“Lovely modern hotel in El Poblado”
Review of Hotel Plaza Rosa

Hotel Plaza Rosa
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Plaza Rosa is a spotless, modern hotel in the popular El Poblado area of Medellin. The rooms are large and great value for money. The hotel has an alfresco Italian restaurant attached which is very good, the pizzas are amazing. Totally recommend this hotel as a base while visiting Medellin.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

My first trip to Medellin and I was unsure when my colleague advised me not to expect anything too fancy from the hotel, I didn't know what to expect. But what I found was a clean, simple hotel, no bells and whistles, but then you are not paying bells and whistle prices. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of produce to choose. Free internet was a good speed and the minbar even stocks Spam!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Way to shoot yourself in the foot Plaza Rosa!

We booked though Orbitz and upon check in were told we needed to pay and additional 113,000 COP for "night security." Huh?

Having read all the Orbitz fine print, I was not at all interested in doing to so... Despite a weeks worth of emails and calls we had no choice but to pay it.

Because of this I would have rated this hotel terrible, however some of the staff were very nice, and breakfast was OK.

But, honestly for another 113,000 COP I would have stayed somewhere else nicer.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeremy L
Reviewed 2 January 2012

If you are visiting Medellin for the first time and want to stay in the best area and within walking distance from every restaurant and bars, the plaza rosa hotel is the best place to stay.

I booked the a room for 1 week at $56 bucks at day from Travelocity and it was a bargain.

The place is super clean and included a daily breakfast (buffet style ) but there was a cooked who could prepare omelette, eggs, etc. as requested. The food was fresh every morning and the staff service was impeccable during breakfast.

The hotel offered wifi for free and basic cable television in the room (not cable box) and 80% of the channels were translated to Spanish and the rest were subtitle.

My only BIG complaint was the bed mattress. I am not exaggerating when I say that the floor was softer that the freaking bed. Imagine you took a 8 hour flight from the USA to Medellin and you want to rest, but you cant laydown on the bed because your back, ribs and shoulders can't take any position on this bed. At first I didnt complaint and decided to suck it up, but I got so sick the third day that I needed to be in bed all day, so I asked for my bed mattress to be replaced for a softer mattress;which they did with out a problem, but the matress was slightly better. Everyday I was going to sleep late just to avoid spending to much time on the bed. I am not kidding , so please if you don't care much a bout comfort this is the place for you.

Lastly, be careful when you checked-out because they will put additional charges on your bill. Please review every charge and if you see something that you were not aware of you need to say this "remove this charge, I am not paying for this" ( do not use please, or could you).during my checked-out they wanted to charged me $20 bucks at day for room insurance which they claimed Travelocity made me aware of it and it should have declined during the purchased, but I told them that they should have made aware directly and verbally to me during the check-in process and not during the check-out process and demanded to removed those charges inmediately. They did but just be aware of this practice.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed here 5 days so expected more. Our first room was on the 6th floor-a basic room, but a nice view. The second night of our stay, the air conditioner became funky and nearly froze us to death - despite having it on a setting of 79F. The next night, the air conditioner didn't work at all. The next day it began making very weird mechanical noises. We kept calling the front desk to get help for this and other problems (light bulb didn't work in the lamp over the bed, we needed an extra chair, we asked for a lamp for one of the bedside tables (only one in the room). The staff kept saying they would send help "inmediamente", but never did. We got the lamp on day three, the light bulb on day 4, and couldn't get the staff to respond to the broken air conditioner at all. Finally, the manager came up and with the help of one of the lower level staff, we switched to another room (the first two alternatives they showed us were unacceptable - small, noisy, and one with a broken air onditioner!!, but the last one was ok. Getting it right after many attempts earns a point or two, but we really shouldn't have had to go through all this aggravation to get the basics of a decent room.. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I come here again. There are simply too many good choices in Medellin.

Room Tip: 8th floor seems to be the premium floos