Hilton Urumqi(Urumqi)
US$ 159
US$ 102
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Jinjiang Inn Urumchi Hongqi Road(Urumqi)(Great Value!)
US$ 46
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 248
  • Pool
  • Room Service
All reviewsthai restauranta short taxi ridenice toiletrieswholesale marketcommercial centrex ray machinelong rampstar experienceaccor websiterooms are comfortablehotel managementon footinternational chainhotel roomcomfortable staycentral locationsilk road
Reviewed 17 November 2016

Not a happy experience right from the word go. Firstly, the location is not good. There are masses of people selling meat on skewers, but I'm vegetarian. Lots of little shops selling tat. Nowhere to walk except the main road. Pollution big time.

With five minutes of arriving I witnessed two of the cleaning staff having a major set to, screaming and yelling like I've never heard before. I went to tell them to be quiet, which they did for a few seconds, then they started screeching again. One other room cleaner tried to stop them, but no! Totally unacceptable behaviour in a hotel. And this one purports to have stars??

Staff speaking English you cannot even count on the he fingers of one hand. Front desk staff are all smiley faced youths who say 'my English is not good'. Well, they don't have to tell me that. I'm pulling my hair out because of it. Granted, most people staying are Chinese, but surely Accor, Grand Mercure and the owner have enough business acumen to know they will lose out to competitors with these standards. The woman in charge of housekeeping, one front desk person and one man in charge in the restaurant speak good enough English to understand and trouble shoot, and were very helpful. The manager keeps himself hidden, but does speak English.

Getting tea at breakfast became a joke. The first day I asked for green tea. Mei you (there isn't any) I was told. This, in the biggest green tea producing country in the world. Maybe the Chinese drink black tea, but not everyone does. And I don't. The helpful manager realised there was a problem and told the waitress to get me some green tea. OK. Next day same as the first. And so it went on. A joke now after the event, but frustrating first thing in the morning.

Taking a shower became a major undertaking. A rain shower is fine if you're washing your hair, but I don't every day. So I used the hand shower. How to have a puddle rather than a swimming pool on the floor? An antiquated system that needs updating.

Then sleep??? Probably a good idea to sleep between 11am and 5pm. At other times there are loud voiced men shouting to their friends and on their phones down the corridor. Party time is between 1 am and 4 am when delightfully inconsiderate people check in, and bang their doors. Sound insulation here is appalling. However, the bed and pillow are comfortable.

The only reason I'm rating this as 3 and not 1 is because there are some staff who were very pleasant and helpful and have their hands tied by poorly thought through procedures. I blame management and lack of appropriate training for the poor standards in this well known French chain.

Room Tip: Quieter is at the back. If you like loud supermarket music, have a room at the front
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank kinnie0001
Management response:Responded 21 November 2016

Thank you for selecting Grand Mercure Urumqi on your last visit to the city. We apologised sincerely for not meeting up with the expectations that your should experience here. Rest assured that your feedback and comments are very important to us and will give us the opportunity to improve. We have shared all your feedback and comments with our Management Team and we are putting up action plans and working on the improvements for the comfort and convenience of all our guests. We do hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you better and looking forward for your next visit at Grand Mercure Urqumqi.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Nothing remarkable about this place. It's a decent business hotel, but they had helpful english-speaking staff who sorted us out with taxis to the bazaar and then to the train station, and there was nothing not to like about the room. Didn't have breakfast or explore the hotel facilities, and I think there was some loud music coming from somewhere at night (i could hear it faintly but it didn't bother me), but I would still have no problem recommending this place.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Grand Mercure U... H, Manager at Grand Mercure Urumqi Hualing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to have your high regards on our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Urumqi!

Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed there for only 1 night during our Silk Road trip. I found there are room for improvement in housekeeping as the pillows were not properly made up upon check in. There were stains on carpet and washroom. Maybe it's the best Urumqi hotel but it's just not a five star hotel. Reception were not particularly helpful or professional. Breakfast was pretty average. Still it's better than most Xinjiang hotels.

Stayed: October 2016
Grand Mercure U... H, Manager at Grand Mercure Urumqi Hualing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Thank you for staying with us on your last visit and we do appreciate your valuable comments as this will give us the opportunity to improve our facilities, product and service standards. We had since addressed all your concerns to the respective departments and they will try their best to solve it .We look forward for your next visit at Grand Mercure Urumqi.

Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

Good hotel, but miss amenities such as a pool for such a class of hotel. Breakfast buffet offer a large choice of local and international. Loved the Thai restaurant. The location is close to a commodity market, not best for tourism, but a quick taxi ride give access to good restaurant and real market.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Grand Mercure U... H, Manager at Grand Mercure Urumqi Hualing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

Reviewed 8 September 2016

This is a very clean , very well functioning hotel with some English speaking staff at the reception. Rooms are big and modern, nice bathroom. Breakfast is very good with a real big choice. Dinner buffet was also nice, but meals were a bit cold. The surroundings are those of a big city: big roads, busy Chinese business, supermarkets.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Grand Mercure U... H, Manager at Grand Mercure Urumqi Hualing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016