sweet that you would swear the pineapples arrived that morning direct from Cuba. Absolutely fabulous. After dinner take your Cuban desert and Cuban coffee to the boardwalk and watch the sunset for a truly memorable experience. Definitely worth an hour drive from NYC.

1  Thank GlobalBizWarrior
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

I went with my husband for our anniversary. The food was perfect and authentic. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and the staff and cook were so gracious. They gave us a slice of delicious cake with real roses! So perfect. I love it there!