“Not impressed”

Ranked #8 of 1,207 Hotels in Dalian
Seattle, Washington
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I'm not particularly picky but if I'm paying premium prices for a hotel I expect a certain level of luxury. Overall the hotel is OK but I don't think it's worth the price tag. I appreciated that I was brought tea and a wet towel when downstairs. As I was checking in on the 47th floor, I had to keep asking about executive lounge services. One would think that the staff would offer this information for guests who are checking into the executive levels. The hardware definitely shows age. There are lots of dings and scratches on the chairs and tables. The most annoying thing was that upon entering my room, there was a very unpleasant smell of sweat and general body odor. I brought it up with the bellboy and he said he would call housekeeping to take care of it. Lady came in with 2 cans and air freshener and went at it. I had to stop her before she suffocated me with chemicals.

The hall ways are really dark. Maybe it's an attempt to conserve energy? It felt a bit odd. The carpet and bed skirt had some nasty stains. The bathroom was very nice but there wasn't enough water pressure for the shower.

Hotel staff are nice and polite and always smiling. The food in the lounge was so-so. I did not patronize the other facilites. If I were to return to Dalian I would probably give another hotel a try before I decide whether or not I'd come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank arden l
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Thank you for your time advising your stay experience at InterContinental Dalian.

We regret to learn that your stay is not impressed. Your feedback on hotel cleaning is well noted and respective departments have been requested to work on the shortfalls.

We would like to invite you to stay at InterContinental Dalian in your next visit and we would assure you to experience some improvements.

Many thanks once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you in your next visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Qingdao, China
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I am writing this review from the club lounge at the 46th floor....i checked-in at 1:30am...quite helpful front desk at that odd hours....the first problem i encountered - the hotel was unable to provide me an airport-pick-up at that odd hours..but the front desk staff had assured me that taxis at airport to hotel would not take more than 40RMB and he was right. Concierges add great value to this hotel....i think they are the brand ambassadors of this hotel and work as a good well-knit team....they are honest in their views and try to go all-out to make you comfortable, with their limited resources....Club lounge is good with wonderful helpful club lounge staff like Miranda, Sandy, Cathy... i suppose they are some of the others who make you feel-at-home... quiet agile and quick to grasp your needs...view from executive club lounge on the 46th floor is great. Hotel is centrally located, near the railway station and some shopping places....good for a walk here and there along the road....Housekeeping staff are diligent...always enquire of the needs and fill-up....Good job by the team here..... except a few negatives like no helpful maps in english, no endeavour to think about improvements - they seem to be more satisfied doing the same - an attitude problem i could see........ house cars are very expensive....front-desk staff to be trained on cordiality, knowledge and they also need to be stressed of their important position in the hotel to make the guests feel-at-home.....In all, a good place to stay, for relaxation, for business and to enjoy the city/sea view.

Room Tip: Try and get the sea/harbour view rooms....the other side are city-view rooms relatively a lesser att...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank VAS1586
GeoffreyRyan1, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thanks for taking the time to share a review of your last stay with us in October 2011. We are happy to hear that you had a enjoyable time with us. My colleagues are thrilled to hear your wonderful feedback and look forward to your return.
We are the only luxury hotel in Dalian, and my GM and all of our colleagues are aiming to have the best service in this city. Therefore, we really appreciate your suggestions for our service.

My colleagues are very friendly as you mentioned and are very happy to receive your positive feedback.

Do not hesitate to contact us on reservation@intercontidl.com, we will be happy to assist you with your reservations. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I have been staying at the IC Dalian since 2009 and just love this hotel. So much better then the Shangri-La. Give it a try you will not be disappointed. Certainly one of Intercontinental's premier properties worldwide.

Houston
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed there for five days in September and we could not have been more pleased. The accommodations are really first class and it helps that the front staff speaks English (although you would have expected better English for this tier of hotels). The breakfast was simply superb by any standard! We actually used the spa services and were impressed at how late they were open and how reasonable the prices were. We got the in-room foot massage/body massage and it was worth every penny. We actually used the fitness center every day and the facilities were very well managed. They had lockers/showers etc etc... I actually took swimming lessons every day that I was there (25 USD per lesson) and the instructors were so patient and encouraging. Leo is the best!!! Intercontinental, keep him!!

2 Thank bastropchic
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I am writing this review from the hotel room right now: this is my last day of a 7 nights stay for business.

The breakfast service (at Cafe@6) brings my overall hotel rating from a 4.5 to a 2. The cafe staffs, from waiters/waitress to kitchen staff behind the various food stations, are badly in need of some basic hospitality training. They don't enjoy working there (or helping customers) and it shows. Here are some examples I experienced over the week:

1. Waiter/waitress would clean up and reset my table when I leave to get more food. So when I return, I would find all my silverware, coffee, orange juice disappeared. This happened to me 3 times in the last 6 days. Worst yet, no one even bothered to bring me another set of silverware or my lost coffee. I did ask someone to bring them back when this happened for the first time, but she was visibly upset that I was still around. Mind you, there were plenty of tables around - so it's not like they need to turn the tables around for waiting customers.

2. The older lady behind the noodle station was quite a character, I call her the noodle Nazi (from the soup Nazi in Seinfeld). She really looks disgusted when anyone walk up to the station asking for a bowl of noodle soup. She would drop what she's doing to scold a junior staff for 3 minutes, while customers await for their noodles. And once I asked her what kind of meat was in the stew, she answered: "I don't know, do you want it or not?".......

3. Too many others to list........

4. I brought the service concern to the attention of the lady cafe manager one morning, she listened and acknowledged, but the very next morning my table was wiped out again when I left to refill my orange juice. OK, at least I saved my juice, that's an improvement.

5. This last one has nothing to do with the service, but the restaurant is in need of a more powerful ventilation system. You can't walk out without smelling like you've been frying fish for a few hours. In fact, my clients started to guess what breakfast I had from the greasy smell I was carrying.... :-)

Anyway, if you cared to read all this far, here are some good things about the hotel:
- generous sized room
- front desk and floor staff were mostly friendly and pleasant
- convenient location

All in all, hardware is at par with other Intercontinentals, but the Cafe service needs major improvement. Most likely I will join my colleagues at the Shangri La down the street next time.

- From a Priority Club Platinum Member