“Good experience! Minor things to improve”
Review of Le Meridien Xiamen

Le Meridien Xiamen
Ranked #2 of 1,269 Hotels in Xiamen
Melbourne, Australia
“Good experience! Minor things to improve”
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

Fantastic entrance, nice rooms and fantastic beds! The details in this hotel are very much thought of and it is nice to relax here after meetings in Xiamen. The gym and spa is very nice as well!

Special compliments to Sunny from the gym am Yulia from the club who both were so pleasant in making me feel welcome but also to have just fun chats with each other! So nice while being by yourself in a hotel for a week!

Only thing that needs improvement is te english skills of the Chinese staff. This can be very under acceptable level.
This was my second stay here and both times i experienced staff who did not understand me. Got the wrong food while ordering roomservice and spa staff did not undersand me while asking questions about treatments.

Overall i love this hotel and for doing business in Xiamen i always feel so relaxed at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bergo
matteve, General Manager at Le Meridien Xiamen, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Bergo,

Thanks for taking the time to review Le Meridien Xiamen.

It is always great to receive positive feedback about our facilities but importantly the service offered by the associates. I’ll be sure to pass on your positive comments to Sunny & Yulia.

I will also certainly look at the small areas for improvement you mention.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Xiamen!

Regards - Matthew
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My hubby and I have been to Xiamen for serval times, there are lots of specialty lodgings in Xiamen,most of them are lovely,usually we would love to stay at specialty lodgings,instead of choosing a luxury hotel.This time,I travelled with my best friends,after our discussion,we preferred to stay at a luxury hotel and we chose this hotel.

It is situated on a hill and far away from bustle,very quiet! It's not expensive to take a taxi from airport to the hotel.The hotel also provides the shuttle service from hotel to downtown.

The hotel is morden and stylish,environment is beautiful,atmosphere is great.Our room was chic,clean and big enough,stepped out on the private balcony,we could enjoy the garden view of this hotel.The bed was comfortable,all of us slept well.

Service is great,staffs are helpful and nice.

The brunch was great,there was a wide selection of food and drink,food is tasty.

Overall,it's pretty good!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Penelope L
matteve, General Manager at Le Meridien Xiamen, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Penelope L,

Thanks for your recent review of our Hotel.

We were all very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly enjoyed the service offered by our associates and the relaxing & natural environment.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien Xiamen in the future,

Regards - Matthew
Kunshan, China
Reviewed 19 August 2012

On my last 3 days trip to Xiamen I chose this Hotel, because of it's description. I wanted to relax for some time. At check-in evrything was fine, friendly and fast. Perfect. I booked the Junior Suite, because I was with my family there. The Suite was nice decorated, but it's up to everyone's taste. It was clean and the sleeping quality was very good. And this point, I've said, very nice hotel, but then we've tried the restaurant in the lobby (all day dining). This was almost of a level of "not acceptable" for such kind of hotel. The service was a little desaster. All of the people there talked to me directly in chinese (ok I can speak chinese, but they didn't knew it before). Quite surprising and not the biggest issue, but some will feel struggeling. Most annoying was the service. People were walking around like robots with no focus on the guest. Sometimes the restaurant is full and 3 waiter standing around some computer even a lot of guests in the restaurant. They also never ask you if you want a beer or wine for dinner. Ok, it is not included in the buffet price, but I think some people would like to enjoy a beer instead of the free drinks at the restaurant, which is by the way very limited. Some areas in the restaurant seems also not in the spot of the waiter. And if you are lucky, you get one and order a coffee in the morning, I had to remind 3 times by running after them within 20 minutes. This is a no-go.
The food quality is around average, maybe a little below. Not exactly what I would have expected from this hotel. I eat already much better in some local chinese Hotel brands for a 3rd of the price. For the ones who want to use the swimming pool, you have to wear a swimming cap! If you do not have one, you can buy it at the hotel but you have to pay hefty 50 rmb for it.
Overall this could be in my eyes a very nice hotel, but overall the restaurant is not recommendable for this price level. I enjoyed a very friendly check-in and check-out, nice room, but the restaurant is the reason for not staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Bobtown55,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

I do apologize for your less than perfect experience. This is certainly not consistent with the feedback we usually receive regarding the service levels at this hotel.

I can assure you I will be sharing your comments with the restaurant team as without honest feedback such as yours we are unable to improve the service we offer our guests.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards
Matthew
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Look. It's Xiamen. I get it, but let's get to the meat.

