“Need improvement”
Review of Jin'guan Hotel

Jin'guan Hotel
Ranked #113 of 201 Hotels in Shantou
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a business room and supposedly the hotel did the "no-smoke treatment". When we walked in, it still had a very strong cigarette smoke smell. So I thought I should turn on the exhaust fan to air it out but it turned out to be worse because the whole building and all the air ducts were probably even more smokey so I was coughing all night and my throat was very uncomfortable. Not a lot of choices with the breakfast either.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We had 2 rooms at this hotel for a whopping 7 nights. The rooms were not clean, carpet was grimmy, rooms were smokey. The only consolation was the sheets, they were clean. Breakfast was typical Chinese style, enough to go your stomach if you didn't go too late. The standard of hygiene was consistent throughout the establishment. The 3 lifts were all equally slow and had no ventilation. In addition, the locals smoked in the lifts. There is no taxi service, you have to try to get on off the streets yourself. There is a club of some sort on the 6th level of the hotel so you will encounter all sorts of characters, especially at night. For $50+ a night, it is definitely overpriced.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I finally made up my mind to right a review about this hotel. I made a booking as usually through booking.com. The price for the standard room was approximately 80$ ( breakfast was included but its another story)
When I approached reception, it took me a bit of a time to understand Chinese staff, because nobody speaks english. When I went to the elevator, there was one chinese lad who was smiling and talking to me about smth..he was proposing me prostitutes.hmm body language useful thing. I refused and hurried up to my room.
Room!!! the room was clean and small, there was no refrigerator in the room,but some snacks and drinks were on the shelf.
When I woke up in the morning and wanted to have my breakfast I went to the breakfast room..It was still very early but buffet was already empty, I guess chinese people wake up too early than we do. And what breakfast they eat is terrible for our people.They did not even have coffee..I tried to ask for a coffee and got instant one.So the breakfast was disappointing.

Generally if you are not greedy and can afford to stay in a better hotel, then do it!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2013

On arrival at the hotel was attended to quite quickly. There was 1 staff member with a little english speaking experience. Had to find the room myself as no porters offered. Smoking was allowed in the hotel including in the lift. Had a high floor with good views and included a window that could be opened.

On arrival in the room, noticed the bottom shelf (of 3) with the usual chips, drinks, etc. On the middle shelf however, was a cardboard display unit containing condoms and another sign with the prices....inital thought was that I was in the wrong hotel..lol
Bed was very hard, almost bounced off when I sat on it. Bathroom was ok. No coffee and kettle broken and they didn't want to replace.

Breakfast, as previous comments, it is not set up for westerners in any way. Staff were treating the place like their own lounge room - sleeping, having coffee or food or just walking around. The tables were not being cleared. You had to do it yourself into a little bin next to the table. Only tea available - no coffee. Could only eat the fried rice as the smells of the other food made me feel ill. (I had eaten local chinese previously).There was no other meals offered.

Requested a taxi and was told to go to the street and find one myself.
Old hotel but a couple of floors were being maintained??????????????
Never again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2013

After a short taxi ride from the airport express bus-stop (10 yuan) we arrived at the hotel. Check-in was efficiently quick and friendly - all the front office staff are very helpful and friendly with directions, recomendations and any help you may need to make the most of your stay in Shantou. Our rooms, business suites, were fully furnished/equipped for business meetings, leisure/pleasure. Bed very comfortable - nice firm support. Bathroom - complete toiletries. Shower - good water pressure and temperature control = enjoyable bathtime! There are many restaruants, bakeries, mom n pop eateries, convenience stores, wet market, boutiques and also a police station within walking distance from the hotel. If the weather turns nasty, the helpful ladies at the front desk can help you to order-in from nearby restaruants.
The only letdown is the hotel's restaruant. The food served for our breakfast was very mediocre, something to fill your tummies and you've to be very unenthusiastic about food or eating to enjoy it, but..., the service staff....they're eating or watching tv or sleeping , all done in your presence!!!
I would certainly stay in this hotel again, especially the business suite (value for money), but eat my breakfast elsewhere to get a positive start to the day.
From the new airport, take the airport express to Shantou (20 yuan per pax). Alight at the 2nd dropoff and take a taxi to the hotel (10yuan per taxi not per pax). Most taxi ride in town cost between 10 - 15 yuan per taxi.
Street food is cheap and safe to consume unless you've a very sensitive tummy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends