“Excellent, modern hotel in a quiet neighborhood”

Hotel Poblado Alejandria
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very nice, modern and colorful decor, exactly as shown on the hotel website. Room was very clean. Staff were very pleasant and accommodating even though my Spanish is quite limited. Breakfast buffet was excellent and varied. Pleasant indoor/outdoor dining area overlooking a small but beautiful tropical garden. Extremely quiet and peaceful upper-class neighborhood, in sharp contrast to much of Medellin. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a nice view of this clean, modern neighborhood and surrounding hillsides.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We recently stayed 8 days at this hotel. The service in the hotel is mostly impeccable, especially the front desk staff, including very helpful bell men. Another good thing is the (free) WiFi. It worked like bliss for the whole stay, the signal is strong. However, contrary to most reviews I did not find the location all THAT convenient. Yes it is close to the popular Poblado area, but it is located on a steep hill off the main Avenida Poblado. Walking down is feasible, but walking up will be a bit too strenuous for the average tourist. The hotel is far from the closest Metro station (way too far to be able to walk). As the Metro is very crucial to get to interesting points throughout the city, one needs to take a taxi every time to and from the Poblado Metro station. Although taxis are readily available, it adds quite some travel time to every trip and of course adds up in term of costs. Wasn't too pleased with the fact that some items from the mini bar were added to our bill, which we did not use (actually they charged us for our own water we had put in the small fridge!). And I missed having a small coffee maker or even water cooker in a room with this price/hotel class. There are no ice makers on any of the floors, one hast to get it from the restaurant on the ground floor. This I also found a bit funny for a hotel in this category. All in all, certainly not bad, but I find most reviews I read on TripAdvisor were a bit too positive about this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bonairetraveller
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed here for just 1 night before flying back to the UK. The hotel is decent in every respect, though nothing amazing. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We had booked 2 nights, but failed to show up on the first night. The hotel did not charge a penny for the 'no show'

A decent place, but I prefer the Royal Medellin - though it does cost a bit more

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

As other reviewers note, this hotel comprises a multi-storey tower in Medellín’s nicest (and priciest!) neighbourhood. Although officially listed as a three-star establishment, it boasts all of the amenities one might expect in a four-star accommodation – except, perhaps, a swimming pool, but it does have a roof-top jacuzzi that can be used free of charge by all guests.

The location is ideal for those seeking a quiet place to stay, and it is also safe (not least given the amount of private security guards and police officers on patrol in local streets). It is within easy walking distance of the ‘milla de oro’ (the ‘golden mile’ of Poblado’s main avenue, along which several shopping centres, restaurants, etc. are located), and abundant taxis can take guests to further destinations.

Rooms are well-proportioned, and provide all necessary amenities. They are also kept spotlessly clean by the hard-working housekeeping staff, and all requests I made – e.g. for extra coat hangers, more toiletries, etc. – were met immediately and in a very friendly fashion. I was fortunate enough to be given a room with two windows, so could enjoy excellent vistas across two different parts of the very beautiful city of Medellín. All rooms have a/c, but it was not necessary to turn this on during my stay: days are warm but not hot, and nights can be very cool.

The hotel offers a lovely menu of local and ‘international’ cuisine, all of which seems to be prepared fresh. I also enjoyed a working dinner here with a large number of colleagues, and the establishment excelled itself, providing a delicious three-course repast themed in colour terms to tie in with our professional interests. With regards to food, the only tiny drawback at this hotel is the breakfast: the offering at the buffet never changes (indeed, I stayed at this hotel last year and the food at breakfast was exactly the same as this year!), and the restaurant really is too small to seat all-comers if many guests turn up at the same time. (The venue has very few seats inside, so many guests must perforce take a table on the patio. Even though this is roofed, when it is cold and raining outside, this can become a damp, chilly and unhappy experience.)

The real boon at this hotel, however, is the simply marvellous staff. I had stayed at the accommodation last year, and this time was greeted as a regular visitor (which I most certainly hope to become). Throughout my stay all staff called me by my name. Nothing – and I mean *nothing* – is too much trouble for any of the employees here. Indeed, I can honestly say that I have never experienced such consistently excellent, personalised attention from the staff at any establishment I have ever visited. These are the people of Antioquia (the Department of Colombia in which Medellín is situated) – friendly, smiling, helpful, courteous – and this really comes through in their dealings with guests.

A place to return to, and one I can highly recommend to even the most discerning of visitors, from Colombia or overseas.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Quentin1
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Overall, a very good experience. It all started well when calling at the last minute(same day) toreserve transportation from the airport. I was told no probem, and it wasn't. Checking in was quick, easy and pleasant (very nice staff). The room was a good size...not too big, but also not too small. The view was great (the hotel is perched upon a hill, with great views of Medellin - truly a beautiful city - but I will get back to the hill in a moment). The bellhop, Juan I believe, was extremely nice and showed me to my room. I ordered dinner and a glass of wine, everything so far, fantastic. Actually I only have two somewhat negative comments, and they aren't that bad. One: The hotel is a bit removed from the rest of the city, and up a large and long hill (walkable...barely...and not in the afternoon heat and humidity). There are taxis readily available, and since taxis in Medellin are pretty cheap...not bad. Two: The waitstaff is a bit non chalant. It is made up for by the bellhops, the concierge and other hotel staff, but it did irk me a bit that some of the waitresses seemed to be annoyed by any requests. The breakfast is an assorted array of breads, fruits and eggs made to order...which is good. The price is pretty much on par with most hotels in Medellin. I did like the 15th floor "jacuzzi," a bottle of wine at sunset makes for a great way to end the day! Overall as I said, the hotel was very good, just not "perfect." I would recomend this hotel, as well as a trip in general to Medellin! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011