We had high hopes for Xiamen, my freshly minted fiancee and I. As this time of year is in-between mega summer holiday time and the fall National Day and Autumn Festival, we got a good rate, so we booked this hotel. It's super clean, staff is friendly enough, but I just can't figure out the rationale for Starwood's likely massive investment on the hill.

1. This is not a resort.

It may come across as one, but there's no views worth having, no outdoor pool or relaxation environment, and generally it's a cold business hotel that charges almost 15 USD a day for internet.

2. The breakfast is not good.

It's a mix of east and west, and there's nothing gross about it, but for the price you pay, don't bother. Getting up for breakfast for westerners is always hard in China, and that's what they hope you'll feel. If you're on a company account, I'm sure you'll eat this, but if you're in this town to travel and try anything - go out to the streets and eat some local food. Local food may be a dirtier, less appealing version of Taiwanese food (where's the shallots and flavor?!), but it's a better experience than this.

3. Staff don't speak English well (or at all).

I speak pretty good Mandarin Chinese after living in Shanghai for several years, yet they were more interested in just speaking to my fiancee. My point is this: I'm at an international hotel, the room is in my name, and you don't know the relationship between my companion and I - don't do what's easy for you, do what conveniences ME the customer. Sure, she can handle things for me, but I speak Chinese just fine to cover these circumstances, AND you should feel lucky that I do. I wonder what random incomers experience when they arrive alone and have no Chinese language ability, or a companion to assist. Quite unprofessional and uninviting, I felt.

4. Rooms are small, but very comfortable.

We were upgraded to the 5th floor Starwood Preferred Guest floor, as if it were a privilege, not an entitlement (given my status). We had a spectacular (doh!) view of a hill that we faced, with no comfortable furniture to enjoy upon it other than a small ceramic stool. Rainforest shower in the room was nice, but arrangement of the bathroom was awkward.

5. Go to Hotel Indigo.

After getting drenched during our jaunt over to Gulangyu, the historic island a short ferry from the Dongdu port (go at your own risk!), we wandered our way to Hotel Indigo on the main avenue, and were offered towels and robes and great courtesy for our simple drink order. All we wanted was a brief reprieve from the storm before taxis would again be available, and what we received was a warm welcome, good drinks, and a beautiful view of the bay as the view gradually cleared up.

We didn't see the rooms, but we know Hotel Indigo in Shanghai. The service was beyond extraordinary at Hotel Indigo - skip Le Meridien and get a better location, service team, and environment for your earned cash.

Xiamen, as a city, is a generally welcoming and unique place in China - I can't say it's my favorite, but if you find yourself there, slow down your pace and have a nice look around. If your visa situation permits, a day or two in the unique Taiwanese island of Jinmen/Kinmen (30 minutes by boat) is well worth a look, particularly if you've never been to Taiwan and would like to see the contrast between environment, people, and tastes.

Eh.

Room Tip: Higher floors, and make sure to get a king bed in your reservation as many are paired twins.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zach F
Dear Dr Forbes,

We would like to thank you for posting a review of our hotel.

We are disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with various aspects of the hotel. Certainly we will take your feedback on board and action what we can to improve the service and facilties of the hotel.

Warm regards - Matthew
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 August 2012

What a wonderful stay we had at the Le Meridien Xiamen. It was a work trip for myself but my family accompanied me. It’s the third time I’ve stayed at the Le Meridien Xiamen and will most certainly return on my next visit to Xiamen.

I love the location of the hotel, nestled in nature it makes a very pleasant change to spend several days in the hills, surrounded by trees. The morning walks before breakfast are a very relaxing way to start the day.

The staff are an excellent team of hospitality professionals. The check-in and check-out staff are very professional, Eric was very helpful when we checked in and is very personable.

The food at the Chinese restaurant is some of the best Chinese food I’ve eaten in my 10 years of living in China, several of the dishes were better than my favourite Cantonese restaurant in Shanghai (where there is significantly more restaurant competition).

The service at breakfast was exceptional, with all the staff very attentive and very service oriented. In particular: Yusuf and Saffian. I had Eggs Benedict on 2 of the mornings and they were absolutely perfectly cooked. From speaking with other business leaders in Xiamen the Le Meridien has a very good reputation for F&B within the local community and from my experience this is quite rare with (even) 5 star hotels in China.

The local staff at the business centre were very helpful and attentive, especially with our two young boys (5 & 7 years), helping to pour them drinks and serve them food.

Thank you again to all the team at the Le Meridien Xiamen for helping to make our stay a very memorable one.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Jim G,

Thanks for taking the time to review Le Meridien Xiamen.

Warmest regards – Matthew