1,630 results
All reviews quiet pool main bar free shuttle a la carte restaurants beach bar all inclusive resort the entire resort great resort dark sand old city walled city boogie boards nightly entertainment adult only pool city tour pools were clean colombian pesos
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed at the Occidental Grand March of 2012. We had an ocean view room which was very nice and kept clean. Floor was tile which was a little uneven in certain corners. There are 2 pools, a quiet pool by the rooms, and the party pool by the main bar and restaurant area. Food was good every night. Some people were complaining about the lack of variety but every night there was fish, beef/pork chicken and pasta. Salad and desserts were there as well. A grill set up for burgers and steaks and fish.
The loud bar wasn't staffed enough for the amount of people at that end of the resort. The portable bar at the quiet pool was great.
Free shuttle into town 5-6 times a day . The walled city is a must, we walked it for hours, even ventured out into the real Cartagena, felt very safe at all times.
There are some issues with the cleanliness in the dish/silver ware department.
A very nice relaxing week.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnMLisaM
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I went with friends in Feb 2012. Overall it was a good experience. We found staff friendly, good service in the restaurants, liked the food choices as it was all good, just not loaded with options like other buffets, but good quality. Bar service was slow at times, not enough staff and needed another location. It would be nice if there was a sheltered facility for evenings as it is very windy, and really no place to hang out. I found the beach fine, not a white sandy beach with blue water, more like Lake Huron, but you could walk it and enjoy. Had a massage on beach for $25 it was great! There does need to be more shade around the pools. Rooms were ok, but I don't think you can get a king without a suite, so it is 2 doubles. Found the rooms even with the air on very humid, as it is the type of a/c, as well as a noisy a/c unit! I didn't like the brick work floor, hard on the feet and impossible to clean. Didn't mind being outside of the city since there was a shuttle, nice to have a quiet spot when not exploring the city. There are toothbrushes available for sale at front desk (dropped mine on the floor!) so that is a relief since there is not a store on site. If the price is right, and you want to try a different spot, as well as knowing it won't rain or be cool temperature, this is a good option.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank trishiepooh
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We (my wife and I, both in our late 50s) spent a week at the Occidental Grand Cartagena in early March, 2012. We found the hotel very clean and the staff exceptionally friendly and always trying to please. We had no complaints about the food and were especially pleased by the nice selection of delicious Colombian fruit. The shuttle service between the hotel and the walled city was excellent. It's about a 20 minute ride. Our main complaint was a limited amount of shade around the two pools and that people continued to "reserve" the shaded areas by leaving their towels there - and this, despite having being told not to do so. People also need to be aware that because of the communicating doors between the rooms, you can hear what's going on in the room next door, especially if your neighbours are inconsiderate and don't keep their voices down. I think the staff needs to tell the guests about keeping noise to a minimum.
We had an exceptionally good guide for our visit of the old city and for a trip the following day to the mangrove in La Boquilla. His name is Henry and he not only speaks excellent English but is smart, funny and charges a very reasonable amount for his services. I can provide contact details upon request. Email dmonkman1@cogeco.ca

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Monkmaga P
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have traveled extensively. I am fairly laid back but have stayed all over. Lets face it does not matter where you stay its the experience and what you make of it. Place was gorgeous, totally relaxing, pools were breath taking over looking the ocean, steam room was fantastic. resort is small but it made me realize how much i love small resorts. Beach was OK, great for walks.

I read through all the reviews and the only major issue was sand flies and mosquitoes. We got killed and had welts that itched and burned for a week after we got back. But the rooms were awesome we got this enormous upgraded suites. Nicest I have stayed in just gorgeous. Cartegena is stunning and fun.

Food was great, Never sick. Would come back. Again the only issue was the bites, am I the only one who noticed this. We even lathered on mosquito repellent.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank JackLifeman
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Estelar Playa Manzanillo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Good Morning Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at Estelar Grand Playa Manzanillo Hotel. We are very pleased to read your review and learn that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments which are very important to us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our fist time in Cartagena and we had a great time. We went with a group of approximatley 20 people. The hotel was nice, there was some confusion at check in but it was taken care of quickly. I was not a big fan of the decor and furniture in the rooms but it all worked. Food was a little better than I expected. Service was good. Beach was crappy though...not very clean and not the Carribean beaches that I have been used to...dark sand and dark water ( no seeing the bottom here ). The walled city was by far the best part of the trip...amazing history, lot's of nice restaurants, and of course the buildings and the streets reminded me much of being in a small town in Europe. One more off the bucket list !

Room Tip: we paid the extra for a suite with hot tub...was nice to be on the ground floor....worth spending the extra couple of bucks
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends