“Beautiful central plaza in Trujillo”
Review of Plaza de Armas - CLOSED

Plaza de Armas
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

A must see site in central Trujillo, with beautiful Spanish architecture.

Large safe pedestrian area.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Beautiful dining patio, service excellent but pasta just not that good compared to other places. We loved sitting outside but it is not one of the best restaurants in Cartagena

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Plaza de Armas has the looks of a well-organized restaurant: seemingly good decor, taste, and even good lighting inside.

The reality was quit different, unfortunately. Service was rather terrible (and i'll disclose that i visited this restaurant on January 1st for dinner, which may have something to do with this experience) and slow. Our dinner took over two hours in a restaurant that wasn't even 20% full which is less than acceptable (20 minutes to get our check after multiple requests; we were told "it was being reviewed").

the inside of the restaurant is infinitely better than the terrace which is lit with fluorescent light (i can't imagine any restaurant who has any claim of refinement would do this) and filled with awful music that played at least twice while we were at dinner; i'd prefer my doctor's waiting room's music to this.

But let's discuss the food.

Appetizer: mozzarella di bufala and cherry tomato salad over lettuce. This salad had more salt than i've ever used on any dish. I also doubt the cheese was what it was supposed to be.

Entree: Shrimp with a sweet and sour sauce over potato puree. Wow, i could have made this at home and gotten away with it.

in any case, this is a matter of opinion of course but if you've read other reviews of mine and agree, i would steer away from this restaurant in Cartagena.

1  Thank LeoNYtravel
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Restaurant is an 16 century gun powder warehouse. If night is not as war you can eat at fresco in the back patio. Food is good, not memorable. Service, as in most of Cartagena , is excellent and friendly.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This restaurant is located between the walled city ,in an old building that was used as a gun powder factory . It is ample and the spaces well defined : air conditioned dining area and bar , and one patio
where they have a wonderful live music and ,You can enjoy an outdoor al fresco dining .
I went with my nice and She ordered an appetizer of Prawns in Passion Fruit sauce and Myself had
Croquettes over lobster sauce and provenzal vinegar sauce , as an entree my nice had the Lobster Ravioli and I ordered the Rissoto al Fungi , every thing was delicious . the pasta is very fresh , home made , and the rissoto as good mas any one you find in Italy . This is an Italian restaurant with caribbean notes that honors the culinary tradition of the mother country The wine list is extensive and our sommelier Diego recommended Us a very good and delicious wine , from the Argentinian region of Salta , ( Torrontes Echart Private ) , It was very refreshing and witht a slight note of Lychee fruit flavor
We finish our meals with t an excellent Tiramizu and a passsion fruit Mousse .
The overall experience was unforgettable , for the ambiance , quality of food service and,frienliness of the staff and owner .
I was there before , and always when I visit Cartagena try to dine there once or more times .
I highly recommend Plaza the Armas because it is my favorite retaurant and I find it a very good value in comparison with other and more expensive Cartagena establishments .